Ride height adjustment - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Ride height adjustment

Ok, I'm starting to feel more comfortable with the suspension settings, (front compression and rebound and rear rebound only, forget the woman rear spring). Haven't dealt with rear compression setting for the simple fact that I can't find the "screw on the eyelet". Anyway, I have two unrelated questions:

1. My ride height is set all the way down in the rear. What will raising it 1/2" do to the flick factor. (Note: We were running the front forks a good 6-8mm up into the clamps and with the old 65 front tire, it felt kinda pushy and felt like it was going to vibrate and fold under. Now it's set to stock with a 3mm taller 70 front tire and riding great). The new 180 tire is about 5mm lower on the rear. Again, the setting is all the way down.

2. Something about the rear compression screw but in typing #1 I forgot #2. Welcome to California.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 11:55 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to altoon
if you raise the rear, you will take out trail and decrease the rake. the overall effect is to make it turn quicker, however you will be trading stability.

also, on heavy braking, you will have more problems with turn in. with the rear higher, the bike will pivot more weight to the front under hard braking, which compresses the front suspenion even more, reducing trail.

on corner exits, the increased ride height will help. again, with the rear up, you tend to keep the front end down on hard acceleration.

personally, i like to use the rear ride height only to adjust for variations in tire diameter. that is assuming that the static sag is set right.

alex
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon

personally, i like to use the rear ride height only to adjust for variations in tire diameter. that is assuming that the static sag is set right.

alex
Well, the rear 180 is smaller in diameter. For kicks, I tried a little raise in the rear and it DOES seem to dive a tad on braking. Certainly better for low speed turning. All ok with me. My sag is a bit too much (40mm?) until I get a new spring. It's cranked down within 1/8" to the bottom. Lowered the PP tire pressure from 33f/36r to 33f/33r with favorable results once I got used to the softer rear. Rear compression setting is next.

This bike just gets better and better with a little tweaking for my larger frame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 02:26 PM

A 180/55 is generally larger dia than a 190/50 and will have raised the rear unless you were using a 190/55.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmivvi
A 180/55 is generally larger dia than a 190/50 and will have raised the rear unless you were using a 190/55.
Yep, most people miss that one Mr Macmivvi, even the maths prove it, 50% of 190mm=95mm, 55% of 180mm=99mm, so (in theory) the rear of the bike will be 4mm higher with a 180 fitted, hence, this is also part of the reason people say they turn quicker with the 180................
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

My tire guy was careful to measure the diameters before and after install and it was a 5mm loss going to the 180 (so I must have had a 190/55?). Whatever was stock Pilot Sport. Keep in mind this is a swap from Sports to Powers too.

Last edited by HHester; 07-09-2006 at 02:51 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef4uk
Yep, most people miss that one Mr Macmivvi,..
Mike ,
My little legs never lie.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode