Removing rear tips on exhaust? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Removing rear tips on exhaust?

Has anyone removed the exhaust tips and taken out the baffles that you can see inside or heard the sound without the tips on the pipes?

Also

What size pop rivets are used to hold them on and I assume they are stainless steel ones?

I just don't want to pay a fortune for getting more sound out of the exhausts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 07:27 PM
I had the same thought so I will bump you. Anyone?
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

I like fiddling with things and get much enjoyment out of experimenting!

HAS ANYONE DONE IT TO THEIR EXHAUSTS AS YET OR DO YOU ALL JUST GO AND SPEND BIG BUCKS TO GET THE BIG NOISE???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 04:07 AM

I've just done the Casoli mod last week. Its easy to do and it takes about 3hours to complete. IMHO the bike sounds better than the RG3 pipe that is now collecting dust in the garage. Removing the flute insert without doing the Casoli mod will be a real waste of time. If you are going to do the mod, do the whole hog.

With the RG3 chip and pipe, the bike had a strong smell of unburnt fuel even at high revs and I use to get the odd backfire pop from the intake and once or twice the stalling commng to a stop.

Using the RG3 chip and the Casoli mod and doing 500km of riding the twisties, there is no unbrunt exhaust smell, no backfire from the intake and no engine stalling coming to a stop. Oh the dead flat spot at very low revs are gone!!!Woohooo.

Oh less heat is trap at the exhaust and the mufflers and tips are cool to touch with the Casoli mod.

The MV has a unique sound, not like a Duke or a buzzy Japanese motor. With the Casoli mod, there is a raw edge and burble at crusing revs and formula 1 scream at high revs.

I went up and down the M5 east tunnel, airport tunnel, Eastern Distributor tunnel and the Harbour tunnel and the sound is farking awesome. All up about 6-7km of tunnels - insane!!!

The walls of the pipes are paper thin, so be extra careful.

I use 6.4mm stainless steel rivets.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!!
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 08:10 AM

minime if you don't mind telling me how you did the casoli mod? I've got the tips off and cut one of the flat dougnut ends off one of my cans but then i see another section of moulded muffler down where the black tips touch the can. how do i get those suckers out?

The tips are very easy to get off. The stainless rivets drill out, then you must punch the little reminant lugs into the pipe so the tips can wriggle past them. I use a rubber mallet and tap around the circumfrence of the tip about half way up the black bit and tap and tap and tap and tap, finally they come off. Some WD40 / CRC helps alot.

Taking the little baffles out of there doesn't change the sound much. It's actually a bit disapointing after you spentd that long tapping. The casoli mod really guts the muffler, I've tried a couple of times to do it but cant see how to get down the pipe (after you pull the tip off) I thought a plasma cutter may be an option, but alas i don't have one.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 07:10 PM

The plasma cutter will make the job much easier. Once the slip on tips are remove,
you need to buy about 0.5m of 2.25" exhaust tubing (stainless steel or mild steel). Cut out the orginal pipe at the 3 point welds. Cut out the new exhaust tube to the same size as the orginal.

Once the orginal 2.25" tubes are remove, you need to enlarge the hole to as big as the 2.25" tube. I also remove about 2inches of the little straw exhaust pipe that is in there.

Weld the new exhaust tube that you have just cut and use some high temp sealant from the inside. Put the exhaust tip back on and enjoy.

Basically you are modifiying the exhaust to become a straight thru system.

The proper Casoli mod I think completely guts out the muffler but I don't think that this is really required. If you leave the internal baffle walls, it will add abit of strength and structure to the muffler.

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minime
The plasma cutter will make the job much easier. Once the slip on tips are remove,
you need to buy about 0.5m of 2.25" exhaust tubing (stainless steel or mild steel). Cut out the orginal pipe at the 3 point welds. Cut out the new exhaust tube to the same size as the orginal.

Once the orginal 2.25" tubes are remove, you need to enlarge the hole to as big as the 2.25" tube. I also remove about 2inches of the little straw exhaust pipe that is in there.

Weld the new exhaust tube that you have just cut and use some high temp sealant from the inside. Put the exhaust tip back on and enjoy.

Basically you are modifiying the exhaust to become a straight thru system.

The proper Casoli mod I think completely guts out the muffler but I don't think that this is really required. If you leave the internal baffle walls, it will add abit of strength and structure to the muffler.
You are actually taking two of the three "silencers" out of gas flow, heres a pic of my old 1000 exhaust that was damaged when I was hit from behind, you will be able to see how bu removing the tips then either drilling the end palte around the original exit or removing it all together you get more flow and noise, be carefull with the tips though, you need larger perf tube and they WILL get hotter, some have lost the anodising colour......
Attached Images

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 02:03 AM

I didn't reuse the flute inserts. I didn't notice any colour change on the tips, but mine is the old black / dark brown anodising colour.

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 02:59 PM

Thats exactly how i'd thought to do it. But I was going to put the original 2.25 inch tube back on and run some perferated tube down the centre. I've got some 1 1/2 inch perf that will fit but i thought i'd just press it between the black tips and screw some lugs into it so it cant fall into the muffler, that way i can put some wadding around it to cut any high pitched noise down.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 02:37 AM
Established Member

Hi guys,

Ive just joined....Got a 2000 MV F4 SPR...and i need help....

Im looking at doing the casoli mod, but the guys at Ball's Performance tell me it'll sound really 'tinny' and not the throaty deep howling noise im hoping to achieve. I dont know if theyre just trying to get me to buy an RG3 exhuast for big bucks or theyre being honest. Was going to go to Megacycle but wanted to know, if i completely gut the exhuast i have on now (standard), will i get the sound i want.

Does anyone have a 2nd hand set of exhuasts they want to sell ?

Mikef4uk..any more pics mate of what you did ?

thanks

Rob

Loony by name Loony by nature
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode