Coloring of motorcycle parts - MVAgusta.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Coloring of motorcycle parts

Hi, I am still pretty new to motorcycles, and I would like to know what the best (cleanest) and easiest way is to change the color of my motorcycle parts. To be specific, the cover for my display, and parts like my frame sliders.

My goal is to try and matte black, or at least make these parts black.

Here is an image of the parts I want to change.
Attachment 460657

Any tips of how I could do this?
Once again, id like to know the simplest and cleanest ways possible.
Attached Images

LIVE TO RIDE,RIDE TO LIVE LIVE TO RIDE,RIDE TO LIVE LIVE TO RIDE,RIDE TO LIVE LIVE TO RIDE,RIDE TO LIVE

YAMAHA★【MT-07 2017 Matte Black
MV AGUSTA★【Brutale Dragster 800 RR MY2018 Nardo Grey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:39 AM

powder coating is fantastic, or of course having them painted by a spray painter. Either or offer fanatic results just depends on your budget. Cant go wrong with either or, and both options can do matt black

Sanity is the playground for the un-imaginative
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 MV F4 1000S / 2006 Yamaha 50th anniversary R1 / 1998 Aprilia RS 125
1995 Suzuki RGV 250 / 2004 Cagiva Mito EVO2 / 2000 Cagiva mito
1992 Yamaha YZ250 / 1991 Kawasaki kr1s / 2010 Vespa GTS 300
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:49 AM
Established Member

While powdercoat is great for metal parts, it requires a bake at 450F/230C so not for most plastic parts.

Modern rattle-can pain is pretty good, and is easy to get good results with. Practice and the right conditions (temp/dust free area) are important.

Cerakote is another alternative for metal parts, and is something that can be done by an armature. Youtube videos for more info on the process.

Anodizing for aluminum is also possible at home. Nasty chemicals involved though.

2017 Dragster

2014 BMW R1200GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Agree with above. I would trust parts of a 'good bike' to a professional. For minor, or out of view parts, I'd do myself.

If you choose to do it yourself, remember that preparation is the key. Fine wet and dry prep and good even undercoats are essential. Don't be fooled into thinking that matte is easier because it still needs to be spayed even and without blemish.

2007 MV F4 1000R
2005 Aprilia RSV1000R Factory
2018 CBR1000RR SP2 / 2011 CBR1000RR / 2004 CBR1000RR / 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R / 1985 Honda NS400R
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Ah I see.
So for a noobie like me, it would be best to ask a professional to do the parts for me?

LIVE TO RIDE,RIDE TO LIVE LIVE TO RIDE,RIDE TO LIVE LIVE TO RIDE,RIDE TO LIVE LIVE TO RIDE,RIDE TO LIVE

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

What about vinyl wrapping as a method?
Like I said, id like it to be easy for me to do.

Is vinyl wrapping easy for me to do as a beginner? And If so, what are the benefits and what are the drawbacks?

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:40 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishi34 View Post
What about vinyl wrapping as a method?
Like I said, id like it to be easy for me to do.

Is vinyl wrapping easy for me to do as a beginner? And If so, what are the benefits and what are the drawbacks?
Vinyl wrapping is comparatively straight forward for flat areas - and gets much trickier with curves etc.

Also be aware that it does not hide blemishes such as scratches.

Rattle can is your best bet ... and farm it out to a pro if you eff it up

Proud owner of a 2015 F4 and a graduate of the school of 'stupid hurts!'
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:49 PM
Established Member

Like anything else, practice and experience is key. Don't be afraid to try things. Paint some items that you don't care about. If that works, do the stuff you do care about. The people that you will pay to do coatings (or anything else) started that way. The difference between and expert and a novice is experience. Experience involves mistakes.

Here's a recent project of mine. This is my internet connection at the top of the hill behind my house. I pick up wireless signal 6 miles to the south and use a wireless bridge to get the data to my house down in the canyon 400' below. The tower is 25' high. I had zero experience in building towers or solar power before this. I did all the construction myself. I designed and built the tower and the solar mount. The only help I had was from a neighbor that used his auger to drill the holes for the concrete pilings that the tower is on.

The lesson here is, 'Don't be afraid to try.' The results can be quite gratifying.

Oh, and I now get 40Mb/Sec internet service.
Attached Images

2017 Dragster

2014 BMW R1200GS
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

So i see I could try both vinyl wrapping and canned spray paint.

I hear that spray painting needs a lot of preparation and different products. Would I need to sand my parts? What materials do I need? How many layers of each product would I need to spray?

What steps would I need to take? If I could get steps for both metal parts and plastic parts, it would be really helpful for me.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:34 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
If its metal powder coating.It is tough and long lasting.
Anodising is another method for Alloy parts.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode