Painting the roses red - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Painting the roses red

Got a new project, turning my black and grey F4 into a red and silver one.
Painter Dude, from Finishing Touch down in Monterey California, got me set of Catalyst bodywork, street trim, and is going to do the paint work.
John, Painter Dude, did my 1098 track bodywork for me a few years ago and it it turned out great. I guess that is why I am having him do the work on my F4. I bought a fuel tank and air box in red along with the small side panels that fit under the fuel tank on each side in silver so he will have something to match to. I got those parts from a fellow member of this site, Thanks Rob.
This project is going to take some amount of time to complete mainly because my time is limited to work on it. I don't want to have any down time with the bike so I can take any opportunity I have to ride it instead of just looking at it.
If anyone has experience with the Catalyst street trim bodywork help would be welcome.
I wish I could post the pictures of the bodywork John sent today but I am working with an IPad instead of a regular computer and don't know how to post pictures with it. Right now they are grey from the factory.
P.S. the tank and air box are from a 2007 model so if someone has the paint code for this year I am sure it would help to match everything up.
Thanks

If Adam and Eve were Chinese, we would still be in paradise
because they would have ignored the apple and eaten the snake!

Last edited by Sagerider; 04-30-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Got all the stuff together and back from the painter and started putting in on the bike today. This is Catylist bodywork and there are issues as I am sure there is with any after market bodywork. So far no show stoppers with the biggest problem being the tail light not fitting because of the attachment insert is too large. What I will have to do is to carefully cut it back so the tail light will slip into place.
I really hate having to correct things that should have been delt with before the product was sent to the customer. The light will not fit and there is no reason other than no one at Catylist bothered to put one in or the problem would not be there.
The bodywork is robust and basically of good quality. I have a race set on one of the 1098s and it is OK. I had issues with the air tubes but figured out how to get around it. I understand Catylist has since fixed the problem with a new design.
So far I have the red mirrors on the nose and mounted on the bike. The side fairings are mounted as well as the belly pan. The belly pan is solid with no opening in the bottom like the stock one which is fine. I have a little tweaking to do with the fastener holes but I want to get it all on and think about it a little, easy to take off and a little harder to put it back.
I still have the stock black tank and air box on the bike and it does not look too bad. I do have a red air box and tank but it am not looking forward to dealing with the fuel pump and vapor canister at the moment.
I will post a picture later.

Last edited by Sagerider; 07-11-2012 at 07:50 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Here are some pictures. Sorry they are so close but the shop is a little crowded.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 05:50 AM

New Site Garage
Looking good mate, those fairings will help soo much with the cooling.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Donsy,
The increase in cooling is all part of the master plan. My bike runs pretty cool with the stock fairings but as the speeds decrease the temperature goes up as we all know. The new water pump helped as did the Microtec ECU. Last week I was running at between 168F and 172F through the mountains, warm day about 89F. Of course when I had to slow down in town to refuel it would climb up in the 190s with the highest i saw at 202.
The fans come on at 185 I think with the Microtec ECU which helps a great deal.

There are two places where the fairing on the left side must be cut just a little to clear the small water hose and the sensor on the upper radiator but this is minor. On the right I just took the fan wiring out of the upper top rubber tie to give it a little slack due to the big vent lip at that location.

I epoxied the revnuts in the air box last night, the holes where the stock well nuts go above the intake trumpets so the air box goes on today.
If all goes well I should be riding it this weekend.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Gees! The air box is installed but what a pain in the ass! Of course I had to take all the bodywork off to get the old air box out and the new one in. I got the tail light mounted today as well. The tail latch works great and I did not have to make any changes to fit it thank goodness. All looks good and fit up is acceptable.
For those looking for the metal tape that seals the bottom of the air filter I found some at the local Ace Hardware store. It is called flue tape and goes to 300+ degrees F. I am thinking that is a bit of over kill but it worked out great. I kept the black fuel tank because my get up and go got up and went. I will save that change out for another day. Now I will finish getting the body work fitted and the heat shielding glued on the inside where needed then it will be time to go for a ride.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Here it is about as done as it is going to get for now. The tank will come later but I would rather be riding it than working on it. I still have take the sides and belly pan off one more timeto make a few minor releif cutsfor the plumbing and glue in some heat shielding.
I know it is red and silver just like all the other red and silver bikes but it is my bike so it is different. This is sort of a review of Catylist body work too which is not all that bad really. The fit up is not perfect but nothing is in this world but it will do. my biggest gripe is the crappy tail section attachment for the tail light. The way it came there was no way the tail light could ever fit so some careful cutting of the rear section of the glassed in bracket had to be made to make it work.
For better or worse here it is. The fit up for the head light is good as well as the tail light after the modification. All in all not bad Catylist but for crying out loud fix the crappy tail light attachment.
Attached Images

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 11:35 PM

Looks great to me. I am getting my Microtech ECU by the end of this week. I have done all mods except for the ECU. It's been a long two months wait for Chris at XBikes to receive and ship it out. I am told its well worth the wait. I currently run between 186 and 220 degrees constantly.

Ride fast and furious but live to ride another day!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Ask Chris for a plug or cap for the interface input of your Microtech. I am using a piece of tape to cover mine, cheesy.
You will like your new ECU. It is bit fussy to mount because the stock anti vibration rubber mounts need some modifications. Once you get it mounted everything plugs up and away you go.
If you want I will post a picture of mine and what I did to mount it.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 03:12 AM

New Site Garage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagerider View Post
You the stock anti vibration rubber mounts need some modifications.
What did you have to modify Rod, mine went straight on, with a fiddle but a short ratchet spanner and a Allen wrench sorted it ?

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode