Factory exhaust modification - Page 3 - MVAgusta.net
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 07:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to silentservice703 Send a message via Yahoo to silentservice703 Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
What I am saying is that these bikes are notoriously lean from the factory. As a qualifier, I do not have a TV (I do want one) and I am not as familiar with its engine management as I am with the first gen MVs. That being said, freeing up air flow through your machine to the extent this appear to will lean out your A/F ratio more and may be detrimental to your engine in the form of higher cylinder temps. Aftermarket exhaust system developed by companies have a liability to the consumer to have done some sort of research to ensure destruction of their machine doesn't occur.

This is seat-of-the-pants. I applaud that; BUT, I would have my A/F ratio checked before embarking on any extended run with this mod. I'm a conservative bastard when it comes to the possibility of buggering up an expensive engine.

@theknurl: Noel might pop in here and give his views.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 08:11 AM

See how it performs and then decide on the tuning. May not need anything. Not sure who designed the stock exhaust but that is the most ridiculous design I have ever seen. A flat plate with 2 holes!!??
Duc-Mike likes this.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
What I am saying is that these bikes are notoriously lean from the factory. As a qualifier, I do not have a TV (I do want one) and I am not as familiar with its engine management as I am with the first gen MVs. That being said, freeing up air flow through your machine to the extent this appear to will lean out your A/F ratio more and may be detrimental to your engine in the form of higher cylinder temps.

*Aftermarket exhaust system developed by companies have a liability to the consumer to have done some sort of research to ensure destruction of their machine doesn't occur.

This is seat-of-the-pants. I applaud that; BUT, I would have my A/F ratio checked before embarking on any extended run with this mod. I'm a conservative bastard when it comes to the possibility of buggering up an expensive engine.

@theknurl: Noel might pop in here and give his views.
* This is news to me.
My experience with after market exhaust systems is; they are designed to sell, with little regard to performance beyond making more noise.
In other words "caveat emptor."

2016 Turismo Veloce 800

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 11:31 AM

My experience with after market exhaust systems is; they are designed to sell, with little regard to performance beyond making more noise.

Most reputation aftermarket exhaust companies do hours of research and testing to ensure maximum performance is gained or else they won't be in business very long. Arrow and Termignoni are 2 that come to mind but even those systems will benefit from some tuning on the dyno once installed on a bike since every bike is different
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by number2 View Post

Most reputation aftermarket exhaust companies do hours of research and testing to ensure maximum performance is gained or else they won't be in business very long. Arrow and Termignoni are 2 that come to mind but even those systems will benefit from some tuning on the dyno once installed on a bike since every bike is different
I have yet to see a dyno sheet making a claim of increase by any manufacturer; however I have not looked real hard for them either. So they may be out there.

2016 Turismo Veloce 800

post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 03:16 PM
MrG
Established Member

The whole purpose of doing this mod was to free up up the sound of that lovely triple as the standard pipe really does kill the sound unless you are on full chat .. I was not after any performance gains as I am quite happy how the tv goes but part of me couldn't justify shedding out £1k just to have a nicer sound .. It does worry me that it could make it run too lean . I have had many bikes over the past 30 years and have swapped out standard cans for performance pipes and have never once had any of my bikes re mapped ...
I am also into air cooled 2 stroke scooters and do have a few tuned ones and so I do realise of the importance of having the a/f mixture right especially on these as they are quite prone to blowing up .
May I ask how many people who run the mv triple engine have had their bikes remapped after fitting a non standard exhausts ?..would be interesting to know ??
sarje88, sarje88 and Duc-Mike like this.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post
The whole purpose of doing this mod was to free up up the sound of that lovely triple as the standard pipe really does kill the sound unless you are on full chat .. I was not after any performance gains as I am quite happy how the tv goes but part of me couldn't justify shedding out £1k just to have a nicer sound .. It does worry me that it could make it run too lean . I have had many bikes over the past 30 years and have swapped out standard cans for performance pipes and have never once had any of my bikes re mapped ...
I am also into air cooled 2 stroke scooters and do have a few tuned ones and so I do realise of the importance of having the a/f mixture right especially on these as they are quite prone to blowing up .
May I ask how many people who run the mv triple engine have had their bikes remapped after fitting a non standard exhausts ?..would be interesting to know ??
Understood, you and I ARE on the same page, with regard to opening the can and removing (reconfiguring) its innards.
I would do the same thing, if I can get a hold of a stock can (in good shape) for a cheap price.

I did a similar muffler mod on my last bike.
Which resulted in desirable sound pressure and tone.
But at the expense of low to mid range torque.
MrG and MrG like this.

2016 Turismo Veloce 800

post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 06:10 PM
MrG
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
Understood, you and I ARE on the same page, with regard to opening the can and removing (reconfiguring) its innards.
I would do the same thing, if I can get a hold of a stock can (in good shape) for a cheap price.

I did a similar muffler mod on my last bike.
Which resulted in desirable sound pressure and tone.
But at the expense of low to mid range torque.
There just seems to be no 2nd hand stock exhausts anywhere !!..I did buy a stock virtually brand new dragster rr exhaust for a bargain but it is slightly different in a few ways ..what a waste ..so I took the plunge I cut up my own
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post
There just seems to be no 2nd hand stock exhausts anywhere !!..I did buy a stock virtually brand new dragster rr exhaust for a bargain but it is slightly different in a few ways ..what a waste ..so I took the plunge I cut up my own
I don't like to make mods to my bike that can't be reversed... just in case.
Also, IMO, it helps when selling the bike for it to be 100% stock.
MrG and MrG like this.

2016 Turismo Veloce 800

post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 01:17 PM
MrG
Established Member

Exhaust now painted and back on bike .. I have been for a quick spin and I'm well pleased ..It's not too noisy ,just a bit deeper on tick over ,it has a nice little burble on over run and on full throttle it only marginally louder than normal .. I am pleased as I was worried it was going to be too loud...so all good .. Next time I'm out I will strap my camera to my bike for a sound sample as today I only dived out in between the showers !!
Attached Images

Teeps, Teeps, NippyNelmo and 8 others like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode