Changing cams - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Changing cams

I've been thinking about this for a while and thought I'd see what the community thinks.

I have a Brutale 910R that I am more than happy with it but do enjoy playing with it.

The cams in the F4 range of bikes; F4S, F4R, 312 etc., each seem to have a more and more top end grind of cam grind profile.

What would it be like to put the cams out of say an F4R into a Brutale.

I'm currently running just under 130hp, would the F4R cam increase this to something closer to what a F4R makes (minus the 90cc's of capacity drop).

What do you think.

Dave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 12:59 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Unless you have a set of spare cams, I would imagine you could buy an entire F4 engine for less that what it is going to cost you to change cams. I could be wrong, but I think you are going to need valves as well as the lengths are different.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 05:03 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs down cams?

i'm with Carl, but for a different reason;

buy an F4 motor AND ECU...sell the Brutale motor and ECU

no fueling issues (except for the stock ones).....kind of plug and play

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 07:24 PM

I'm not an agusta guru but have swapped out cams on numerous bikes, and know plenty others who have done countless swaps with no issues such as changing out valve trains and the like. Can't see why you couldn't do this on your bike if the cams fit and all you are doing is swapping them for different oem sticks.
If you are proficient in doing motor work and have the tools to figure out cam profiles and set em up properly then it should be a doable project. If you are going into this blind so to speak then the others are right it would probably be easier to just swap the motor itself. There seems to be very little actual technical assistance to be offered here....although searches may pull up stuff offered by members from days of old.

And no, swapping cams is not going to get you the power of the 1000cc motor. It all depends on the lift and duration of your cam set up, but i'd be shocked to see more than 5-10whp from just the cams. Its going to take a really aggressive lift profile and a properly worked head to get bigger numbers. But by the time you start messing with gasket thicknesses, decking, porting, etc. you'll have way more in man hours into the tinkering than you'd have with swapping the whole motor. If you want to tinker fine but you'll probably want to find a spare motor to play with.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 08:00 PM

If you were going to just swap the camshafts, you would need to check cam profile and compare valve stem lengths etc etc with the F4 motor that the new cam was originally intended for in order to save a disaster or a procedure that may be just a waste of time in the long run!

One doesn't know what or how the engineers made changes from one set of cam profiles to another along with each engine modification or variety!!

eg... when the valve is fully seated or in it's rest position cam profile and valve length are very important to make sure the valve is seating properly, also depending on the capacity of the engine and how long the valve needs to stay open for correct amount of fuel air mixture to enter the combustion chamber- all are very important issues!!

my 2cents worth!!!!

MV Agusta 1000S 1+1 (2004); Suzuki GSXR 600 (2005); Honda CB750; Honda CB175; BSA 350 (1939) ;
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 08:08 PM
lee

Psssst- Leave it alone.

I got mine. Boy do I ever got mine.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee View Post
Psssst- Leave it alone.
+10

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advise. I was just wondering, that's all.

Dave.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 10:53 PM

Thumbs down cam changing?

varium;
the 910 uses smaller injectors than the F4s.....just switching cams may get him into mapping purgatory......

that aside, as long as the cam base circles are the same, and MV couldn't be stupid enough to change them....well maybe
the cams should just drop in with a shim check/change......BUT mapping and maybe ignition too, will be completely wrong......

a can of worms i wouldn't want to open

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 11:45 PM

I know on my FZ1 the engine times itself some kind of way off of the cams or cam, and swapping R1 cams it wont start. Only one cam will swap and start the bike. Cant remember if it was intake or exhaust. I say this without knowing if MV's are like that, but something to think about.

07 Brutale' 910R Arrow Thunder, PCIII,Ferracci chip, CRG mirrors,levers. Scotts, Motovation sliders.
O6 Yamaha FZ1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode