Help! Fork Springs - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Question Help! Fork Springs

Pretty simple, i need to change the springs on my forks. hard part is actually finding a set. also the springs need to be adequate for my weight. i've tried Marzocchi-USA in CA, CSR suspension in IN, local dealer and pretty much so far i've gotten no where. i have a 05 F4 1000s. im looking for a spring for rider of weight between 200 to 230lbs, or even a lil more weight , Currently Knurl, and silentservice are looking into this. but hopefully they dont have to work as hard and someone else can also help. ANYONE please help out.

PS. i will also need help with the rear spring. i believe i can use an ohlins spring but to me is not clear if i may need a spacer...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 08:01 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Talk to Chuck about which springs he used in his forks and where he got them.

I have a shock on the SPR I brought in. It has an ohlins spring on it. Here is the spring number: 01091-39/110 /203. Donsy says it's for "a fat arse", but I don't know for sure.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

ok i have some info regarding that spring. 1091 is the diameter and lengh(160mm) of spring, the -39 is the spring rate which is

N/mm---------Kg/mm----------lbs/inch

-39===110-----------11.21-----------628
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

now i dont know if that will help me, lol.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 01:23 AM
Established Member

Smile Lol

Back schock springs in n/mm and fork springs in kg/mm. So the spring Carl has is a 110nm/mm spring.If I'm wrong here it's because the man is dictating while driving in the city.

Liesl
Loving the racing life ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 12:54 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink springs?

an Ohlins series 1091 spring is 57mm ID and 160mm long

1091-39/110-xxx
the 39 is an Ohlins number for the spring rate it is NOT the rate, the rate is 110 N/mm
the xxx is a production code date

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 07:57 AM
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
an Ohlins series 1091 spring is 57mm ID and 160mm long

1091-39/110-xxx
the 39 is an Ohlins number for the spring rate it is NOT the rate, the rate is 110 N/mm
the xxx is a production code date
And how does this compare with all the stock spring dimensions I sent you? Are the stock springs the same length and id?

I still don't have any idea what the spring rate is on the stock springs.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 09:03 AM

New Site Garage
Wink Hhhmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
And how does this compare with all the stock spring dimensions I sent you? Are the stock springs the same length and id?

I still don't have any idea what the spring rate is on the stock springs.
Someone was going to send me the formula on how to work it out.

But I had 4 or 5 different springs here from F4's and Brutale's and ID was all 57 mm obviously, lengths varied give or take 5mm (155 - 165mm).
The spring thickness was where the difference was most obvious, which I am sure you noticed Carl. If only we knew what they were.

I know when I had the gentleman Dave's Ohlins last year his 100N/mm spring was too light for me, so a 110N/mm like this would be a step in the right direction. It might be a bit heavy for Carlos but I see he is trying to catch up to me in girth .

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Someone was going to send me the formula on how to work it out.

But I had 4 or 5 different springs here from F4's and Brutale's and ID was all 57 mm obviously, lengths varied give or take 5mm (155 - 165mm).
The spring thickness was where the difference was most obvious, which I am sure you noticed Carl. If only we knew what they were.

I know when I had the gentleman Dave's Ohlins last year his 100N/mm spring was too light for me, so a 110N/mm like this would be a step in the right direction. It might be a bit heavy for Carlos but I see he is trying to catch up to me in girth .
Dons i might be pass you, im currently give or take 240, ive lost 20lbs, and trying to get to low 200s, hahaha, so i guess that spring will work for me then. cool Carl if you havent gotten rid of it, put my name on that too.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 12:46 PM
CAG

YOur name is on it.

Noel as the formula, but he guards it closely. Runs some bs by me about how it was on his calculator and he needs to program it.

The formula is all over the internet, it's not hard to find. But the missing variable, which none of us know or can measure is the tensile strength or something of the steel. Noel says it doesn't matter, but he doesn't know what the number is either.

I sent him a list of spring diameter on the various shocks. Curiously, the thinnest spring was on a 1078 Brutale. Thinner by a lot, too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode