Custom slip on, is a tune a priority or can it wait a bit? - MVAgusta.net
 3Likes
  • 4 Post By esq'z me
  • 2 Post By Maximum Velocity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Custom slip on, is a tune a priority or can it wait a bit?

Just had my buddy whip up an exhaust for my Brutale 800 Dragster. Turned out pretty good, we may block off a pipe or do something to quiet it up a bit, but i'm gonna rock it like this for a while. I dont really want to get a tune until I decide if im going to change it up or not. ECU Studio is coming out with an android app for their software. Id like to at least wait for that before I buy their cable/software. Every forum has those guys that say slip ons without a tune will lead to some kind of engine failure so just want to know how crucial it is for this one.
Attached Images

2003 Honda CBR 954 - Sold
2004 Suzuki GSX-600R - Sold
2011 Suzuki GSX-600R - Sold
2012 Ducati Monster 796 - Sold
2015 MV Agusta Brutale 800 Dragster - Current
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 07:56 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Your fueling will not be very good.....don't be flogging it until you find out which way. May foul plugs from being too rich or burn valves from being too lean. Get it on a dyno now and find out which way the AF curve went.

Most of the time when people make their own pipes they lose lots of horsepower in the process of making more noise. There is serious engineering in the stock exhaust system to get the most and best power out of the engine. You just negated all that.

It does look good though !!!

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Your fueling will not be very good.....don't be flogging it until you find out which way. May foul plugs from being too rich or burn valves from being too lean. Get it on a dyno now and find out which way the AF curve went.

Most of the time when people make their own pipes they lose lots of horsepower in the process of making more noise. There is serious engineering in the stock exhaust system to get the most and best power out of the engine. You just negated all that.
I wont be riding much, if at all, this winter so I will get it on the dyno promptly in the spring. Im not really worried about any loss in horsepower but I would denote most of the engineering in the stock exhaust to be for noise. This thing sounded like a moped to me.

2003 Honda CBR 954 - Sold
2004 Suzuki GSX-600R - Sold
2011 Suzuki GSX-600R - Sold
2012 Ducati Monster 796 - Sold
2015 MV Agusta Brutale 800 Dragster - Current
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 12:48 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprygsxr14 View Post
I would denote most of the engineering in the stock exhaust to be for noise.
Not true....

Yes, the engineers do have to meet certain noise regulations in many different countries, and it is true that they target the lowest sound level so the bike will be legal in all markets, but total noise is what they deal with. A lot of engineering goes into reducing mechanical noise from the engine, not just exhaust noise.

But the engineers also have to achieve the highest possible power delivery...and a usable power delivery at that. A balancing act to be sure: power/driveability/sound.

Most small aftermarket exhaust companies cannot match the engineering level of the manufacturer, and home builders can't at all. Just making a louder exhaust does not make the engine more powerful. Without understanding the sound waves present in the exhaust system at differing RPMs and loads you can't build a pipe that makes proper power across the torque curve. Lot's of variables in there.

Anyway...like I said, your's looks nice. I hope it is not too loud and I hope you get a nice torque curve once you get the fueling right. Just remember, "Loud Pipes Cost Rights."

I like a good sounding exhaust as much as anyone, but some bikes are just obnoxious.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 01:21 PM

New Site Garage
From all the 3 cilinders with another slip on I have seen on the Dyno they were all good on the fueling. Apparently the ecu is regulating quite well. So not too much to worry I guess. For the 4 cilinders on the other hand it is very different; slip on and right away needed tuning.
sprygsxr14 and sprygsxr14 like this.

What a beast of a motorcycle!
It growls and rages and flies across the tarmac like a wild animal that has escaped the confinement of a cage and after merely waiting restlessly until the release, will not endure being locked up ever again.

Skye I miss you. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 03:58 PM

So, a QD or HP pipe on a rival may not need really mapping. I know to get the most out of it, remapping would be optimal. Want to add a pipe, slip on, but new to mv and not sure how sensitive the Ecu is. I wonder if a power commander for a brutale will work on a rivale. Has anyone tried this?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode