Installing Design Corse high output water pump - MVAgusta.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Installing Design Corse high output water pump

Isn't it usually the case that no sooner have you fitted the 'latest' upgrade ..someone releases something even better?. This was the case for me when some time ago I fitted MV's water pump upgrade including 'new' impeller...and then Design Corse released their 'high output water pump'. I have to say that although MV's water pump upgrade was an improvement, I wished I'd held off and got the Design Corse one. I finally got one (below my Christmas Tree) and want to share my installation of it.
Firstly The Design Corse one is a 'complete' pump and not just a replacement outer pump casing and impeller that you have to use with the rest of your OEM pump. I've shown the installation in sequence along with comparison shots of the standard OEM , MV upgrade and Design corse one. I also refilled my bike with 'Engine Ice' 'coolant' (although I realise it's not coolant.
Three little things I discovered during installation is :
(1) The 'rear' of one of the 'lugs' fouls slightly against the lower engine casing preventing the 'pump' from going fully home....easily rectified by filing a small chamfer on the rear of the offending lug (see photos)
(2) As the mounting 'lugs' are approx 4mm longer than the mounting lugs on the MV pump I fitted the pump using replacement M6 screws (see photos)
(3) As this pump has a very high circulation output you will need to replace the OEM hose clips....after installation and starting the bike a few times I noticed it had 'pushed' the hose going to the pump up considerably (see photos).
So does it work??. Well just judging from starting the bike in the garage...it gets to the fan 'kick in' a bit slower than the MV upgrade and when the fans come on just goes up another 3 degrees then comes down quite quickly (55 seconds) to fans off. Obviously I need to ride the bike to give a full assessment but that will have to wait for a while, however initial impressions are very positive. Hope the photos make sense, Cheers for now Brian.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 04:49 PM

New Site Garage
Keep us informed on how it works. I upgraded my impeller last year with the MV one. If this all works out I wish I would of waited.
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 05:50 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink hose clamps?

Brian;
the stock hose clamps will be fine.......the pressure in the system is controlled by the header tank cap 1st Gen, the radiator cap on 2nd Gen

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
Brian;
the stock hose clamps will be fine.......the pressure in the system is controlled by the header tank cap 1st Gen, the radiator cap on 2nd Gen
Cheers for that Noel...I'll leave the others stock...however I'm gonna replace the one going to the main body of the pump as I didn't like the way pipe got 'pushed' up (seen in 4th & 5th photos from the end). I had a good look while the bike was running and everything seemed fine...however when I had a look a little later (after I'd stopped the bike) I noticed the pipe had moved. Maybe the OEM clamp isn't as tight on this hose as it should be?. I didn't measure it but I now wonder if the hose mounting ' spout' diameter on this new pump is the same as the MV one?. Anyway I'll replace this clip with a stainless 'Jubilee clip' just to be sure.
Seems like a great pump though Noel, initial impressions are good...need the weather though to fully test it in 'traffic'. Cheers Brian

Last edited by BG Wells; 01-04-2012 at 03:35 AM.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 04:12 AM

New Site Garage
Thumbs up Nice post Brian

As usual you are the man in details, crikey those pumps look good don't they. I have fitted a few of these pumps for other guys over the last couple of weeks (not been brave enough to buy my own)and never noticed the problem on the casing, both guys have had the pumps for a while though. I will ring the guys to have a look for me on their bikes and bring them back if it touches, I spent more time fighting the new silicon water hoses which they wanted me to install too, what a fight that was indeed.
Thanks for that, we better let Al know, I'm sure he'd appreciate the feedback too.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 05:19 AM

Great Pics and attention to detail Brian
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 07:26 AM

I install the waterpump from the new MV Agusta F5 is bigger than the F4 and bigger than everyone.

The F5 have only one Radiator and must use a bigger waterpump

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 08:31 AM
King of Carbon

Send a message via Skype™ to DesignCorse
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG Wells View Post
Cheers for that Noel...I'll leave the others stock...however I'm gonna replace the one going to the main body of the pump as I didn't like the way pipe got 'pushed' up (seen in 4th & 5th photos from the end). I had a good look while the bike was running and everything seemed fine...however when I had a look a little later (after I'd stopped the bike) I noticed the pipe had moved. Maybe the OEM clamp isn't as tight on this hose as it should be?. I didn't measure it but I now wonder if the hose mounting ' spout' diameter on this new pump is the same as the MV one?. Anyway I'll replace this clip with a stainless 'Jubilee clip' just to be sure.
Seems like a great pump though Noel, initial impressions are good...need the weather though to fully test it in 'traffic'. Cheers Brian
Great Detail as always brian, Excellant

Thanks for bring it to my attention regarding the lug touching the casing. I have now taken care of this issue and all our Pumps will have the edge rounded off so it clears the casing perfectly.
NicholasF4 likes this.

Regards

Al

T: +44 (0) 1582 840 024

post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.flegra View Post
I install the waterpump from the new MV Agusta F5 is bigger than the F4 and bigger than everyone.

The F5 have only one Radiator and must use a bigger waterpump

Hey thanks....however my Brutale 1078rr also only has one radiator
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...ght=muzzy+fans as can clearly been seen in my photos. Cheers Brian.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
As usual you are the man in details, crikey those pumps look good don't they. I have fitted a few of these pumps for other guys over the last couple of weeks (not been brave enough to buy my own)and never noticed the problem on the casing, both guys have had the pumps for a while though. I will ring the guys to have a look for me on their bikes and bring them back if it touches, I spent more time fighting the new silicon water hoses which they wanted me to install too, what a fight that was indeed.
Thanks for that, we better let Al know, I'm sure he'd appreciate the feedback too.
Thanks for your supportive remarks as always..yeah those pumps look great and appear to do the job as well. The area where where one of the lugs touches the lower engine casing is really no big deal. I just noticed it as I was doing up the bolts to secure it in place and it was 'rocking' slightly where it was touching preventing the bolts from 'snugging' it fully home. Easily remedied as shown....and I see AL has everything sorted now regarding this so it's not now an issue. Donsy be brave..get yourself one and give it a real test....Oh and I'm with you Jen is a babe! Cheers Mate Brian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode