Brutale Airbox mod...HOLY CRAP!!!! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to oicdn Send a message via Yahoo to oicdn
Brutale Airbox mod...HOLY CRAP!!!!

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2963

^Original thread...

I decided to do it today, removing the snorkels. HOLY CRAP! What a difference in both sound and throttle response. I decided to make a new thread, as it might not get much exposure on that other thread. Would be a shame, cause it's an awesome free mod!!!

The noise level idling is the same (obviously) but you can immediatly tell the difference when you just rev her...it's throatier and louder.

When you goto get on it, you can tell she pulls a little better in the higher RPMS, as it opens a TON of air. You can hear her swallowing the air, and if you thought the growl was loud before....HOLY CRAP is it loud now. It sounds so damn mean, even just cruising, but the reward is when you give her gas.

As far as performance goes, you can tell the aready sweet throttle response above 3K is improved. As far as butt dyno goes, you can notice she runs a LITTLE stronger (and smoother!), but nothing to jump up and down over. Also, upon acceleration, it smooths the note out. My Brutale runs fine stoichly, and doesn't pop or anything on decel, but you can notice it does infact smoothen it out a little. Not a ton, but a noticeable amount.

I know I said I would take pics, but seriously, there isn't a reason to. That adn I didn't have a spare hand available. Johns original thread is really all there is to it. You don't even need to take off the tank completely. There's enough rooms to where all you have to do is lift it upa little, tug on them a little and out they come! They're not made of plastic, as the pics percieve them to be, but rubber. They're stuck in there like a rubber grommet, not just placed there, but nothing troublesome as you can do it with one hand while the other holds the tank up a little.

Literally, it's as easy as reading this:
  • Remove both seats
  • Remove tank side plates.(the plate that covers the fuses)
  • Remove keygaurd
  • Remove the brackets that keep the tank in place. You'll know it's it because one of the "bolts" is also what the side plates slides onto to keep it in place.
  • Remove the bolt that's at the back of the tank, where your crotch is.
  • Lift up the tank by the keygaurd area just enough to get to the snorkels. you don't to need to lift it too high, as the snorkels are rubber and you can wiggle them out.
  • Put everything back together.

It's seriously, as easy as that.

Put it this way, if somebody did this to your bike without you knowing, you'de be like "god damn is she peppy and loud today." Definitly a worthwhile mod. SUPER simple to do too! Even if you're afraid of taking apart your bike, there's absolutely nothing you can do to mess anything up unless you rip the tank off instead of just lifting it.

Have fun!

Nate
Brutale S
Previously CLE #333 (hee hee, it rhymes!)
Buy some clothes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 02:54 PM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
Nate...
that sounds fantastic
do you suppose that it will affect the fuel mileage?

hey.....
maybe we can QUICKLY do mine... during our meeting next saturday

nah...
i'll get it done at home

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

I'm currently on my reserve right now (which is why I did it...), we'll see how it affects mileage as I have to fill up for the week tonight. It sure is loud though....

Nate
Brutale S
Buy some clothes:

Quote:
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Update....

I just went on a nice little ride with a buddy and he instantly noticed it was alittle louder. After the little jaunt he said "dude, your bike SCREAMS now...what'd you change up?"

I thought it was more mental right afterwards, but it really is ALOT louder...ALOT. Didn't wanna make a false report thinkin it was just my imagination, but it really is LOUD. It really growls at any throttle and is throatier. The throttle response definity improved on the more aggressive driving...I would definitly recommend doin this.

Nate
Brutale S
Buy some clothes:

Quote:
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 06:29 PM
im not very mechanically inclined..... creative development in the digital realm is my thing, so I ask..... is this intake for the engine this air flow? if so, does this not change the amount of airflow into the engine?
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 06:35 PM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
is there any potential DOWNSIDE to this modification?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spalding12
is there any potential DOWNSIDE to this modification?
Possibly, but correctable.

It may lean the bike out some causing some driveability problems. Intake noise increase may bother some, but I plan to re-map the shit out of my bike to take care of all the extra air coming in and out!

Probably Tuesday, so I'll report back then.

John T
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 08:21 PM
Pimp of posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfuel
Possibly, but correctable.

It may lean the bike out some causing some driveability problems. Intake noise increase may bother some, but I plan to re-map the shit out of my bike to take care of all the extra air coming in and out!

Probably Tuesday, so I'll report back then.

John T
how much more peak horsepower do you hope to gain by re-mapping the "shit" out of this DEsnorkled beast?

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spalding12
how much more peak horsepower do you hope to gain by re-mapping the "shit" out of this DEsnorkled beast?
Depends on how "shitty" the air/fuel ratio is. I have no idea what the chip, airbox mod, and full exhaust sytem will do until it's on the dyno. Can't wait!!

John T
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Seven
im not very mechanically inclined..... creative development in the digital realm is my thing, so I ask..... is this intake for the engine this air flow? if so, does this not change the amount of airflow into the engine?
When you remove the snorkels, you'll see it doesn't really allow more airflow, it just doesn't make the air bend after the intake screens. The snorkel makes the air travel an 'S' path before it gets to the filter. With them out, you'll see that the air has a direct path rather than having to S around. I doubt it really does much more of a difference leaning out the bike...MAYBE .25 of a point if that. The Brutale runs slightly rich anyhow...

Also, I'm 99% it makes the growl louder because the sound can resonate right back out. It doesn't have pieces of rubber blocking all the intake noise.

It's kinda like removing the 'S box'/intake on your car and replacing it with a tube and filter. The air doesn't take a bunch of bends before it reaches the TB. It also doesn't really lean out if at all. And as a side effect, you also get a slightly louder intake roar. Considering the engine is between our legs, and rubber is rather sound absorbing, that's probably the reason it's so much more dramatic on the Brutale.

I'll report tomorrow on gas mileage (doubt it'll do anything, but you never know...1-2 miles is better than nothing!)....I'm expecting to run an entire tank of gas tomorrow...

Nate
Brutale S
Buy some clothes:

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode