ECU Studio Review - MVAgusta.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
ECU Studio Review

A little backstory to start off with. I bought a 2015 F4 RR partly because of the blipper as a standard feature (had an aftermarket one installed on my last bike and it was amazing). Turns out not all of the F4 RR's actually came with the EAS 2.0 sensor installed from the factory that enabled the blipper as a feature. In retrospect this seems like a shady as hell marketing tactic, but whatever. I looked at my options on getting the blipping functionality re-enabled since that was a pretty big reason I got this bike over a Panigale S, new RSV4, S1000RR, etc. and there were only really 3 options.

1. Buy MV's special rearset that comes with the sensor and a code for the dealer to flash the ECU to turn it back on for $850-$1000 (and who knows how long it takes for MV to actually ship the part)
2. ECU Studio and their sensor
3. Install a 2 directional sensor myself and figure out how to enable the software in the ECU

On principal alone I was very much against giving MV any more money especially for a functionality that should've been included in the purchase price. As for the third option, I didn't want to waste potentially months rigging up something that might not even work.

ECU Studio
-------------

N1-Design, the company that makes ECU Studio, is one of the most professional companies I've worked with in the motorcycle industry. Not only did they provide excellent pre-sales support, they outdid themselves on the post-sales aspect as well.

Luca and I had multiple emails back and forth pre-sales to clarify exactly what is offered by ECU Studio and if it met my intended needs. I ended up buying ECU Studio after a good half dozen emails back and forth. But their post-sales support is really where they shine. Out of the box, it took some effort to get the blipping function enabled, but Luca stuck with me throughout the troubleshooting process. I have records of 20+ back and forth emails from the very first issue I had until I finally got the blipper working 2 weeks later. Throughout this entire process Luca's responses were prompt and professional despite being halfway around the world and working in a different timezone. I got responses back even outside of his local business hours which goes to show how much he stands behind his product.

As for ECU Studio itself the menus are very intuitive and their guide is enough to get you up and running. I have yet to use the fuel mapping functionality yet, but the few settings I explored outside the quickshifter worked flawlessly and the logging function is immensely useful for troubleshooting. The quickshifter itself also functions exactly as you would think. Their cut times for upshifts are drastically better than the factory MV quickshifter and the blipping is VERY smooth. Where most blippers struggle are at the low end of the RPM spectrum, but ECU Studio got the mapping down as slow as 2nd to 1st @ 23 MPH and even there it's pretty smooth. On the opposite end of the RPM spectrum, the whole system was pure butter and much better than I could do either rev matching or clutchless downshifting myself.

So despite the struggles I had getting ECU Studio to work for my intended purpose, based on their support alone I would highly recommend their product to anyone looking to enable blipping on their F4. I'm planning on getting my F4 tuned after my cat delete so once that happens I can also review their fuel mapping functionality.
christosc and christosc like this.

Previous Bikes:
2006 Suzuki SV650S
2003 Yamaha R6
2006 Kawasaki ZX6-R
2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2015 Ducati 899 Panigale

Current Bikes:
2003 Honda 954RR (track bike)
2007 Honda CBR600RR (race bike)
2015 MV Agusta F4 RR (daily)
The Following User Says Thank You to m0dnar For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 11:24 PM

So I gather you went with option 3 and got another sensor? Do you mind posting more details of hardware and software steps to get the autoblip to work? Must admit, I'm quite happy with the QS upshift on my stock setup, but wouldn't mind having blip for downshift as well.

Who moved my cheese?

MY04 Brutale 750S
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 12:58 AM

I had exactly the same experiance with ecustuio. Luca was always very attentive and resolved the technical issues we found with the ABS. My blipper worked straight away once Luca added the adjustable voltage limits for me.

I am suprised ecustuio is not used more my MV owners as for me it was the only way to really control the ecu.

Arron

----------------------------------------
2015 MV F4, ABS
ECU Mapped with ECUstudio
QS & Blipper working with ECUstudio

others
GSXR 1000
GSXR 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 02:45 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Im one of the early adapters of ecu studio and i love it!

But i have some critics as well.

First, it's a unfinished package u buy. the software is buggy and does not come with proper help guides. If you need support [ and you will] you soley depend on email conversations with Luca who is very helpful but not always fast responding. The webside has a ticket system but i already gave up on that.

Second, it's unclear what the latest release of ECU studio is. No notification if or when updates will be available. Same for ROM releases.

In general i would say it's a must have for any MV owner, but only for the real hobbyist. It can be quite time consuming to get things done.

What i really miss in this package is a good information source like a Forum where things can be discussed.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.RP View Post
So I gather you went with option 3 and got another sensor? Do you mind posting more details of hardware and software steps to get the autoblip to work? Must admit, I'm quite happy with the QS upshift on my stock setup, but wouldn't mind having blip for downshift as well.
No, I went with option 2. It took some troubleshooting, but I did end up using ECU Studio and their provided sensor. I'm not sure if they want me publicly posting which sensor they use, but it is a name brand sensor used directly by manufacturers as well. Don't quote me on the next part, but they might have at one point even been the brand who provided sensors for MV. I had the sensor initially installed improperly and I have a very specific rearset setup AND I'm running GP shift so... my setup was never going to be as simple as the average person's.

Previous Bikes:
2006 Suzuki SV650S
2003 Yamaha R6
2006 Kawasaki ZX6-R
2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2015 Ducati 899 Panigale

Current Bikes:
2003 Honda 954RR (track bike)
2007 Honda CBR600RR (race bike)
2015 MV Agusta F4 RR (daily)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCEE View Post
Im one of the early adapters of ecu studio and i love it!

But i have some critics as well.

First, it's a unfinished package u buy. the software is buggy and does not come with proper help guides. If you need support [ and you will] you soley depend on email conversations with Luca who is very helpful but not always fast responding. The webside has a ticket system but i already gave up on that.

Second, it's unclear what the latest release of ECU studio is. No notification if or when updates will be available. Same for ROM releases.

In general i would say it's a must have for any MV owner, but only for the real hobbyist. It can be quite time consuming to get things done.

What i really miss in this package is a good information source like a Forum where things can be discussed.
Hi RCEE,
you have some good points here.
We upgraded the user guides (thanks to Dansoarr) and a number of short help hint inside the software (those available by clicking on the question mark icon in the map window toolbar) but, guess what, very few users read them.
For that reason, support is taking, literally, 50% of my working hours and a good amount of my off-work time.
The ticket system has been a p.i.t.a. for us as well, it's not fun to find out it behaves pretty much like it wants. We missed months of tickets open. Luckily almost every user sent us an email after having no reply to tickets for a while. Unfortunately nobody told us about the open ticket issue. Well, that should be sorted out now. I apologise about that, it was not meant.

We suffered for the same lack of support as well. The first interface we were using, and selling, was full of bugs. We tried to solve the problem with the manufacturer, even offering to rewrite the firmware on our own...no way. No updates, no bugs fixing and that brought a lot of emails and requests for assistance. In the end I decided to stop what I was doing on the MV (pit limiter, map switch, various race features) and to design our own ECU Studio interface. Guess what, no more lost licences, no more flash errors, improved log speed and much more. So, there have been updates.

No updates on ROM files. Yes, for a simple reason. The ROMs sent with the auto blipper enabled are fully functional. MV hasn't released any update for years. They did this year (in March) and there is literally no improvement in them. I decided not to release the updates before the summer/holidays because that would have led to a long series of emails/requests for support in the best time of the year to use the bike. Since MV already released buggy ROM in the past I decided not to risk, took my time to deeply review the updates and when I'll be satisfied I'll release it to every one.
Looking at the ROMs every one has I can't see anything not working properly: fuelling, ignition timing, RPM limiter, QS and blipper, fuel cut off, torque calculations, throttle control, ex.valve removal just to name a few. Everything works and if not please send me an email (I mean it...I wish someone could show me every little bug or wrong definition in the SW/ROMs, it'd save me days of work).

A few users reported problems setting up the QS/blipper, it's true, but that never requested a ROM update to be solved except for the F4 that has a different sensor and a "reversed" shifting mechanism. I had no idea about that and I'm glad Dansoarr helped me spotting this difference. What I'm saying is that there has been very little updates because the product for the MV came out 99% complete otherwise no one would have a working QS&blipper by now.
Also notice, not a single ECU has been bricked by ECU Studio (except those I bricked during development, if I pile them up I could build a small house). It means the product is quite mature. Mature enough that MV itself showed interest in it.

About the forum. You don't know (and no one here does ) but there was a forum. I closed it down years ago, before the MV project, because in less than a month it was full of fake users giving wrong infos. The ECUs reflash market is ruthless. It has been quite easy to spot the bad apples but not easy to prevent it from happening again. I don't want our customer to receive false infos. It's bad for you and it's bad for us. I think about reopening the forum every day but it would only move the workload from the ticket system/email to the forum. It's not something that can live uncontrolled.

In the end, no one is perfect. I'm not, ECU Studio is not but constantly evolving at the best pace I can.

Peace and wheelies!

p.s. m0dnar, thank you!
Mutsuaki likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 11:15 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Thanks for hopping in

Quote:
We upgraded the user guides (thanks to Dansoarr) and a number of short help hint inside the software (those available by clicking on the question mark icon in the map window toolbar) but, guess what, very few users read them.
Good, but as to date my ECU Studio [v2.3] does not have ANY of the "question mark" boxes filled. So i assume updates are available but they never come to the end user? How can we know updates exist? What prevents you from having accurate help files available on the website?

Quote:
Looking at the ROMs every one has I can't see anything not working properly: fuelling, ignition timing, RPM limiter, QS and blipper, fuel cut off, torque calculations, throttle control, ex.valve removal just to name a few. Everything works and if not please send me an email (I mean it...I wish someone could show me every little bug or wrong definition in the SW/ROMs, it'd save me days of work).
After flashing your ROM my bike had a terrible lack of power....took me some time to figure out this was caused by the exhaust valve not opening. Enabeling trough the software did not work[ it still does not] leaving me the cables disconnected and having the valve opened manually. Quite a serious issue because i made several testdrives with the bike exposed to extreme exhaust temparatures due a closed valve. Thankfully no permanent damage occured....

Quote:
No updates on ROM files. Yes, for a simple reason. The ROMs sent with the auto blipper enabled are fully functional. MV hasn't released any update for years. They did this year (in March) and there is literally no improvement in them. I decided not to release the updates before the summer/holidays because that would have led to a long series of emails/requests for support in the best time of the year to use the bike. Since MV already released buggy ROM in the past I decided not to risk, took my time to deeply review the updates and when I'll be satisfied I'll release it to every one.
I read many positive feedback about MV's latest software releases. Especially in therms of drivability. Updates -even minor- should be made available for everyone. Personally i would be willing to pay for that.

Quote:
About the forum. You don't know (and no one here does ) but there was a forum. I closed it down years ago, before the MV project, because in less than a month it was full of fake users giving wrong infos. The ECUs reflash market is ruthless. It has been quite easy to spot the bad apples but not easy to prevent it from happening again. I don't want our customer to receive false infos. It's bad for you and it's bad for us. I think about reopening the forum every day but it would only move the workload from the ticket system/email to the forum. It's not something that can live uncontrolled.
Whatever, it seems the current situation is your customers are left with outdated or incomplete verslon[s] of ecu studio.
I would strongly reconsider opening a forum, or focus on the ticket system. In the end it saves you from answering the same questions 10 times by email...

I would not call it mature software, it lacks features like a auto updater and or version control.

So far my cents, but also tons of kudo's to ECU Studio for creating this package and made it availabe to us!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Thanks for hopping in
I don't usually do as in the past someone complained it was not a fair usage of the forum...

Quote:
Good, but as to date my ECU Studio [v2.3] does not have ANY of the "question mark" boxes filled. So i assume updates are available but they never come to the end user? How can we know updates exist? What prevents you from having accurate help files available on the website?

After flashing your ROM my bike had a terrible lack of power....took me some time to figure out this was caused by the exhaust valve not opening. Enabeling trough the software did not work[ it still does not] leaving me the cables disconnected and having the valve opened manually. Quite a serious issue because i made several testdrives with the bike exposed to extreme exhaust temparatures due a closed valve. Thankfully no permanent damage occured....

Yes I remember but that's not one of our features. Every MV "race map" disables the ex.valve. Our feature is to reenable it but it's something we've never been asked before you. You said earlier you gave up with ECU Studio, sorry about that but it was 2 years ago (less than 1 year after I started selling it for MV). We are in 2017 discussing bugs/lacks of features of 2015, that doesn't seem fair to me.

Quote:
I read many positive feedback about MV's latest software releases. Especially in therms of drivability. Updates -even minor- should be made available for everyone. Personally i would be willing to pay for that.
Yes, I also read a lot of enthusiastic reviews about cheap boxes to tweak the air temperature sensor....
ECU Studio is made to tune the ECU, not to just push maps in it. If MV releases an updated calibration I define it "No new features" because I think, maybe I'm wrong, that every ECU Studio user already has his own ECU tuned for his bike so any other calibration would be a step back, not forward.
Despite that we provide updates for free and we always did. If you look at updates history in MV you can see that it has been quite a long time before this update and the previous one and that's what you are calling "no update".
It's kinda complicated to explain the work involved in putting in a new ROM file. Maybe you're assuming our firmwares are stock and THEY ARE NOT. Every time MV releases an update I have to begin the work again and again. I was about to put out a whole new firmware with lots of improvements and BANG, MV released an update so back to square one. Reverse engineer the whole firmware, apply my patch, check if everything works (or is it something I should let people on the forum do?) and release it. It doesn't take 5 minutes.

Quote:
Whatever, it seems the current situation is your customers are left with outdated or incomplete verslon[s] of ecu studio.
I would strongly reconsider opening a forum, or focus on the ticket system. In the end it saves you from answering the same questions 10 times by email...

I would not call it mature software, it lacks features like a auto updater and or version control.

So far my cents, but also tons of kudo's to ECU Studio for creating this package and made it availabe to us!
The auto updater is there, just hidden if there are no major updates. Maybe ECU Studio is so good you are not even bothered with a pop up window saying "Hey, checking updates, ops no updates"....
Latest version of the SW is 2.5 but the only updates are about the new interface. I can send it to everybody with the old interface but they would not spot any difference and, again, call it a lack of updates.

I think, but it is my opinion, it's easier to send an email and ask than to complain for two years on a forum. It may sound easier, but it surely gets you nowhere.
There are three persons here answering email, if 90% are from me is because I prefer it this way.

All summed up I think we are doing a good job.
If someone thinks to have been left behind he can just send an email, we are all humans, mistakes happen but we are here to solve them and apologise if it's our fault.

Cheerios.

p.s. please keep in mind I'm not a native English speaker so if my reply sounds "harsh" at some point I apologise but it's just a grammar limit.
Nicklemouse and Nicklemouse like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 03:48 AM

Apologies for asking what may appear to be a stupid question but if I have a 2015 F4 (not RR) and I buy ECU Studio and the sensor I will be able to:

- enable the quickshifter for up and down shifts? Both road pattern and race pattern?
- enable auto blip on downshifts
- apply different fuel maps

Thanks

P
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
Apologies for asking what may appear to be a stupid question but if I have a 2015 F4 (not RR) and I buy ECU Studio and the sensor I will be able to:

- enable the quickshifter for up and down shifts? Both road pattern and race pattern?
- enable auto blip on downshifts
- apply different fuel maps

Thanks

P
Yes, all of them plus data logging and every other parameter in the ECU.
It's what ECU Studio is meant for.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode