ECU studio/Gabro tune reviews? Any tune reviews?? - MVAgusta.net
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

ECU studio/Gabro tune reviews? Any tune reviews??

Has anyone gotten this tune? How is it? How does it compare to stock? Were there improvements to the TC making it more usable (based on what I've heard it's pretty crude and recommend to have turned off)?

Same goes for any other tunes. Is it a must have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 02:01 AM

I can't talk for the F3 but I use ECUStudio on the F4, it's the same base ECU and as I understand it the control structures are the same.

The traction control seems to work ok for me. At level 1 or 3 in the rain depending if I'm road or track.

As I understand it ECUstudio uses the MV TC system, you can't change the underlying algorithms and I'm not sure I'd want to.

Clearly apart from full fuel, ignition control etc, you get control over QS and Blipper settings in each gear. Rad Fan control, engine braking, fuel cut off control, lambda sensor elimination or not, exhaust valve or not and full control of the Ride by wire & can bus data logging.

Personally I've found it to be ideal for me, I've managed to get the bike to feel like mine and to get the throttle response and control to my (personal) liking.

I've posted a few times about it, have a look through the f4 and performance forums for my name or ecustudio.
Strider78rr and Strider78rr like this.

Arron

----------------------------------------
2015 MV F4, ABS
ECU Mapped with ECUstudio
QS & Blipper working with ECUstudio

others
GSXR 1000
GSXR 750
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 03:33 AM

I am keen to know more about the Gabro tuning Too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks for your reply Aaron. Iíve read some of your postings about it and appreciate your knowledge. Does the tune clean the bike up even further than the most recent MV programming?

Admittedly Iím only left with what spoiled motojournalists have to say about the bike. So that is the TC is shite and the rest of the electronics are terrible depending on which version you have.

Iím still waiting for winter to end here in Minnesota. I have a friend with a Ď14 that is going to let me try his bike at Road America in May. If I like it and when my VFR800 sells Iíll likely be jumping (unless I like the S1000RR better).
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 10:53 AM

The inertial platform has improved imo with the updates and I assume that is true for the F3, these are ported over into ecustudio.

I'm very happy with it. Once the fueling and throttle is fixed, it's a very good bike.

I recently built a 2018 racebike for one of my old team mates. I prefer the MV to ride, the R1 is fast and capable but a bit cold. The R1 also cost about 1600 quid to sort the fueling ( was worst standard throttle I have ever used) quickshifter and blipper.

If you go on YouTube look for a flying lap of Cadwell Park, it's fast, twisty, you need a bike that handles and responds well to the throttle and brakes to ride with confidence. My first time there with the MV was one of oh dear what have I done? Once I sorted the control and fueling (in my case ecustudio) it felt like my favourite circuit again.

Arron

2015 MV F4, ABS

others
GSXR 1000
GSXR 750
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansoarr View Post
the R1 is fast and capable but a bit cold. The R1 also cost about 1600 quid to sort the fueling ( was worst standard throttle I have ever used) quickshifter and blipper.

What else does it need outside of a reflash and maybe a pipe? Its funny how people differ on opposite sides of the pond. Over here people are foaming at the mouth about how good the R1 is.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider78rr View Post
What else does it need outside of a reflash and maybe a pipe? Its funny how people differ on opposite sides of the pond. Over here people are foaming at the mouth about how good the R1 is.
Don't get me wrong the R1 is a really competent bike. If I was still racing and the the objective was to collect as many pots as possible I'd probably buy the R1. As there are more people making more parts etc. And if I have a problem then there are 50 people in the paddock with R1s that I can ask, or beg \ borrow parts from.

If my intention was just to do the odd race and have a lot of fun it's the FROM hands down.

At the end of the day both bikes are better than me. I think the R1 might be initially easier to ride fast if you have always had jap bikes, although the the riding position is getting higher.

Many of us end up on this forum because we just wanted an MV, I could have bought the R1 or the new GSXR ( only ever raced GSXRs in terms of 4 strokes) but wanted the F4 as it's special the F3 is similar. The DR is still the only machine I've had people taking pictures of.

Objectively I had some major issues with the electronics on the R1, very first thing you have to do is move the ecu, either strain the wires or do a full loom chop and move it to under the seat. The ABS is junk, even if you turn it off, you are left with a strange leaver feel that does not inspire you. The F4s abs is actually quite good and if you turn it off it feels just like a Brembo or galespeed in my case should.

The MV will always draw attention in 2 years the R1 will not be new and something else will be the must have.

As to what else you need on an F3? Clearly pipe, flash, blipper if not standard, air filter. Double bubble screen depending how tall and where you ride. But that's a std list for most bikes.

Arron

2015 MV F4, ABS

others
GSXR 1000
GSXR 750
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

What's your opinion on how an F3 800 would do on a track day hanging with 1000's? I gather it's a lot about the rider. My buddies all have R1's and RSV4's. I'm entertained by the idea of an S1000RR (maybe CBR1000RR) but I'm not sure that I REALLY need the power. My track bike history is a GS500, Daytona 675/Street triple, SV650, RC51 ('07 CBR600RR for this year). I was pretty quick and finally got into the fast group with the RC51. It's mass was causing me problems, its quite the handful for me. I'm 5' 7" and 29 inch inseam so a tall 480lb bike makes life "interesting".

Your list of parts seems like about what I was thinking as well. Add suspension to the list of course. It being the serious toy bike it could use the extra bling hehe.

Last edited by Strider78rr; 04-19-2018 at 09:57 PM.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 10:27 PM

I used to race a 750 against the 1000s back in the early 2000s. Through the stop start twisty sections it was easy to stay with them, on a straight however all things being equal I'd lose 5 or 6 bike lengths, only to make it all up through the bends.

I'd assume the F3 would be similar. If your tracks a large GP style it may be harder to stay with your mates, if the circuits are more scratching types (like the UK) then they may pull away on the straights but you will have a slight advantage through the tight sections, less weight and easier to use power.

The big thing is the weight, given what you said about the 600 I'd say go small and be comfortable. In the end it will be more fun and it's still a weapon.

If a mate on an R1 loses you on the straight, they have no bragging rights, you get the jump on them coming out of a chicane then you get the bragging rights even if they pass you in a straight line.

Oh obviously add clip-ons to your list.

Arron

2015 MV F4, ABS

others
GSXR 1000
GSXR 750
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 11:02 AM

This is my experience with running my 675R versus some of the larger bikes, given rider skill does have quite a bit to do with your results also.
As mentioned above, you can exploit the larger bikes in areas where it is tighter, off camber, quicker transitions, and places where the bikes can only use so much power.

The F3 800 I feel is a very suitable compromise where you will not need all the electronic aids, to put down the power. With tire technology 140rwhp should not be overwhelming a slick, and I would say without being totally hamfisted, a supercorsa SP should be fine for MANY trackday riders, especially in the intermediate groups.

The main reason I bought my f3 800 was to have that addition 25rwhp and torque over my 675R, and maintaining the fun and enjoyment of a supersport.. Will be looking at my first track review of the bike on 28 may. will have y 675R for comparison.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode