Microtec Dilemma....Any experts out there - MVAgusta.net
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Unhappy Microtec Dilemma....Any experts out there

So..... bought Henrik's Microtec for my 910R. Installed it last October and she started right up, ran OK.
Went for a quick short ride and seemed good to go.

I learned a few things like the neutral light stays on and I need a diode to turn it off, meter cycles every time starter button pressed, etc....and then the weather turned to crap...then work got in the way, and she went to sleep for a couple of months.
Finally had a nice day and went to exercise all my bikes (a little winter wake-up) and Gina would NOT start.
Engine would hit like it was about to, but never caught. Ran the battery low trying so put her back to sleep on the tender.

This weekend I woke her up to try again. Realized there wasn't much fuel in the tank and thought that must be it. Added 3 gallons of non-ethanol high test...hit the starter button...nothing. Not even an attempt to start.

So I put the MV Corse ECU back in, and she started immediately. Looked carefully at all the connections whilst doing the swap and saw nothing amiss.

So Randrew's Mona Lisa is sitting there (with a freshly installed set of race camshafts he had acquired ). We lift the seat, plug in my Microtec.....and it starts right up !! (wish the Brutale's ECM was that accessible)

So now I'm perturbed. I don't want to go through all that work to plug it back in until I understand what happened.

Any ideas out there?? Was Gina just mad at me for not paying attention to her for a few months? Was she mad that I made her the last bike to get exercised that day.

And before I reinstall the Microtec...does anyone have an up-to-date map for a 910R with MV Corse exhaust and BMC air cleaner?
Was hoping to get Chris (X-Bikes) to look at the one I have, but we all know the man is way busy, and I haven't heard back yet.

Looking for advice from the family.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)

Last edited by Donsy; 01-30-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 06:06 PM

New Site Garage
bump
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 06:56 PM

New Site Garage
Sent Ed an email - Have you guys got the software handy on a PC or Laptop @R1andrew ?

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 11:41 AM

New Site Garage
check camsensor connection.
and with putting back 5sm, you might have cleaned a connection, so when microtec is put back , big chance it will start.

Before taking it out you could have checked all signals by PC software!!

4,5Mg~3Al~2Ti~Fe

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Sent Ed an email - Have you guys got the software handy on a PC or Laptop @R1andrew ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb88xx View Post
check camsensor connection.
and with putting back 5sm, you might have cleaned a connection, so when microtec is put back , big chance it will start.

Before taking it out you could have checked all signals by PC software!!
I have a PC with the software....but I don't know what I'm doing !!!!
I need instruction!! I have the book (thanks Randrew) but need to spend time studying that I just haven't had (taken).
I did manage to set the TPS.

I figure it must have been a bad connection...but all there is are the 2 big locking plugs and a ground!!!

When I first installed it I played around with the software and looked at the installed maps and made copies of them. I wonder if I screwed up the maps at that time?
So I am going to go to that old shop PC and grab my folder with the maps and send it to Donsy for inspection.

Would love to get another good map from someone who has the same bike and set-up, just for comparative purposes.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 04:09 PM

Only non-starting issue I had with Microtec was when the map was too rich. Cleaned the Plugs with a wire brush and had the map leaned. Was Brutale 910 too.... Same symptoms you described, getting fuel and everything else, trying to catch when the starter cranking, but not quite getting it.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 05:28 PM

New Site Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
I have a PC with the software....but I don't know what I'm doing !!!!
I need instruction!! I have the book (thanks Randrew) but need to spend time studying that I just haven't had (taken).
I did manage to set the TPS.

I figure it must have been a bad connection...but all there is are the 2 big locking plugs and a ground!!!

When I first installed it I played around with the software and looked at the installed maps and made copies of them. I wonder if I screwed up the maps at that time?
So I am going to go to that old shop PC and grab my folder with the maps and send it to Donsy for inspection.

Would love to get another good map from someone who has the same bike and set-up, just for comparative purposes.
Maybe you should set up a Skype chat session Ed, I'm no expert but can talk you through the basics quite easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squibby View Post
Only non-starting issue I had with Microtec was when the map was too rich. Cleaned the Plugs with a wire brush and had the map leaned. Was Brutale 910 too.... Same symptoms you described, getting fuel and everything else, trying to catch when the starter cranking, but not quite getting it.
The bike ran fine before the problem popped up.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post

The bike ran fine before the problem popped up.

That's right. The takes a few miles for the spark plugs problem to manifest itself. I don't want to waste his time, but it might be worth popping out the plugs to inspect and giving them a good wire brushing just in case, it's not that big a job hey.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 02:18 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
That's right. The takes a few miles for the spark plugs problem to manifest itself. I don't want to waste his time, but it might be worth popping out the plugs to inspect and giving them a good wire brushing just in case, it's not that big a job hey.
I'll go with squibby. They don't like rich. They'll run lean and idle good but run on 3 when you try to ride. You didn't say how short the original ride was but I suspect not long enough to get a good feel. If you then played around with the maps I'll say it's a simple problem that's map related. Can't help there as mine's a 1078.

Cheers

Deano
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 02:20 AM

New Site Garage
Question

Quote:
I don't get it, explain to me how a bike runs fine, and Ed would have noticed if it was overly rich, to not wanting to start because of fouled plugs, only to starting instantly with nothing but a swap in ECU @squibby
The_castle and The_castle like this.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode