Modified moto-corse bar ends - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Modified moto-corse bar ends

I really like the moto corse range of goodies including their handle bar ends however the main drawback with them in aluminium is that they are far too light...they're also available in titanium which although a bit heavier is not heavy enough to prevent the 'vibe' effect coming through the handlebars. I've been giving this a bit of thought and read a number of posts regarding a solution including merc07's recent http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40765 My own take on it is to hollow out the moto corse bar end and add a custom made brass 'core' to give as much weight as possible. I choose brass as it's heavier than aluminium, titanium, steel, stainless steel, et all and is probably my favourite metal to work with. I'm pleased with the end result and couldn't go much heavier as I didn't want the outer part bigger (I wanted the moto corse look) and the 'stem' of the bar end at the correct diameter of 16.5mm can go no further into the brutale handlebars than 75mm (F4's may be different?) because at that point they start to narrow eventually to 10mm on the inside. Anyway here are some photos in sequence which I hope explains the procedure more fully. Cheers for now Brian (BG) Wells
Attached Images

Last edited by BG Wells; 07-17-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 09:05 PM

Very nice!!!!!

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 07:36 AM

no kidding, i'll take a set too. pm me how much if you're willing.
nice work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 01:24 PM

And meeeeeeeee !!!!!!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperF4 View Post
no kidding, i'll take a set too. pm me how much if you're willing.
nice work
Good thinking, I guess you already had the motocorse ends ?

I rekon the difference in a stainless head against the aluminium would offset the slight extra weight of the brass stem.

Mine are only 50mm in length and weigh 125g, I took the measurements from a copy of the motocorse ends. The stems were 16.8mm but with no o ring on them does that make much difference ?.

I guess if I made them 75mm they would weigh in at 150g +

Cheers
Adam
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc07 View Post
Good thinking, I guess you already had the motocorse ends ?

I rekon the difference in a stainless head against the aluminium would offset the slight extra weight of the brass stem.

Mine are only 50mm in length and weigh 125g, I took the measurements from a copy of the motocorse ends. The stems were 16.8mm but with no o ring on them does that make much difference ?.

I guess if I made them 75mm they would weigh in at 150g +

Cheers
Adam
Trouble is though you can't make the stems 75mm long as that measurement 'includes' the rubber well nut fastener to retain them. You could though have the 'end' of the stem tapering and use a smaller diameter rubber well nut fastener in order to gain a little more weight. I'd considered this however with the rubber 'retainer' gripping on the taper deep inside the bar it 'may' want to work its way loose?. The main reason the other aftermarket bar ends are heavy is due to the outside 'visible' part being so big...if this isn't an issue you could make them as heavy as you like. Yes I went for 16.5mm diameter stems and machined for a rubber 'O' ring to help absorb the 'buzz'. The moto corse aluminium ends are really only caps or covers as I machined out as much as I could without going through the retaining bolt hole 'seat' or 9 decorative 3mm drilled holes on their face. It 'is' possible to gain a little more weight if the 'moto corse' end was made a little bigger or the end of the stem tapered as described (for the Brutale anyway...dunno for the F4). Alternatively the whole thing could be made in brass...if that's your bag?..or like 'green hands'. Cheers Brian
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 02:14 PM

so will you be selling these as a complete kit? that way we can just pay you and have you get the ends and everything.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG Wells View Post
Trouble is though you can't make the stems 75mm long as that measurement 'includes' the rubber well nut fastener to retain them.
The originals on the F4 are 46mm from the edge of the head.
Mine are just 35mm and I made the head 15mm x 28.5mm - what is the Corse head measurements ?

Not so sure on green hands though !

Have you thought about the frame plugs

Cheers
Adam
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc07 View Post
The originals on the F4 are 46mm from the edge of the head.
Mine are just 35mm and I made the head 15mm x 28.5mm - what is the Corse head measurements ?

Not so sure on green hands though !

Have you thought about the frame plugs

Cheers
Adam
Yeah I made these brass ones the same (46mm from the back of the 'head') and with the rubber retaining nut a total length from the back of the head attached it measures 64mm. I could make it about 8-9mm longer before the taper starts but that would require getting longer stainless steel bolts and the weight advantage would be???.. minimal.. and would be deeper in the bar...is it worth it? who knows. The moto corse head measures 28.3mm diameter x 15.9mm. Yeah I have made many other 'bits' and other frame plugs that moto corse don't do http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34451
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34819
http://s1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc412/bgwellsuk/
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37009
I've also made other frame plugs and 'bits' that I'll post in due course. So I've been busy! The commercially available frame plugs that moto corse do I bought as I wanted to make other 'parts' that no one else does. Hope this helps...cheers for now Brian
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 06:07 PM

Brian, impressed as always.

You are a true master of the lathe. Quality work yet again.

All the best

Dave

Stuck on a rock off the coast of France

Last edited by JerseyBrut; 07-19-2011 at 02:50 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode