setting up a work shop - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

setting up a work shop

I want to be able to make some small parts from scratch and need some suggestions on tools that would be a must and some that would be nice to have. I figure as a minimum I would need a drill press, band saw, and metal lathe.

If you do this kind of work I need your advice. I have never used a metal lathe so that will be a learning experience. What extras do I need for the lathe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 03:17 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
You need a Bridgeport or vertical mill, not a drill press. You need a metal lathe. You need a tig welder. A band saw is nice to have but not a need to have. 4' bench lathe is plenty big enough for small parts. You need a belt sander. You need a grinding wheel to sharpen the tool bits.

The lathe and mill will be the cheap parts. The tooling for them is expensive. Especially if you need carbide, but if you are messing around with aluminum high speed steel will do.

You will need a mentor. guys like Brian make it look easy, but it ain't.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 04:03 PM

I like these sites:

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/index.php

http://littlemachineshop.com/info/bu...?ID=1335896676

B750 and B1078 RR both gone now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."~Mark Twain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cdamb; 07-12-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
You need a Bridgeport or vertical mill, not a drill press. You need a metal lathe. You need a tig welder. A band saw is nice to have but not a need to have. 4' bench lathe is plenty big enough for small parts. You need a belt sander. You need a grinding wheel to sharpen the tool bits.

The lathe and mill will be the cheap parts. The tooling for them is expensive. Especially if you need carbide, but if you are messing around with aluminum high speed steel will do.

You will need a mentor. guys like Brian make it look easy, but it ain't.
Carl you pretty much covered it.
Regarding making some 'parts' from scratch..the equipment you 'need' will certaintly depend on 'what' you intend to make and obviously master to achieve the desired end result.
I am 'self taught' on the equipment I have as I am a carpenter/joiner by trade...however have had many sucessful years in model making/engineering as I posted recently http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47074.
Along with the 'machinery'..you'll need various measuring tools (vernier gauges, measuring calipers, steel rules, calculator, pencil & paper etc) an array of drill bits, taps & dies etc etc.
But most of all you'll need a.. problem solving, imaginative, creative, patient approach to what you plan to make..'seeing' it in the various stages in your head 'before and during' it's construction. 'Knowing' what you can do with various metals..because each of them will 'work' differently.
Start slow to get a 'feel' for how the metal reacts..the speed you turn it at..the amount of metal you 'remove' .. lubricant etc.(stainless steel versus mild steel versus brass versus aluminium..etc etc)
All the best with your venture...
Brian
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
You might consider a course at the local technical school. Probably be a wise investment of a few months just for a basic machine shop operations class.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Established Member

number2

I think you need one of these:
Attached Images

MV Agusta - My Correct Alot
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the great comments. The part about the class a good idea
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 12:15 AM

Good you are thinking about what you need. After a lifetime I finally have the BIG 3, a mill, a lathe and a TIG welder all at the same place at the same time. I wish I had a school I could go to to learn some basic machining skills but I will have to rely on what I already know and work hard at it by self study and doing.
Having the correct tools for the job is wonderful. I was a welder in my former life and now I just look at what some other guys did and how the welds are holding up over time and service life.
Rule #1 for a shop is figure out how much room you will need and how big to make it then double it.
Like was said tooling is not cheap. Don't try to do it all at once and get what you need as you go. The mill will take the place of a drill press for sure but it is still nice to have a small one. I still have mine and use it all the time because it is easy and fast to do simple operations with.
Good luck with your efforts. Always protect your eyes and your hands!

If Adam and Eve were Chinese, we would still be in paradise
because they would have ignored the apple and eaten the snake!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 06:01 AM

That's a great suggestion from Ed regarding enrolling in a class in the technical school as it will give you a feel for this equipment especially as you say you've ''never used a metal lathe''. It'll also give you an idea for the size/type of equipment you'll need...before you spend any 'big' money unnecessarily.. and you can get 'hands on'.
Also as Roderick (Sagerider) says don't buy all the equipment at once rather get what you need as you go..great advice.
But as I was trying to 'get at' above...making stuff successfully doesn't necessarily depend on the amount or professional quality of the machinery...rather your mastery of it and your thoughtful approach to each stage toward the finished product...a bit like the statement...''it aint 'what' you ride but 'how' you ride''.
It's not work..it's a hobby so 'time' is not an issue...the 'end result' is what matters not how fast you made it. Enjoy it and apply the advice given and you may surprise yourself.
Brian.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

thanks. It would be mainly a hobby and is something I've always wanted to do. Maybe I will make some stuff you guys can Buy . I might become another Jesse James

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode