Flasher Unit for LED turn signals, early F4 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Flasher Unit for LED turn signals, early F4

If this has been posted in the past, apologies for the repeat. I've changed out the standard turn signal lights (front and rear) with LED version. More on the details of that conversion in a future post.

In my first modification -- rear LED taillight with integrated turn signal, I re-wired the system and used external resistors. When I decided that I needed more visual impact with respect to the turn signal part, I removed the external resistors and changed out the flasher to an LED version. Much cleaner installation and you don't need to worry about where to place the resistors. Less extra weight as well.

The LED flasher works perfectly.

I bought the flasher from SuperBrightLED.com $12.95 plus shipping. The one I bought is FL2-RED. The size is perfect -- fits snugly between the other 2 relays. The only issue was the determine which wire went to which connector. You only have 2 choices so not a big deal.

Here is the link for the flasher:

[URL="http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fflashers.ht m"]

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fflashers.ht m

I've bought LEDs from them before and they have been great to deal with. FYI the image on the site shows it with a L bracket connected to the flasher. It is provided in the package separately. You do not need to use it.

If you are considering replacing your turn signal bulbs (or the light fixtures themselves), using the LED flasher will simplify the install process and is less work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 04:33 AM

New Site Garage
G'Day,

Thanks for that info mate. I changed to LED tail/indicators and used resistors. Will maybe try the flasher unit later. What extra visual impact do you get with the flasher unit?

Cheers

Deano
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

hi Deano > I don't see a difference with light output or flash pattern between the flasher vs resistors. In my first build with a combined LED brake/turn signal unit I went the resistor route. With the new LED turn signal on a separate circuit, I was running into space and wiring issues -- and being a designer, did not like how all the wires, connectors, etc. were starting to look like a science project rather than a "stock" look. Now it looks real clean and professional.

Going with the flasher has several advantages:

1. Less wiring work
2. No heat dissipation issue -- heat coming off the resistors
3. No space issue -- finding a good place for the resistors can be a challenge
4. Flasher fits perfectly between the other 2 relays

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode