MV Agusta Forum banner

Bridgestone BT 016 (Are they any good)

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  esq'z me 
#1 ·
Can anyone who generally rides quite hard, through their own experience give me the heads-up on Bridgestone BT 016's please?

#2 ·
I don't go as hard as you, but I do wear the rear tire to the edges.
I fitted the 016P with the Soft front version. Wears very even, good to the edge of the tire. Comparable to the oem Dunlop Qualifiers that came on the Brute from new (which I could't source when they were finished).
They heat up fast, and are very predictable. The feel didn't change for the life of the tire either.
I don't have a lot of experience of them in the wet, so can't comment on that.
I do like the multi compound with the harder compound in the middle to cope with the boring highways to get to the twisty bits.

#4 · (Edited)
Ade, ran them on my 910r for two days at Le Mans, overall very impressed. Previously I have run Pirelli BSB Supercorsa and found the Bridgestone's to offer slightly better grip although I did feel the Bridgestone front did not inspire the same degree of confidence as the Pirelli.

I also found the rear was very susceptible to tearing and I think you need a good rear set up to avoid this. A friend was running the same tyre, same day, with a well set up Ohlins rear shock and far less although tearing was evident on his bike. I subsequently read however, that it is important to continually monitor the pressure of this particular tyre as it wears and slowly reduce the psi as this can help with the Bridgestone.

I am aware of the need to monitor tyre pressures whilst on track, but have not had the same problems with the Pirelli's.

Hope this helps

Dave

#5 ·
Thanks for the input boys!!

The reason I ask is that I have fitted a set to my own bike and fitted a pair to a pals. My pal was out on the TT course on Saturday afternoon and experienced a big front end slide at Windy Corner which is a fast right which is pretty much on camber.

I can't work out why this would have happened as the tyres would have certainly been well warmed up after doing 150mph+ along the mountain mile and the he would have not been hanging about going round the 4 rights making up the Veranda, which if anywhere would be a more likely place to have had the front drifting a bit.

He reckons it was a close thing and the front just let go.?? All the reports I have rad so far would go to suggest that they warm up quite quickly.

FWIW the Ron Haslam race school at Silverstone use them all the time.

I put 33 psi in both front and rear on his 1000s He was so shaken by the whole experience he has told me that the bike will never turn another wheel with the Bridgestone's fitted.

:jsm:

#6 ·
i've ridden on them for a few years before switching to dunlop Q2s last year. I found the 016 work very well, but I am not riding the TT course so that is likely a whole different animal. What I have found is that I had much better feel running a BT003 front tire with the 016 rear. I was burning through rear tires 2-3 times as fast as the fronts, so the softer front worked out well for me when I'd set it up correctly for that change.

#8 ·
Hi it sounds like your mate just overloaded the front windy is a well quick corner and you islanders take riding the mountain for granted to my knowledge there is no public road in the world that can stress both man and machine like the mountain road maybe he just made a mistake where abouts in the turn did the tire let go?

#9 ·
The BT-016 tires are what I have on my Monster S4Rs and my 748S...the pitch was that they are good for moderately aggressive street riding and track days, but that they will probably fade during aggressive track riding.

#10 ·
Ade, I ran a set on Gina....did a track day with them, too. They worked very well in my opinion. I ran 33 psi front and rear on the street, a bit lower on the track. (29 front 26 rear I think???)

I tried them out because they were supposed to live longer on the center tread in freeway use, which I get to do a lot of since the twisty roads are 90 miles each way from home.

They lived up to their billing; however, I wore the front tire out on the sides well before the rear was used up.

That said, never had any scary moments on the front, got to do a big smoky burnout to finish off the rear and am now riding on Michelin Pilot Pures (also very happy with these).

#11 ·
I've had the BT-016 on two Aprilia RSVRs, and based on my rave reviews have a few buddies on them now as well, including my brother on his '05 GSXR 1000. They warm pretty quickly and we've found them to stick like glue. I run about the same for pressures, 32 to maybe 34 max on the front. Wear is even.

IMO they're better than others I've had recently including Metz M3s, Dunlop Qualifiers, Michelin Pilot Powers, or the stock Metz Rennsports one of my Apes came with.

I'm thinking of trying their new S20 (I think it's called?). Seems wet performance was a common complaint on the 016, and the claim is these are better in this and several other areas.

#12 ·
I'm with Ed here...I ran 28/28 for the track and 33 on the street.

#15 ·
They came with good recommendation I suppose, but now I have heard that the front decided to slide on my pals bike I just don't know!!

As an adage I have now learnt that he was having a bit of a dice with his brother who was driving a Ferrari 456!!

After a face to face with my pal about it the scenario I gather was that he was trying to take the inside line on that corner when all this happened, as far as speed is concerned who knows??

What I will add is that his brother is very quick indeed in the Ferrari and the pair of them are competitive as hell, so putting two and two together it could be a number of things that caused the problem and the tyres may not in fact actually be 100% to blame after all.

:popcorn:​

#16 ·
Not sure I'd want to race a car with a bike over any road.....:jsm:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.