New aux lights and wiring question - MVAgusta.net
 3Likes
  • 4 Post By davehg
  • 1 Post By über

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

New aux lights and wiring question

I installed a set of Clearwater Darla lights on my 2014 1090RR, primarily to make me more visible when riding. I already owned a pair of these lights for my FJR and I like them because they draw little power (LED), are really compact, and have an adjustable dimmer to make the lights super bright or mildly visible. If I am riding at night, these really light up the road too - essential given how many forest critters one encounters at night in rural PNW neighborhoods.

Some pix below. I have two remaining wires to hook up using a simple posi-tap that clips onto a wire but doesn't require any splicing. The two wires I have questions about are:

1. A "trigger wire" or "switched lead" that causes the light's relay switch to power on when I turn the ignition on.
2. Headlight wire for the "brights" (this causes the Clearwater's to turn off when I hit the brights so I don't totally blind someone.

I need to be able to tap both wires into wires located next to the front headlight, and the spare wires won't reach the rear of the bike. Would love any insights about which color wires/locations to tap, before I go poking around with a multimeter

Here's a shot of the lights installed. I had to re-drill the top holes for the mounting brackets (created for a Ducati) as they didn't quite line up but this was easy.

2019 Honda Monkey / 2014 Brutale 1090 RR / 2014 KTM 1190R / 2012 Triumph Bonneville SMQ / 2008 FJR 1300 /2009 Husqvarna TE310 / 1966 Metisse Desert Racer (2008 312R - sold; 2007 F4 - sold).

Last edited by davehg; 01-22-2018 at 11:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Answering my own post: I quickly realized the LED lights on the front speedo cover were an easy source of switched power. Popped the windscreen off, tapped the red wire from the LEDs and now we’re cookin with gas! Turns out the dimmer worked fine and no need to tap the hi beam wire. Lights are super bright and significantly increase visibility.

2019 Honda Monkey / 2014 Brutale 1090 RR / 2014 KTM 1190R / 2012 Triumph Bonneville SMQ / 2008 FJR 1300 /2009 Husqvarna TE310 / 1966 Metisse Desert Racer (2008 312R - sold; 2007 F4 - sold).
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:16 AM

New Site Garage
Send a message via AIM to über Send a message via Skype™ to über
Thanks for sharing @davehg, even if you just answered your own questions 😉 been looking at lighting solutions like this lately, along with turn signals that have integrated running lights. When you commute, always nice to to be more noticeable.
davehg likes this.

WHAT'S THE WORST THAT CAN HAPPEN?!
'09 Brutale 1078RR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, '05 Brutale S 750
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Find me on
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM

Nice! I wish my MV had the ability to have the high beams and the low beams on at the same time. This looks like a good solution.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in