750 steering tube into a 1000R - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

750 steering tube into a 1000R

Has anyone put the 750 steering tube into a 1000R or similar, if so did you have any front tyre clearance issues and how did it feel, was it worth doing?

jimboF4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 01:57 PM

Chris at X-Bikes recently put a 750 steering sleeve into my 312RR headstock, along with setting the rear ride height, 3mm+ swing arm plates etc etc.

No clearance issues and we have pushed the forks through as well !

It is a bit front endy but I am sure as I up the pace after a 6 month layoff it will be great. Initially I noticed that it certainly holds a line better than before.

A

If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends ?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 03:57 PM

Talk to Donsy...I sent him a 750 steering tube and he fitted it to his bike in Australia

joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 11:47 PM

New Site Garage
Post Not so straight forward

There is a lot of things to consider, the first being, why would you want to do it for other than racing purposes ?
I feel the 1000's handling is great and stable as can be for road use if the suspension is set-up correctly, and using decent tyres.

If you can't get a 1000 set-up right for road use using stock suspension, there is no way you will get it right with the 750 steering head.

The next thing you have to consider is how it will affect the bike, there is quite a few things to look at here.
The front wheel will hit the fairing and radiators of you do not drop the forks in the yokes, and or increase oil amount in forks to make the air-gap smaller, meaning less travel.

You will have to raise the rear ride height to compensate for this too, meaning if your a short arse, things just became harder.

There is also the matter of getting a lower profile front tyre, but I am not up for that one at all.

The front suspension will now work much harder and might be too soft, so you will have to sort that out.
And this means you now have to work on the rear suspension to match the front.

So quite a bit involved, and unless you know what your doing, or like me, is willing to fiddle endlessly, you will need a clued-up mechanic to sort it for you.
That is my experience anyway, I have the benefit of move-able radiators and fairings, and my tyre still hits my oil cooler if I'm not careful with my settings.

I liked the feeling of the bike so much that I will now get another one of these steering inserts as soon as the funds allow.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 11:49 PM

New Site Garage
Lightbulb Oi mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by proddieracer View Post
Chris at X-Bikes recently put a 750 steering sleeve into my 312RR headstock, along with setting the rear ride height, 3mm+ swing arm plates etc etc.

No clearance issues and we have pushed the forks through as well !

It is a bit front endy but I am sure as I up the pace after a 6 month layoff it will be great. Initially I noticed that it certainly holds a line better than before.

A
When are you going to put some more pictures in your photo album, so we can all have a look man

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Proddie racer and Donsy, thanks for the replies guys,

First why do I want to do it, simply because riding my 2001 750 back to back to back with the 1000R, the 750 steers so much nicer. Jeni describes riding my 750 is like the steering is almost telepathic.

I should hasten to add my 750 is very well set-up, Nitron rear shock, K Tech forks, Forged Marchesini wheels etc. All are bikes run Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa BSB tyres and get regular hard track day use.

All run the forks dropped in the yokes a bit and ride height as high as a short arse like me can get away with.

Riding the 1000R gives me the impression it could work a bit better with a 750 steering tube (which I have here sat waiting). I am not saying the 1000R steers like a chopper but I certainly can feel a difference. I am confident and capable of setting a bike up and I am prepared to fiddle to make things right.

The worry was tyre clearance, but as I now run a 120/70 section Pirelli rather that the 65 on the 750 and have no tyre rubbing issues (used to have but a front fork set-up has cured that) I began wondering how the 1000R would cope. I believe the Pirelli tyres are not as tall as some other brands like the Dunlops.

I think its worth a go, easily put back if I am unhappy, would be nice to get the 1000R a little more pointy and get the "750" feel.

Interested if any others have experience of doing this

jimboF4
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 06:53 PM

New Site Garage
Thumbs up +10

Well it sounds like your good to go mate. If I was you I'd just do it, like you said, you got the parts.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 05:51 AM
X81

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboF4 View Post
Proddie racer and Donsy, thanks for the replies guys,

First why do I want to do it, simply because riding my 2001 750 back to back to back with the 1000R, the 750 steers so much nicer. Jeni describes riding my 750 is like the steering is almost telepathic.

I should hasten to add my 750 is very well set-up, Nitron rear shock, K Tech forks, Forged Marchesini wheels etc. All are bikes run Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa BSB tyres and get regular hard track day use.

All run the forks dropped in the yokes a bit and ride height as high as a short arse like me can get away with.

Riding the 1000R gives me the impression it could work a bit better with a 750 steering tube (which I have here sat waiting). I am not saying the 1000R steers like a chopper but I certainly can feel a difference. I am confident and capable of setting a bike up and I am prepared to fiddle to make things right.

The worry was tyre clearance, but as I now run a 120/70 section Pirelli rather that the 65 on the 750 and have no tyre rubbing issues (used to have but a front fork set-up has cured that) I began wondering how the 1000R would cope. I believe the Pirelli tyres are not as tall as some other brands like the Dunlops.

I think its worth a go, easily put back if I am unhappy, would be nice to get the 1000R a little more pointy and get the "750" feel.

Interested if any others have experience of doing this

jimboF4

Yeah my 1078 is runnign a 750 headstock, has been for a few years. Give s anice feel to the bike as well as raising the rear swingarm pivot 3mm.

The bike rolls from corner to corner really nicely but i have been spoilt lately by riding some really quite light bikes and the poor old girl is feeling a bit on the chunky side

It's worth doing though mate, well worth doing.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

"It's worth doing though mate, well worth doing".

You have convinced me Chris, so I am off to the batcave

JimboF4
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
When are you going to put some more pictures in your photo album, so we can all have a look man
Donsy
I am waiting on a nice day where I can capture a few shots. I have been working on a lot of the nice days so far.

Patience as I want to do a whole positive write up on the whole modifications etc.

A

If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode