F3 Why Disconnect Exhaust Valve? - Page 2 - MVAgusta.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 05:25 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTrogg View Post
Perhaps a silly question and sorry if this was covered elsewhere but is there any risk to the engine when running valve fully open or while riding to dealership with the fault on? If not I'll just yank the cables since I've currently got the malfunction happening....
Found this with a quick search.

"The purpose of this system according to the motorcycle manufacturersí marketing departments is to create back-pressure at lower RPMís to increase torque. Unfortunately, this probably isnít the real reason; the true purpose of the exup valves is to meet noise and emissions regulations. The exhaust valves are partially closed at idle and low rpm to reduce noise, and closed again at the upper RPMs to meet peak noise and emissions regulations. The proof of this has been shown on the dyno where removing the valves and retuning the engine creates a flatter better torque curve. Additionally, in the USA, most bikes close the valve again at the upper RPM range, but in Europe they do not (different regulations) and the European bikes typically create a few more HP on the top end as a result."

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 05:45 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
That is mis-information.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTrogg View Post
Perhaps a silly question and sorry if this was covered elsewhere but is there any risk to the engine when running valve fully open or while riding to dealership with the fault on? If not I'll just yank the cables since I've currently got the malfunction happening....

Only if there is a change in exhaust note. If it's stuck closed then don't ride it until you disconnect it or check. You'll know if it's stuck closed as the when you rev it the exhaust will sound totally muffled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 07:46 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Gold_Saw View Post
Found this with a quick search.

"The purpose of this system according to the motorcycle manufacturersí marketing departments is to create back-pressure at lower RPMís to increase torque. Unfortunately, this probably isnít the real reason; the true purpose of the exup valves is to meet noise and emissions regulations. The exhaust valves are partially closed at idle and low rpm to reduce noise, and closed again at the upper RPMs to meet peak noise and emissions regulations. The proof of this has been shown on the dyno where removing the valves and retuning the engine creates a flatter better torque curve. Additionally, in the USA, most bikes close the valve again at the upper RPM range, but in Europe they do not (different regulations) and the European bikes typically create a few more HP on the top end as a result."
Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
That is mis-information.
Can't be wrong...it's on the internet!

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 07:48 AM

Thank's for the info, from what I can tell the valve isn't properly sync'd. I opened up the servo and gave it a spray of contact cleaner then tightened the cables, there was some noticeable slack in the lines. The valve moved smoothly by hand and was moving when turning the throttle. Had the code show up when sitting idle for a while but after refueling it didn't show up again. I'm guessing there is still some adjustment I could do on the cables....
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 07:56 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
@MrTrogg: There are adjusters at the valve end of the cables. They adjust like a brake cable barrel adjuster. You can probably take any additional slack out at that end.

Name:  F3 Exhaust Valve Adjustment.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  105.6 KB

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 09:41 AM

Yup, I should have been more clear. I did adjust them via that method however the loose wording in the manual suggested to not over tighten it. It's probably me just not doing it enough to get all of the slack out.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 10:01 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
Can't be wrong...it's on the internet!
Never said or mentioned that it are facts.
Just a quick search.

Im sure esq'z me knows a bit more about it since he mentioned he worked on motorcycles in another post I read few weeks ago.
And ofcourse the earlier comment he posted.

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 10:20 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Do NOT over tighten the cables...you will damage the actuator. Only one cable actually pulls against the valve spring (which tries to open the valve...default, no cable position is full open). The other cable helps maintain proper opening position based on ECU signal. It is normal for one cable to have some slack.

The following information is based on the systems I am familiar with. I have not studied the MV system, but suspect it is the same as all the other ones out there.

There is a position sensor on the actuator. It is a 3 wire 5 volt sensor that tells the ECU where the valve is positioned, and the ECU then activates the servo motor to move the valve where it wants it.

At full open the voltage signal should be 4.2 volts +/- .3 volts. At full closed it should be 0.9 volts +/- .3 Or vice versa...I can never remember which.

You can disconnect the actuator connector and use a 9v battery to rotate the pulley to full open or full closed with the key on (yes, it will create a fault code, but that will clear when you plug it back in).
Then back probe the still connected sensor wires, adjusting the cables to achieve the correct sensor reading. You use a 9v battery so you don't smoke the actuator with big amperage from a 12 v bike battery or similar.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)

Last edited by esq'z me; 06-04-2018 at 10:23 AM.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

OK

So in my case I have a ECU studio licence with the full OEM maps as well as the MV kit maps that don't have the exhaust valve setup.

Do I run the stock maps with the exhaust valve working or do I disconnect and run the MV Kit maps that supposedly don't compromise for environmental concerns?

I bought the kit to activate the blipper, if I can get better performance with a different map then I will do so. The issue is I don't know if removing the exhaust valve is a step forward or backward?

I blame esq'z me for this. Had my mind made up until you came planting your seeds of doubt...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode