750 suspension issues - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

750 suspension issues

Heres one for our Gurus of suspension.

I,m 5'10" approx 86kgs

I keep scalloping out the front tyre on the sides. I normally do 2 rear tyres to 1 front tyre but all this seems to have gone belly up.

I have heard it can be caused from the angle of the bike ( forward lean ) due to the set up of the suspension.

before I go throwing another tyre at it can anyone offer up suggestions or more to the point have some in depth knowledge of what I need to do so I can sort out the issue.

I run Pirelli Corsa both front and rear....matched sets

the bike tips into corners reasonably well but could always be improved as I know it should be better.

I dont commute on this bike , only use it for weekend rides but do give it a serve when I go out.

It will be going back onto the road in a few weeks as the sun is starting to shine again and I,m getting itchy for a ride.

All help appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 05:46 AM

Not a guru

All I can do is tell you how I set up my 750.
Front forks overhauled and cleaned. New fluid.
Rear shock rebuit as standard.
Setting as per standard (maybe a liitle softer) with a tweek here and there as I felt I needed it on track.
Ride height as per the manual.
Tyre pressures checked. Very important.
Now I have the bike as I want it, and it is a good point to start to refine it as time goes by, and hopefully I go faster.
Now my bike is better than me.
Attached Images

oldnfast(ish) Racing towards old age
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 06:51 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
What are you suspension measurements now? Ride height, sag, compression, and rebound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 07:26 AM
Established Member

Triple,

Thanks for alerting me to this thread! I had a friend who is experienced in suspension settings set everything up so it would be neutral. Removing the steering damper made big improvements for me, maybe give that a go? I'd be interested to see if you find yours turns in better?

I also have Pirelli Corsa's. What tyre pressures do you run? I have 36/46

Rich
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 08:29 AM

New Site Garage
Whaaat ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrox75 View Post
Triple,

Thanks for alerting me to this thread! I had a friend who is experienced in suspension settings set everything up so it would be neutral. Removing the steering damper made big improvements for me, maybe give that a go? I'd be interested to see if you find yours turns in better?

I also have Pirelli Corsa's. What tyre pressures do you run? I have 36/46

Rich
Do you know that if you turn your steering damper to the lowest setting it will not aafect your bike at all, if it still did your steering damper needed a service. Nobody in his right mind will set the pressure on a Pirelli at 46PSI.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 09:13 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
I agree with Dons, 46psi must be a typo.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 10:23 AM

Could he have read the Max psi figure off the tyre ? Is that the max psi ?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 03:33 PM

Check the things suggested above, apart from the steering damper and pressure advice.
Which Pirelli , Diablo or supercorsa?
I found my 750 would wear out the front pretty quick also, I accepted it as normal for the bike,the original Pirelli Dragon Corsas on my first bike was shot around 2500m .
It could also be tired suspension or too low tyre pressure or just the way you ride.

I remember an American article that was posted on the old F4 site concerning Diablo Corsa's and wear rates/lap times verus diff pressures and the advice was to run higher than the normally accepted drop to low 30's for track if you wanted the tyres to last the day. I dont remember the pressures exactly but think they were something like 33/35 cold .
I used them on an MVOC Cadwell day in 04 and no bad memories .

I just had to give up on a 2 to 1 attempt with a set of Metz road tecs on my Fazer as the front failed the MOT test at 6.5 K , good job too as I never realise just how bad the handling has become until first time out on new tyres .

You might just have to accept the MV wont do 2 to 1 and there isnt really a problem unless you are like me and want to see canvas before declaring a tyre dead.
Found a pic and the front looks like it was working harder than the rear
and the wear pattern might also give a clue as to the scalloping developing on a high milage tyre. I dont remember an issue with them and it may be you are talking about Supercorsa's .
Just change tyres as a set and the problem shouldnt occur .
Attached Images

Last edited by macmivvi; 08-19-2011 at 05:08 PM. Reason: add pic
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
What are you suspension measurements now? Ride height, sag, compression, and rebound?
front

preload , 4 rings
ride height , 1.5 rings
reboung at 10 clicks
compresion at 5 clicks

rear rebound at 12 clicks
compression at 20 clicks

ride height at 18mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmivvi View Post
Check the things suggested above, apart from the steering damper and pressure advice.
Which Pirelli , Diablo or supercorsa?
I found my 750 would wear out the front pretty quick also, I accepted it as normal for the bike,the original Pirelli Dragon Corsas on my first bike was shot around 2500m .
It could also be tired suspension or too low tyre pressure or just the way you ride.

I remember an American article that was posted on the old F4 site concerning Diablo Corsa's and wear rates/lap times verus diff pressures and the advice was to run higher than the normally accepted drop to low 30's for track if you wanted the tyres to last the day. I dont remember the pressures exactly but think they were something like 33/35 cold .
I used them on an MVOC Cadwell day in 04 and no bad memories .

I just had to give up on a 2 to 1 attempt with a set of Metz road tecs on my Fazer as the front failed the MOT test at 6.5 K , good job too as I never realise just how bad the handling has become until first time out on new tyres .

You might just have to accept the MV wont do 2 to 1 and there isnt really a problem unless you are like me and want to see canvas before declaring a tyre dead.
Found a pic and the front looks like it was working harder than the rear
and the wear pattern might also give a clue as to the scalloping developing on a high milage tyre. I dont remember an issue with them and it may be you are talking about Supercorsa's .
Just change tyres as a set and the problem shouldnt occur .
running matched sets of super corsa 111

front pressure at 36 psi

rear at 36 psi
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 03:43 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I agree with Dons, 46psi must be a typo.
36psi front 42 psi rear. It handles pretty well for my liking on our cold British roads. I used to run 32/36.

If I was as clever as you, I wouldn't need to be on here!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode