a little tuning music please... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

a little tuning music please...

Bike is running like a perfect lady the past few days. No hiccups, shakes, willies, or stalls. Care for a little tuning? I'd love to...

I got over a brief fixation for a PClll, the Microtec unit is not yet available, is there no tuning method "in between" them? A method to maximize the engines abilities, smooth out the idle, and power delivery?

Where do data loggers fit into this tuning food chain? A/F ratio gauges & probes?

So Noneyet, named so because he had no MV Agusta in the garage when he joined the forum. Brutale 910 R has been sold, so now maybe he's "had one".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 04:15 AM

Cool

There's always the combination of full MV Corse sports exhaust, headers and midpipe/cat replacement + MV Corse Race ECU, which gives splendid results, but maybe you've already got that installed.

If you're not sure, check the exhaust just in front of your rear wheel. If you see an ugly box there, the cat is still there heating up your right leg and impeding performance.

Nulla tenaci invia est via
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 06:34 AM
lee

Mike- I never fiddled with my MV very much because it ran pretty well. But the Duc 1098 is a different story. Rough as hell below 4000 rpm. Tried a PCIII and that didn't get it. Got a data logger from Daytona Twin Tech. It records all the pertinent data which you can download and review. It also displays A/F ratio in real time via two probes in the pipes. Best of all it has a feature which works in conjunction with the PC and enables you to set the A/F you want and it will give you a table of corrections to make to the PC map. I even put a TPS gauge on the damned thing so I'd know where the throttle was.
That didn't work out as well as I'd like either so I sold it to Merc who apparently has had great luck with it. He's also a software wizard which I am not and he modified it. Ask him about it all.

The advantage to using dual A/F ratio gauges and probes is that you can watch them while you ride and see what it is throughout the rpm/throttle position range and based upon that you can tweak things. Very time consuming and useless at higher rpms on the street as I simply can't watch the gauges as it accelerates to higher rpm. Happens way too fast. But for steady state running they can't be beat. Ditto low rpm/throttle settings.

The biggest problem is that, save the air bleed screws, there's nothing you can tweak on EFI as a layman. The map is the map. Unless you have the old 1.6 M ecu and can fiddle with the CO screw in the ECU.

I have a dual carburetted engine in my HD Cafe bike. It has dual A/F gauges and probes. I can ride along, look at the A/F's and reach down and tweak the airscrews to acheive what I'm after. Nice! It gets involved though and there's alot of "suck it and see" and fiddling with jets and needles but I now have that thing running at the A/F's I like across the board. I think that A/F gauges are the best tuning aids one can have, and I'm going to leave them on there permanantly. Really nice when the temp/altitude/humidity changes as I can tweak for the day while riding. God I love carbs.

As for the Duc I now have a Microtech ECU and their Autotune on the bike and it is the best thing I've tried so far. Set the A/F you want where you want it, go ride for awhile, save the data and upload the map into the ECU. That bike runs better than it ever has and I'm still experimenting with different ratios. For my style of riding 13.2-13.5 seems to be the ballpark.

Based upon my experience I'd advise you to wait for the Microtech, and if you want to spend the $$$ get the autotune as well. Best setup I've tried by far, and I'm quite picky and demanding.

Hope this helps.

I got mine. Boy do I ever got mine.

Last edited by lee; 09-21-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF4Black View Post
There's always the combination of full MV Corse sports exhaust, headers and midpipe/cat replacement + MV Corse Race ECU, which gives splendid results, but maybe you've already got that installed.

If you're not sure, check the exhaust just in front of your rear wheel. If you see an ugly box there, the cat is still there heating up your right leg and impeding performance.
I've got both exhausts and chips. The race eprom and race exhaust are currently fitted, and the cat is off.

So Noneyet, named so because he had no MV Agusta in the garage when he joined the forum. Brutale 910 R has been sold, so now maybe he's "had one".
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee View Post
Mike- I never fiddled with my MV very much because it ran pretty well. But the Duc 1098 is a different story. Rough as hell below 4000 rpm. Tried a PCIII and that didn't get it. Got a data logger from Daytona Twin Tech. It records all the pertinent data which you can download and review. It also displays A/F ratio in real time via two probes in the pipes. Best of all it has a feature which works in conjunction with the PC and enables you to set the A/F you want and it will give you a table of corrections to make to the PC map. I even put a TPS gauge on the damned thing so I'd know where the throttle was.
That didn't work out as well as I'd like either so I sold it to Merc who apparently has had great luck with it. He's also a software wizard which I am not and he modified it. Ask him about it all.

The advantage to using dual A/F ratio gauges and probes is that you can watch them while you ride and see what it is throughout the rpm/throttle position range and based upon that you can tweak things. Very time consuming and useless at higher rpms on the street as I simply can't watch the gauges as it accelerates to higher rpm. Happens way too fast. But for steady state running they can't be beat. Ditto low rpm/throttle settings.

The biggest problem is that, save the air bleed screws, there's nothing you can tweak on EFI as a layman. The map is the map. Unless you have the old 1.6 M ecu and can fiddle with the CO screw in the ECU.

I have a dual carburetted engine in my HD Cafe bike. It has dual A/F gauges and probes. I can ride along, look at the A/F's and reach down and tweak the airscrews to acheive what I'm after. Nice! It gets involved though and there's alot of "suck it and see" and fiddling with jets and needles but I now have that thing running at the A/F's I like across the board. I think that A/F gauges are the best tuning aids one can have, and I'm going to leave them on there permanantly. Really nice when the temp/altitude/humidity changes as I can tweak for the day while riding. God I love carbs.

As for the Duc I now have a Microtech ECU and their Autotune on the bike and it is the best thing I've tried so far. Set the A/F you want where you want it, go ride for awhile, save the data and upload the map into the ECU. That bike runs better than it ever has and I'm still experimenting with different ratios. For my style of riding 13.2-13.5 seems to be the ballpark.

Based upon my experience I'd advise you to wait for the Microtech, and if you want to spend the $$$ get the autotune as well. Best setup I've tried by far, and I'm quite picky and demanding.

Hope this helps.
Lee, what is MERC7, Adam's chip work, and recommended use of the OBD2 409.1 and flat adapter to OBD2 a recipe for?

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 03:07 PM
lee

Merc07 is a member on here. Pretty savvy guy.

As for the other stuff I haven't a clue as to what you're tlaking about. Expalin please.

I got mine. Boy do I ever got mine.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee View Post
Merc07 is a member on here. Pretty savvy guy.

As for the other stuff I haven't a clue as to what you're tlaking about. Expalin please.
Yes Merc07. He wrote a post back in March of this year regarding using the two pieces of hardware, in tandem with O2 sensors. Then you write a chip with the info gathered.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 11:40 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by noneyet View Post
I've got both exhausts and chips. The race eprom and race exhaust are currently fitted, and the cat is off.
So why want more? Get a Brutale 1078RR with the same setup instead, that'll satisfy your performance requirements!

I know one for sale in Holland, only 1200 kms on the clock and well run-in...

Nulla tenaci invia est via
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF4Black View Post
So why want more? Get a Brutale 1078RR with the same setup instead, that'll satisfy your performance requirements!

I know one for sale in Holland, only 1200 kms on the clock and well run-in...
FWIW, I'd like to have a 1090RR, along the way. Will need to thin the herd before that has a chance to happen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode