MV Agusta Forum banner

Heat wrap to headers

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  lee 
#1 ·
If I add heat wrap to my exhaust headers..does that create more heat at the panpipes ..Would be great if I could get some advice from guys who have done this ..

joe

#2 ·
Hello Joe! I know you know this: Theoretically speaking, since I have not wrapped my headers, thus no empirical data, the heat held in by the wrap must go somewhere; therefore, it will transfer down the pipe via forced convection and will, then, start to transfer out at the earliest opportunity via conduction. What's left will be forced out the rear .....:smoking::flamethro

#4 ·
What moves from one place must go to another.....

#5 ·
Joe- I don't know the reason for your wanting to heat wrap but I assume it's to cut down on radiant heat from the pipes. The other "performance" reason for doing it is to retain heat in the pipe thereby increasing the speed of the exhaust gases through the pipe which should ideally be around 300 feet per second.

I personally have never used wrap but do know a couple of guys who have. It will reduce the radiant heat etc., but causes discoloration of the wrapped section of pipe should it be removed. There is also the question of it's effect on Ti pipes. Something to do with making them brittle or some negative effect. Lastly, imo, it's just plain ugly as hell and can cause clearance problems in the tighter areas.

I much prefer having the pipes metal/ceramic coated, both inside and out. The wrap only covers the outside and the inside is just as important. I have always used "Jet Hot" but there are similar outfits which do the same thing. Jet Hot advertises a reduction in radiant heat of 300 degrees F, and I believe it, as well as gas flow speed increase. As for the Ti situation I did the MC Ti pipes on my Tambo and to date, even though I no longer own it, know of no problems with having done it. (Yes Carl, I covered that beautiful blue, and I do enjoy my life here on Neanderthal island).

Lee

#6 ·
Which begs the question, Lee: If you ceramic coated Titanium pipes, which were presumably purchased for light weight, how much weight did the Ceramic Coating add?

#7 ·
I wraped my Ti headers and it was a mistake. The wrap takes up valuable air flow space where it's needed most. I took it off and sent the complete system (no Cat) to ceramic coat inside and out. To is hard to coat, so ask if they can do it for sure. Ceramic is the way to go.
"Now....go out and do the right thing!"

#9 ·
...ah, so the Bat is a "Light in the Loafers" model...good to know for whenever, if ever, I get a set. (OF titanium pipes, you bastards!):smoking:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.