New rear shock for my B4 750!! - MVAgusta.net
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By brutant
  • 2 Post By brutant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

New rear shock for my B4 750!!

Had enough of the utterly chronic Sachs rear unit, so after ALOT of research I have bought a Maxton RT10. Not fitted yet, hopefully that will be done tomorrow. It looks superb though, extremely well made. In the end there wasn't much choice, apart from Maxton, there was Nitron, Bitubo or Ohlins, that I could find. Nitron were a bit vague on whether they had the correct info for my bike, I couldn't get a quote out of Bitubo and Ohlins is just silly money. Maxton have a top rep in the UK for race success and really know what they are talking about. I'll be getting the cartridge fork conversion from them next year too.

INTERNAL COMBUSTION RECREATION FOREVER
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 12:04 AM

This one?
https://www.maxtonsuspension.co.uk/files/rt10.htm

Please post some pics after its installed.

E d w a r d B4910s08

Public Service Announcement
.................................................. .....................

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Forum Introduction Thread)

Location: Tools > User CP > Your Profile > Edit Your details > Additional Information > Location
Bike Model/s: Tools > User CP > Settings & Options > Edit Signature
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thats the one, although that is a sample pic, each shock is custom made to order and to suit the riders weight, type of riding etc. They were bang on with delivery, gave really good advice and went into great detail. They knew the bike and told me the problems with the OEM suspension before I even described my experience! Not cheap though, but good stuff never is! Over 700.00!!! Can't wait to feel the transformation!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Well, the new shock is in, I'll post pix later.
It was quite a niggly job!! I had to get creative with supporting the bike, as I don't yet have a centre frame stand and my bike lift is elsewhere. The OE shock came out relatively easy but the Maxton wouldn't go in without further dismantling! As in, partially unbolting the rear subframe and hinging it upwards to allow full access to the required area. This is because the reservoir on the Maxton is slightly larger and extends further back towards the rear wheel than the OE unit. Ran out of time today before I could complete, I still have the tank and bits and pieces to refit.
The job gave me the chance to have a good look at all the hidden details of MV engineering, I'm suitably impressed. It also confirmed the immaculate condition of this example, even in the hidden areas.
esq'z me, Armando1969 and GDS968 like this.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

So, have done some miles with the new shock and it's a revelation! Initially the ride was still too hard but I backed off the high speed compression damping and it's now just right. The difference in damping quality has to be felt to be believed after the horrors of the OE unit! Having a damping adjustment that actually works is a real treat! I have mentioned previously that on a road I have to use regularly, there are transverse ridges which would throw me out of the seat with the OE unit, now, with the Maxton, I can ride over them without fear! They are still vicious, but the Maxton shock handles them without me resorting to prayer! On other, normal surfaces, the bike feels very composed, planted and neutral, without the understeer under power I was getting before, also very stable at high speed on motorways (highways), doesn't fidget as it did with the OE unit.
So a complete success and I can highly recommend the Maxton to anyone thinking of a suspension upgrade.
So next are the forks, which are now shown up to have poor damping. So when the bike is off the road for winter, probably next month, I'll pull them out and send them to Maxton for their cartridge upgrade and new springs. Can't wait until next year to feel the full transformation. Pix will have to come later, my IT arrangements are less than ideal!
Edward and NotThatFast like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode