Creative solution needed - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Creative solution needed

The set up:

2004 Brutale 750, stock Marzocchi forks, Moto Corse radial caliper mounts, 108mm bolt spacing.

The problem: I don't have the calipers anymore that fit those caliper mounts and I don't have the fancy rotors:

The fix: I have 320mm rotors and calipers, but I don't have radial caliper mounts to fit the stock radial calipers. I have stock marzocchi forks, but no stock calipers or rotors.

As a purveyor of parts generally known for having quite a few in stock, this is an embarrassing situation.

So who has some ideas about what to do? Any body want to trade anything?

I've already rejected the suggestion "just forget about the whole thing and give the bike to me" idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 03:27 PM

Just forget about the whole thing and give the forks to me. That works? Notice, I wrote forks, not bike, so, maybe, somehow, somewhere...
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 03:40 PM

''The fix: I have 320mm rotors and calipers, but I don't have radial caliper mounts to fit the stock radial calipers. I have stock marzocchi forks, but no stock calipers or rotors.''

On a second note, can you explain this? Aren't the 320mm rotors and calipers stock radial setup?

And which stock marzocchi forks? The regular ones from Brutale with axial caliper mountings?

I thin there is no easy fix, since you can't make custom brackets to fit any other calipers on 108mm mounts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Sure. The caliper mounts on the forks now, stock Marzocchis, are for 108mm bolt spacing. The stock radial calipers are 100mm bolt spacing. So, although I have radial calipers, and the correct 320mm rotors, they won't mount on the forks I have now.

I also have a set of forks from a stock 750, but I don't have 310mm rotors or stock axial calipers.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 03:59 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
The set up:

2004 Brutale 750, stock Marzocchi forks, Moto Corse radial caliper mounts, 108mm bolt spacing.

The problem: I don't have the calipers anymore that fit those caliper mounts and I don't have the fancy rotors:

The fix: I have 320mm rotors and calipers, but I don't have radial caliper mounts to fit the stock radial calipers. I have stock marzocchi forks, but no stock calipers or rotors.

As a purveyor of parts generally known for having quite a few in stock, this is an embarrassing situation.

So who has some ideas about what to do? Any body want to trade anything?

I've already rejected the suggestion "just forget about the whole thing and give the bike to me" idea.
Wel Carl, I'm glad to help you with a quote here, from the late (and great) Dennis Hopper.

I saw him opening the Rotterdam Film Festival almost 20 years ago, I brushed elbows with him later, but in his speech he recounted the following telephone conversation with his ex-wife Michele Phillips (she was in Mexico, he was in Taos):

She: "I'm leaving you!"

He: "What am I gonna do, what am I gonna do?"

She: "Have you thought about killing yourself?"

So I'm offering you this quote (noting that Dennis didn't actually follow up on this well meant piece of advice), and now expect something in return....

Nulla tenaci invia est via
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Sure. The caliper mounts on the forks now, stock Marzocchis, are for 108mm bolt spacing. The stock radial calipers are 100mm bolt spacing. So, although I have radial calipers, and the correct 320mm rotors, they won't mount on the forks I have now.

I also have a set of forks from a stock 750, but I don't have 310mm rotors or stock axial calipers.
That clears things up.

With the statement that you cannot make custom brackets I meant that there is no physical room to do it (and not you being incapable of doing that), since 108mm and 100mm is so little difference. You could if the mountings would be let's say 150, than you would have enough room to make new bracket and bolt on the 100mm calipers.

When I was still riding mountain bikes few years ago, I went from 160 to 205 mm rotor on the front wheel. I simply made a new bracket from stainless steel and off we went. But then again, the caliper was axial mount. Oh, and the forks leaked oil twice on the sealing, since they were bending so much under hard braking.

Looks like you need a new set of calipers or mounts. Or both.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 05:03 PM

The cheapest route would be to buy some 1000rr or 600rr calipers. (just about any modern jap. sportbike caliper will do....not withstanding the modern R1) Or you could buy some Brembo GP4-RX calipers i have.

On the other hand if the 100mm brembo calipers you have are the squared off gold kind, then i have a nice practically new set of 1000rr calipers i'd trade.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 05:08 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up 310/320 wtf?

Carl;
i have;
an extra set of MotoWheels radial bottoms, 100mm spacing for 310 discs currently on the F4 (Josh sold me his German ones)

a extra set of BrakeTech iron discs, 310mm they are the early un drilled ones

if these will help, we'll talk

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 06:16 PM
lee

Assuming the C/L of the rotor opening of the 108 vs 100 calipers are the same when mounted (ie; no big time shiming required to center the cals on the rotors) you're off by roughly .320". The only solution I see, at the moment, would be to TIG some aluminum (not mag I hope) on the caliper mount ears and holes and drill and retap the holes at the proper spacing. Lota' work and half assed but it's an option I'd consider were I on a desert iland wi' no other choice. Desperate move though.

I got mine. Boy do I ever got mine.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Al-

you could just buy a pair of R6/R1 108mm calipers for cheap. They are a totally decent monoblock calipers and pretty cheap. A lot of track guys have "upgraded" to them on suzukis

2004 F4 SPR F4RR Corsacorta Powered
2006 Brutale 910S
2012 F4 RR
2012 F4 RR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode