Marelli 5sm Tuning 2012/13 OBD Interface -- Solved;) - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Marelli 5sm Tuning 2012/13 OBD Interface -- Solved;)

Hello, Folks
After 4-months of work David at Rexxer and I have determined the correct harness for tuning 2012/13 5sm bikes with the under-seat OBD. In fact, we did not use the under seat connection for tuning. There is a single wire on the right side of the bike, under the tank, as shown in the owner's manual as the OBD, attached to a three-pin adapter which provides access to tuning. This is an odd configuration, as most bikes have 3-wires going to this adapter, which serves as the OBD. I know that this sounds odd, considering the can +/-, but it works perfectly. One wire for tuning connects to the Rexer harness, which has positive and negative leads for the battery terminal. Installed my new map today, reset tps and adaptives and bike runs great.
CB
Donsy and Donsy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 09:25 PM

Hey sorry about the basic questions but what bikes does this apply to? Are you accessing can data? Is this connection made with tuning hardware/software or a serial connection to a computer?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 03:55 AM

New Site Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelmill View Post
Hello, Folks
After 4-months of work David at Rexxer and I have determined the correct harness for tuning 2012/13 5sm bikes with the under-seat OBD. In fact, we did not use the under seat connection for tuning. There is a single wire on the right side of the bike, under the tank, as shown in the owner's manual as the OBD, attached to a three-pin adapter which provides access to tuning. This is an odd configuration, as most bikes have 3-wires going to this adapter, which serves as the OBD. I know that this sounds odd, considering the can +/-, but it works perfectly. One wire for tuning connects to the Rexer harness, which has positive and negative leads for the battery terminal. Installed my new map today, reset tps and adaptives and bike runs great.
CB
Ever thought of just getting a Microtec instead of all this hard work ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTrogg View Post
Hey sorry about the basic questions but what bikes does this apply to? Are you accessing can data? Is this connection made with tuning hardware/software or a serial connection to a computer?
It's for the bikes with the older 5SM Magnetti Marelli ECU.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Total cost was $600 from Rexer, which includes map and programming/diagnostics unit. I can check codes, reset tps and adaptives, and remap for mods or get dyno tuned at my local shop (using Rexer). Also able to switch back to the stock map, which is a nice feature. Hard work was finding the right interface wiring, which is misleading because it varied for a few years. I posted this to help folks who have the 4pin obd underseat and single can running to a three pin connector under the right front tank with the Marelli 5sm having throttle response issues looking for an inexpensive tuning solution
I am not affiliated with Rexer
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 10:04 PM

New Site Garage
Cool

Quote:
Total cost was $600 from Rexer, which includes map and programming/diagnostics unit. I can check codes, reset tps and adaptives, and remap for mods or get dyno tuned at my local shop (using Rexer). Also able to switch back to the stock map, which is a nice feature. Hard work was finding the right interface wiring, which is misleading because it varied for a few years. I posted this to help folks who have the 4pin obd underseat and single can running to a three pin connector under the right front tank with the Marelli 5sm having throttle response issues looking for an inexpensive tuning solution
I am not affiliated with Rexer
I did not say you where affiliated with Rexer mate, just wondering why you went the Rexer way and not Microtec ?

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 07:46 AM

Good work steelmill.

I have been working with the comms on my 2011 B4 10900rr and have managed to read the map from the ecu. I know the 2012 is different but do you have a copy of the map so i can do a comparison.
Also that wire is a K-line. I managed to get JPDiag which is a free Ducati diagnostic software to communicate with the MV using the K-line and a positive and negative connection the the OBD2 Socket.

Mike
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Sure.PM me
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Hi, Donsy
Sorry for the late reply. No reason really. Just looking for a solution and found Rexer. Had I known about Microtec, might have gone that route.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:40 PM

New Site Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Hi, Donsy
Sorry for the late reply. No reason really. Just looking for a solution and found Rexer. Had I known about Microtec, might have gone that route.
No problem mate, as usual I'm just very curious.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

I am new to MV, but not new to tuning cars -- STI and Evo. I decided against dyno because in my experience the most powerful pull does not always equal a balanced tune. I'm quite certain that a great tuner can do both, and it seems like there are a few on this forum, but we don't have anyone really spectacular in my area.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode