Bridgestone BT 016 (Are they any good) - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

Question Bridgestone BT 016 (Are they any good)

Can anyone who generally rides quite hard, through their own experience give me the heads-up on Bridgestone BT 016's please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 06:09 AM

I don't go as hard as you, but I do wear the rear tire to the edges.
I fitted the 016P with the Soft front version. Wears very even, good to the edge of the tire. Comparable to the oem Dunlop Qualifiers that came on the Brute from new (which I could't source when they were finished).
They heat up fast, and are very predictable. The feel didn't change for the life of the tire either.
I don't have a lot of experience of them in the wet, so can't comment on that.
I do like the multi compound with the harder compound in the middle to cope with the boring highways to get to the twisty bits.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 06:16 AM
Established Member

Can't say I ride hard, but prol similar to Revhead. Dad has BT016's on his CBR1000RR and they grip fine to me. Never had an issue with them.

Deano.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 06:29 AM

Ade, ran them on my 910r for two days at Le Mans, overall very impressed. Previously I have run Pirelli BSB Supercorsa and found the Bridgestone's to offer slightly better grip although I did feel the Bridgestone front did not inspire the same degree of confidence as the Pirelli.

I also found the rear was very susceptible to tearing and I think you need a good rear set up to avoid this. A friend was running the same tyre, same day, with a well set up Ohlins rear shock and far less although tearing was evident on his bike. I subsequently read however, that it is important to continually monitor the pressure of this particular tyre as it wears and slowly reduce the psi as this can help with the Bridgestone.

I am aware of the need to monitor tyre pressures whilst on track, but have not had the same problems with the Pirelli's.

Hope this helps

Dave

Stuck on a rock off the coast of France

Last edited by JerseyBrut; 05-21-2012 at 06:33 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBrut View Post
Ade, ran them on my 910r for two days at Le Mans, overall very impressed. Previously I have run Pirelli BSB Supercorsa and found the Bridgestone's to offer slightly better grip although I did feel the Bridgestone front did not inspire the same degree of confidence as the Pirelli.

I also found the rear was very susceptible to tearing and I think you need a good rear set up to avoid this. A friend was running the same tyre, same day, with a well set up Ohlins rear shock and far less although tearing was evident on his bike. I subsequently read however, that it is important to continually monitor the pressure of this particular tyre as it wears and slowly reduce the psi as this can help with the Bridgestone.

I am aware of the need to monitor tyre pressures whilst on track, but have not had the same problems with the Pirelli's.

Hope this helps

Dave
Thanks for the input boys!!

The reason I ask is that I have fitted a set to my own bike and fitted a pair to a pals. My pal was out on the TT course on Saturday afternoon and experienced a big front end slide at Windy Corner which is a fast right which is pretty much on camber.

I can't work out why this would have happened as the tyres would have certainly been well warmed up after doing 150mph+ along the mountain mile and the he would have not been hanging about going round the 4 rights making up the Veranda, which if anywhere would be a more likely place to have had the front drifting a bit.

He reckons it was a close thing and the front just let go.?? All the reports I have rad so far would go to suggest that they warm up quite quickly.

FWIW the Ron Haslam race school at Silverstone use them all the time.

I put 33 psi in both front and rear on his 1000s He was so shaken by the whole experience he has told me that the bike will never turn another wheel with the Bridgestone's fitted.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 09:08 AM
Al-

i've ridden on them for a few years before switching to dunlop Q2s last year. I found the 016 work very well, but I am not riding the TT course so that is likely a whole different animal. What I have found is that I had much better feel running a BT003 front tire with the 016 rear. I was burning through rear tires 2-3 times as fast as the fronts, so the softer front worked out well for me when I'd set it up correctly for that change.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adecritten View Post
Thanks for the input boys!!

... and experienced a big front end slide at Windy Corner which is a fast right which is pretty much on camber.

... and the he would have not been hanging about going round the 4 rights making up the Veranda, which if anywhere would be a more likely place to have had the front drifting a bit.

... FWIW the Ron Haslam race school at Silverstone use them all the time.

I put 33 psi in both front and rear on his 1000s He was so shaken by the whole experience he has told me that the bike will never turn another wheel with the Bridgestone's fitted.

Ade, the psi seems about right for the road and it is interesting to hear that he had the slide from the front end.

From my two years living on the IoM, it couldn't have been a gust of wind (no pun intended) that pushed the front end at that corner? Just it does howl up to that point on Snaefell.

I also would expect that his throttle was pretty much positive all the way on the Veranda so the rear will be loaded whereas going into Windy, I seem to recall that it is slightly downhill, so was he still on the brakes going in, ran deep and chopped the throtlle?

To be honest he probably will never understand the reasons for it as these things happen so quickly, but I am giving them another go at Le Mans in August this year so it will be interesting to see if I get the same sensations at the same corner as I did last time which was the left going into the Dunlop Chicane.

I nearly ended it all one weekend in the Glen Helen section, soon after that I registered on a MAC course with the Police over there. Told the officer about the incident and he insisted we ride it a number of times and explained where I went wrong. I was a very lucky person to have survived and will never forget that moment. The morale is I hope your friend doesn't give up on the Bridgestone's and persists with building up his confidence again slowly with them as it is more than likely to have been an external influence (rider input, wind etc) than a trait of the tyres themselves.

If you have fitted them to your F4 then let us know how you get on and I will try and remember to post up my feedback from using them again in August.

Dave

Stuck on a rock off the coast of France

Last edited by JerseyBrut; 05-21-2012 at 12:16 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 11:59 AM

Hi it sounds like your mate just overloaded the front windy is a well quick corner and you islanders take riding the mountain for granted to my knowledge there is no public road in the world that can stress both man and machine like the mountain road maybe he just made a mistake where abouts in the turn did the tire let go?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 02:15 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
The BT-016 tires are what I have on my Monster S4Rs and my 748S...the pitch was that they are good for moderately aggressive street riding and track days, but that they will probably fade during aggressive track riding.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Ade, I ran a set on Gina....did a track day with them, too. They worked very well in my opinion. I ran 33 psi front and rear on the street, a bit lower on the track. (29 front 26 rear I think???)

I tried them out because they were supposed to live longer on the center tread in freeway use, which I get to do a lot of since the twisty roads are 90 miles each way from home.

They lived up to their billing; however, I wore the front tire out on the sides well before the rear was used up.

That said, never had any scary moments on the front, got to do a big smoky burnout to finish off the rear and am now riding on Michelin Pilot Pures (also very happy with these).

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode