Help with dangerous snatchy throttle Microtec 1090RR - MVAgusta.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Help with dangerous snatchy throttle Microtec 1090RR

Got Microtec on my 2011 1090RR bought from Chris X-Bikes. With stock mapping that came with the ECU It ran terribly rich, was bogging down on lower rpm and was very noisy throughout the entire rpm and yes I did TPS reset prior. So I booked a 4 hours dyno rental with a very reputable tuner with big workshop and many customers. I was supposed to attend the tuning session to oversee it and be involved in the process because there is not a single tuner in the entire country I would trust on a bike but something came up and I wasn't able to come to the dyno session.. apparently I was right once again on my negative opinion of the entire country's tuner, I was wrong to give them the benefit of the doubt, I thought they would learn something after so long (the last so called bike tuner I dealt with was 4 years ago). The result on my bike showed that the tuner was totally ignorant whose only concern was gassing the bike to full throttle and nothing else, TPS was absolutely out of whack tuner reset the position from 0.0 to 100.0 instead of the by the book 2.3-80.0 (showing that the tuner didn't even bother watching the initial config setup video from Chris), low speed fueling/timing was crap, the backfire on decel could wake the dead, the inside of my muffler is covered with black crap, engine temp was higher by one bar.....

When I complained the response from the tuner was as follow:
- Bucky low RPM = OOhhhh that is because your bike is much powerful now, nothing I can do about that!
- Backfire = It sound cool ain't it? Just wear earplugs!
- Higher engine temp = The bike makes more power now, off course it's hotter!
It was like dejavu all over again when my last Harley got 25MPG after a dyno tune by another so called famous Harley tuner, his answer was = You ride a Harley, just suck it up and buy more fuel!

After my Harley tune 4 years ago I forced myself to learn how to tune with seat of the pants feeling and although my tuning result is definitely far from perfect it is million miles better than all the results I experienced with D!$*head so called bike tuners in the country, no wonder there is nobody from my country ever win an international race ever!

Long story short, by using my logic, experience and lots of swearing I was able to tune out the backfire and higher engine temp. However, low speed fueling was still absolutely horrible, A LOT worse than stock ECU and with that much power available in an instant I would sometimes get accidental slight front tire lift and that is scary as hell when happening in traffic. I have zero experience in tuning out this bucky low rpm problem because all my previous ECU tuning experiences was on cars, Triumph and Harley so naturally I never had this bucky low RPM problem before. Based on the general consensus what would you tune to fix this on/off feeling on low rpm response? .. I am thinking adding more timing on the affected rpm range (current timing on the affected area is filled with negative numbers)

I have asked for Chris' X-Bikes assistance and sent him my dyno result and tuning files, off course he immediately responded and told me that he would try to perfect my files. It's been three days and no files yet, I am not complaining I know from the get go that this service Chris provide for free will take some time considering how busy Chris is and I don't want to be that nagging dude annoying the bejesus of Chris. I will wait however long needed for Chris to send me revised files but I really miss riding her and I already missed today's track day that was supposed to be my first because I just do not want to ride the bike with this horrible low rpm hard bucking.

Sorry for the long rambling and the negativity but please excuse my frustration

Attached is the dyno result and tune files.

Thanks in advance folks!!
Attached Images

MY11 1090RR

Last edited by uwiik; 11-18-2017 at 06:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
One more quick question for those who buy Microtec from X-bikes... I didn't save the original config and map files embeded to the ECU when shipped, I assumed the file is the same stock config and map files coming with the software package Chris let you download from his link when you buy the ECU from him. Just now I attempted to revert back my ECU to it's Microtec ECU original setting by loading the files that came with the software package and the bike won't even start. It would crank and fire up for less than half a second and instantly dies, when I tried to rock the throttle while hitting start button it threw off loud bang from the exhaust. What gives?

MY11 1090RR
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 08:08 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Wow..... Sorry for your frustration. I am NOT the expert, but when I installed the Microtec on my Brutale it was very hard to start. The Ducati tuner I took it to found the pre-injection (short spray of fuel when key is turned on to prime the cylinders) was too short. He increased the pre-injection several milli-seconds and now she starts right away.
The setting was somewhere in the Config files.

I don't know if that will help you. And yes, Chris is very busy and patience is a virtue when working with him. Good luck

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Wow..... Sorry for your frustration. I am NOT the expert, but when I installed the Microtec on my Brutale it was very hard to start. The Ducati tuner I took it to found the pre-injection (short spray of fuel when key is turned on to prime the cylinders) was too short. He increased the pre-injection several milli-seconds and now she starts right away.
The setting was somewhere in the Config files.

I don't know if that will help you. And yes, Chris is very busy and patience is a virtue when working with him. Good luck
Thanks for the kind words I am not an expert too but I am willing to listen and read, still trying to find a word to describe the local tuner here though ..... Thanks a million for the tips, it definitely helped to unclog what passed as a brain of mine... I will give it a try tomorrow morning!!

Can't blame Chris, I am sure he got bikes lined up on his door to tune and this email tuning thing without even seeing the bike is definitely much harder for him to accomplish, that is exactly why I started this thread, trying to get help from this forum. I just don't know whether to send him reminder or just let him be?

MY11 1090RR
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
config and maps

Attached are my config, fuel mapping, timing mapping, 3d Fuel map and 3d Timing map....The 3d graph are definitely looking messy....Hopefully these will help anybody wanting to help. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

MY11 1090RR

Last edited by uwiik; 11-18-2017 at 08:59 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 03:20 PM

New Site Garage
uwiik,

I had much the same problem with a tuner when I first installed my Microtec. He wouldn't talk to Chris (wanker) and fucked it up, although not to your extent. You have to save the config and map files as Chris points out in his video, literature etc. Very important! I have both files here for a 1090 from installing a Microtec on a mates bike. Without treading on Chris's toes, PM me and I'll send them to you. If you start with a map that's close then it's pretty simple to fine tune it to almost perfect. I'm willing to help walk you through any problems if I can.

Cheers

Deano
esq'z me, esq'z me, uwiik and 1 others like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deano For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
uwiik,

I had much the same problem with a tuner when I first installed my Microtec. He wouldn't talk to Chris (wanker) and fucked it up, although not to your extent. You have to save the config and map files as Chris points out in his video, literature etc. Very important! I have both files here for a 1090 from installing a Microtec on a mates bike. Without treading on Chris's toes, PM me and I'll send them to you. If you start with a map that's close then it's pretty simple to fine tune it to almost perfect. I'm willing to help walk you through any problems if I can.

Cheers

Deano
Much appreciated Deano, this just made my day. PM sent.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

MY11 1090RR
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Pulled some timing from 1000-1750 RPM @ 2.3 TPS ending up at -1.8 -5.1 in linear fashion and the severe bucking on throttle roll has subsided, still a bit of snatch when I roll it too quick but very manageable and doesn't lift the front tire anymore unless I want to, then it will lift with no effort. I would say now the snatchy low rpm throttle is the same as stock ECU or slightly better, tried to pull a bit more and the bucking came back slightly so I reverted back. Happy now that the bike is at least manageable.

I noticed that my timing on idle is jumping around like a rabbit on heat during (jump between 1-1.5 deg up and down), I am going to pull all 4 plugs to inspect tomorrow I assume these must be fouled already by the initial rich condition. Now l will just wait for the stock file from Deano to have a good base map to play around with. Life is good once again!! Thanks folks!!

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

MY11 1090RR

Last edited by uwiik; 11-19-2017 at 05:36 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Got the files from Deano, apparently the files I have on ECU is the tweaked version of the stock map that was pre loaded on the ECU, thanks to Deano now I have the bone stock version of the pre loaded map. I can finally put my mind on rest knowing that at least I have Chris' stock map now to work on the few minor niggles I am still having.

MY11 1090RR
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 03:53 AM

telski53

Hi all you guys,

I bought my first Brutale 1090 RR last year & love it other than the snatchy throttle response issue. I Spoke to MCN's Chris Dabbs asking if there was a fix but he told me no fix possible & that the later (2013) models have a newer ECU which has helped to eliminate this problem. My Brutale is a 2011 so I thought ok. I will have to live with it or change the bike. I then spoke to a race tuner from my home town & he said an ECU flash would help straighten it out, being somewhat lacking in the electronics department I agreed to have it done & I asked him to line me up for spring next year. Since then I have joined this site & have been reading your posts & am now listening to you guys talking 'Microtec'. Can anyone here enlighten me. I have a trip to The Red Bull Ring via the Stelvio Pass in August & it would great, not to mention safer if this issue was fixed. Many thanks & looking forward to your replies.
telski53

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode