re: MDI-carbon fiber in CA., USA - MVAgusta.net
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Established Member
 
toddburk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portland,Oregon
Posts: 241
re: MDI-carbon fiber in CA., USA

Anyone purchased any carbon fiber from MDI-Carbon Fiber located in Ca.? If so, can you speak to the quality, customer service, etc?

Best,

Todd

2007 F41000R
2010 Ducati SF
2008 MV Brutale 910 S
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs
2006 Triumph Speed Triple
toddburk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 04:23 AM
Senior Member
 
adecritten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,025
Thumbs up CAG's the man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddburk View Post
Anyone purchased any carbon fiber from MDI-Carbon Fiber located in Ca.? If so, can you speak to the quality, customer service, etc?

Best,

Todd

Have you given CAG a shout, his Carbon Fibre is A1 quality, great price combined with excellent service too.


adecritten is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Established Member
 
toddburk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portland,Oregon
Posts: 241
Thanks Ade. Will give Cag a shout. Cheers mate.

Todd

2007 F41000R
2010 Ducati SF
2008 MV Brutale 910 S
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs
2006 Triumph Speed Triple
toddburk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Senior Member
 
MV-Woodster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: LONDON
Posts: 1,077
Give jds a call top notch carbon won't be beaten in quality and cost

Home of the F4 Fibra di carbonio
MV-Woodster is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 11:22 PM
New Member
 
calexoticmv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Loma Rica Ca.
Posts: 20
Hi,
I purchased a key guard from MDI. Not to shabby of a product, Nice thick piece of material and the finish looks nice. Only time will tell on the clear coat!
calexoticmv is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 01:22 AM
Senior Member
 
adecritten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,025
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by calexoticmv View Post
Hi,
I purchased a key guard from MDI. Not to shabby of a product, Nice thick piece of material and the finish looks nice. Only time will tell on the clear coat!
The measure of good carbon fibre is in fact how thin it is and not in fact how thick.

Ideally it should be very thin and therefore weigh very little without compromising its integral strength in any way, it will 'if its is like the excellent quality carbon fibre CAG sells' be much stronger and also quite flexible too.

Most carbon Fibre that is sold these days is sold for its aesthetic look and the majority of folk who purchase it wouldn't know the difference between a top quality product or just something that is merely pleasing to look at.

Like everything in life if you pay 'peanuts' you get 'monkeys' and sometimes the saving of just a few pennies is false economy. All I can say from my own experience is that the parts I have seen from Carl have been 100% carbon fibre (Not the usual 'cheap ass' CF/FRP mix) and are beautifully finished off.
adecritten is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Senior Member
 
theknurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Palos Verdes Est, SoCal, USA
Posts: 13,974
Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up CAG's Carbon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adecritten View Post
The measure of good carbon fibre is in fact how thin it is and not in fact how thick.

Ideally it should be very thin and therefore weigh very little without compromising its integral strength in any way, it will 'if its is like the excellent quality carbon fibre CAG sells' be much stronger and also quite flexible too.

Most carbon Fibre that is sold these days is sold for its aesthetic look and the majority of folk who purchase it wouldn't know the difference between a top quality product or just something that is merely pleasing to look at.

Like everything in life if you pay 'peanuts' you get 'monkeys' and sometimes the saving of just a few pennies is false economy. All I can say from my own experience is that the parts I have seen from Carl have been 100% carbon fibre (Not the usual 'cheap ass' CF/FRP mix) and are beautifully finished off.
Yup!

Carl's carbon is fabulous, i have a bunch of his CF parts and its heads and shoulders above the rest including the CF off Dave the_castle's CC #13......i have his lower chain guard, that Randarosa ran over as the last bike, on the last lap of the Bubbalicious track day

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
theknurl is online now  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 08:54 AM
New Member
 
calexoticmv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Loma Rica Ca.
Posts: 20
Absolutely!
I have also purchased carbon products from Carl and they are top notch!
When I sad think material I didn't mean 1/2". I made the mistake of purchasing from bestem USA recently,sure the carbon was paper thin but you couldn't install it without trashing the clear coat. Total crap!
I think we all understand the cost involved in quality carbon and yes of course all of us SHOULD go that route. But if some of us new guys can't afford a $200 key guard want to make a short term athsetics decision it's OK! Its like a pro ball player pushing a little kid out of the way to go do his job, all the kid wanted to do was play ball! We can't dicourage it these are the new MV riders! And the MV's future.MV's are a passion a dream and in so many cases an unobtainable fantasy.
After all that same passon is why we're on this site.
One day I hope we all can afford a Tambo!
MDI Carbon is a reasonably nice alternative for the po folks.
calexoticmv is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Established Member
 
toddburk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portland,Oregon
Posts: 241
Thanks all. Your insights are helpful. Ill stick to the suppliers approved here on the site for the reasons noted.
Best,
Todd

2007 F41000R
2010 Ducati SF
2008 MV Brutale 910 S
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs
2006 Triumph Speed Triple
toddburk is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome