After market Radiator - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

After market Radiator

I posted another thread about the radiator I purchased made by H2O Performance but could not find that thread. I want to give this update and hope this will lkeep someone else from going through what I have gone through.

The radiator appears to a well built piece of equipment but I can't verify that for sure since I haven't been able to operate the bike due to a major defect in the design. The radiator was supposed to be for any year F4 but upon receipt I noticed some significant differences from the stock. It is physically larger so I mocked it up to make sure it would fit under the fairing and it does barely. The ports for the hoses are different and require some rerouting of hoses and the purchase of some hardware from the local hardware store. I found the major hose which mounts to the left side of the stock radiator must be routed to the right side of the new radiator. Be careful with any clamps that are used to extend the stock hose since they will rub against the new radiator fins if not oriented just right. The mounting points for the cooling fan are lower than the stock radiator so the bracket used to secure the fan and radiator to the engine has to be reversed. No big deal.

Now comes the real problem. The stock radiator comes with a coolant temp sensor which has 12mm 1.5 threads. For some reason the manufacturer put 14mm 1.5 threads on the radiator so the sensor will not fit and after much research could not locate a sensor that will fit. There are no reducing couplers that small so that was out. The sensor must be used since it controls the temperature reading on the dash and the turn on of the cooling fan. You cannot hook the wires to the sensor located on the engine as that will cause the fan to run all of the time. After much cursing and failed attempts to fix the problem I took the radiator to a machine shop and for a small fee they are removing the fitting which has the 14mm threads and will install a fitting with the correct 12mm threads. Hopefully I will be able to then install the radiator and take the bike for a ride.

My suggestion is to stay away from this radiator until they correct the problem with the incorrect thread size. It is very expensive and anyone buying it should not have to go through these problems at this price. They should also include the necessary hoses and clamps since it is designed differently than the stock radiator.

Otherwise I hope the radiator performs as advertised
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 08:28 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Why not just bring a piece of brass or aluminum stock to a machinist and have him make you a reducer. Anyone with a lathe should be able to do it for not much money.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 08:41 AM

New Site Garage
Post Here you go mate

Your thread
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42431

The other was on the supplier's thread and I'm not going there.

Really sorry that rad was so very wrong George, that thing was never intended to go on the old F4, I think it was for the new MY10 bike, even then it would be a bugger to fit.
I think they owe you an apology and stop selling them till they get their shit together.
I don't expect a custom rad to be a perfect fit, but hell the inlet is on the wrong side of the bike, the temp sensor hole is wrong, that's just basic things to get right.
Okay to sell it to a race team and give them a heads up, but if you sell it to the general public, with no warning, might have to simplify it a bit.
That's how I see it in any case.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Why not just bring a piece of brass or aluminum stock to a machinist and have him make you a reducer. Anyone with a lathe should be able to do it for not much money.
The shim would be too thin. They tried that and it would not hold together.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Your thread
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42431

The other was on the supplier's thread and I'm not going there.

Really sorry that rad was so very wrong George, that thing was never intended to go on the old F4, I think it was for the new MY10 bike, even then it would be a bugger to fit.
I think they owe you an apology and stop selling them till they get their shit together.
I don't expect a custom rad to be a perfect fit, but hell the inlet is on the wrong side of the bike, the temp sensor hole is wrong, that's just basic things to get right.
Okay to sell it to a race team and give them a heads up, but if you sell it to the general public, with no warning, might have to simplify it a bit.
That's how I see it in any case.
Once I get the new opening for the sensor fixed everything should be ok and hopefully the radiator will provide some added cooling. If not I've just wasted a bunch of money. Oh well you can't take it with you but it could have been used for some nice carbon fiber parts. I received an email from the manufacturer stating they would provide a fitting but not acknowledging the incorrect size for the sensor threads. I never could find out where they got the 14mm size from. Do you have a 2010 and if so maybe you could look at the temp sensor to see what the thread size is. Curious if it is a 14mm
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 11:57 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
Just a quick note on how to find your thread easily, just click on your user name above your avatar then click on "Find all posts started by number2". You'll find it there.
Sorry to hear about the trouble you're going through adapting this system to fit.

It ain't what you ride, it's the way you ride it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

I'm learning a lot
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 12:55 PM

New Site Garage
Talking +10

We all learn here George, mostly from guys like Dave and Carl, we look back and go "Wow", that was not really that hard. Make sure you show us the end results.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
We all learn here George, mostly from guys like Dave and Carl, we look back and go "Wow", that was not really that hard. Make sure you show us the end results.

do you have a 2010 model?Maybe you could check the temp sensor to see what size threads it has
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 03:19 PM

New Site Garage
Question Hhhmm

This is the funny part mate. The 2010 don't use a temp sensor on the rad at all ?

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode