MV Agusta Forum banner

Opinions please

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  fingertight 
#1 ·
I know, a loaded question right?

As many of you know, Emma is still at the surgeon but is about to come home. The last thing is the wheels. I was told when I bought her they were gold anodized but apparently that's nearly impossible to have done these days. Two attempts at powder coating from two different vendors have given less than desirable results. Not sure why it's so difficult, maybe the type of metal but the result is not very good. I don't know anything but what I've read about powder coating so I am clueless as to why.

So here's the opinion part. Carbon fiber wheels...maybe?

Recommendations? Experience with them. Should I get the gold ones from BST? An other suggestions/comments?

Also, does anyone know of a place that does high quality powder coating and has had their MV forged aluminum alloy wheels done.

Thanks

#2 ·
#4 ·
Have had multiple wheels done, cast aluminum, forged aluminum, and magnesium. The biggest thing to get that "right" color is finding that color on something with a like metal and seeing it in the flesh IMO, or have some flexibility to your expectations.

Have done gold on 4 different wheels and even though using the same product, same powdercoater there was very slight differences in the end color, but nothing to bitch about.

but onto the wheel choice, If this bike is a just rider bike hands down i would go with some BST and those colored wheels they do are pretty damn sweet!
I use BST on my 675R Triumph and my F3 800 and they make such a noticable difference in handling! Not sure i can tell about anything related to the acceleration or braking, but they make the handling improved, be sure to adjust the suspension for the lighter wheel. Only downside i have ever had with them, is the bike can have a tendency to track cracks/ grooves in the road or track

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone. I appreciate hearing your opinions. I’ve looked at the OZ anodized but the gold isn’t shiny enough for me. @MV Arthur the rear wheel got scratched last year at Gapalicious. The problem is the powder coaters, two different ones, just can’t get it right. The color is inconsistent, there are fine scratches under the powder coat that are glaringly obvious. Just a mess. Not happy at all with that process so I’m exploring options. I really like the factory wheels and it’s my preference to have them like they were but apparently that’s a challenge. At least for the powder coaters in Charlotte. If I do anything different I am likely to do the BST Rapid Tec wheels. I just don’t know if I want them in gold or not. I really have to see them first so I’d need to order a set and as long a I can return them and get black I’m probably going to do that. I’ll keep the originals so if I can find a way to get them back to they way they were I would do that as well even if I don’t put them back in the bike.

#6 ·
I think for what you're looking for, you should have them mirror polished and then Ti nitrided. Maybe talk to the guys at Superbikes Unlimited, they are near Asheville and have a nitride service for forks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.