I'm looking to upgrade my charging system - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

I'm looking to upgrade my charging system

Hello everybody thank you for having me in the mv world. I've been lurking here for about two years and I'm breaking my silence now looking for helpfrom some experts. i have a 2017 dragster rr euro 3 with some additional farkles on it. I have a jw speaker headlight 4 Denali led spots, USB charger, and oxford heated hand grips when everything is on it's just too much for the current system. I noticed on the turismo veloce 800 it came with a larger 450 w generator. I wanted to know is it possible to switch that one out with the one from the dragster. Will it fit mechanically and will I have to change anything else electronically( rectifier,wiring,fuses) to make it work. The obvious other idea is to remove some of the load but I'm already this deep in. I dont wanna just buy one plop it in and make and expensive mistake frying things. Any help would be appreciated and thanks for having me. Here is babuska rr
Attached Images

2017 dragster rr euro 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 06:26 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Welcome to the family !!... You should add your location to your profile.

I suspect the primary difference in the charging systems is the stator. I suggest you look at the part manuals for your bike and the TV.
Key items to compare would be the rotor, the crankcase cover, the regulator/rectifier.

If those items have the same part numbers then the stator would be a bolt in upgrade. More windings on the stator would be the method to increase output.
It is possible the regulator/rectifier is different for the higher output stator (basically greater voltage), and if so you would need that part. The rest of the electrical system will be fine.

Let us know what you learn.....

And add your location to your profile.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

The generator and the rectifier are different part numbers. The generator looks like it will bolt right in but I'm having trouble researching the rectifier

2017 dragster rr euro 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 02:07 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
That's because you should be looking for the Voltage Regulator.

Please put the year and model of your bike in your signature line through USER CP.

Also please put a location in your profile.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Updated my profile to include my location and bike, i didn't see it in the mobile view. Back to it though. Digging through the parts catalog and Google, the generators look the same, and a quick call to my not so local dealership showed the same, they said best they can tell they are identical from the films they were looking at. Obviously the regulator of the turismo veloce 800 can handle the power I'm just not sure how to wire it to the dragster, or if there is an equivalent I can use any one have some knowledge about it they can share.

2017 dragster rr euro 3
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 06:15 PM
Established Member

Bzzzzzt... Greater _current_. Voltage will remain the same.

2017 Dragster

2014 BMW R1200GS
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

So will the dragster regulator be able to handle the TV's additional current?

2017 dragster rr euro 3
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 11:19 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
The stator and rotor of the "generator" are 2 separate parts. This is where the increase in wattage comes from.....NOT the regulator/rectifier. The stator is most likely the only part that is different (more windings).

I will just about guarantee the different Regulator/Rectifier (it is single component) look, mounts and is nearly identical in construction (higher power internal transistors/FETs/SCRs).

So if it is a different part number it will still bolt right up with the same wire harness connection.

Why don't you go on the StarTwin Trading web site and do a part number comparison your self? Or the parts catalogs on Donsy's web site (if he has them both posted).

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:08 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
P=(I)(E)
P=(I)(I)(R)

P=Power=Watts I=Current E= Voltage R=Resistance

If Power goes up and Voltage is held constant, then current must go up.

Since resistance in the circuit has not changed, but power has gone up; then current must go up.

Current going up creates more heat (I squared R is heat)

EVERYTHING supplied by the new higher power source will experience greater heat.

If the wire gauge can handle the increased current and heat, then you should be fine.

Word of warning: MV wring has always has some heat degradation issues. Think starter solenoid wiring and connections.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

When comparing the parts in the parts catalog they are different part numbers. The generator specifically states a higher wattage output 450 vs 350, and the regulators are also different part numbers. The TV has a different regulator/rectifier with an additional plug and I was unable to see what it was for or understand it in the wire diagram off of donseys site, that's about when I started asking for help.

2017 dragster rr euro 3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode