Cost? Available? 2008 Brutale 910R Wiring Harness - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Cost? Available? 2008 Brutale 910R Wiring Harness

Just wondering if anyone has a wiring harness for a 2008 Brutale 910R? Can't find one on ebay and the harness they do have for other F4s, prices are all over the place.

Thinking about relocating the ECU to the tail on mine.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 06:22 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I wonder if CAG still has one in his parts supply....but since he became an ammunition supplier he doesn't hang around here much anymore.
I know he still has a bunch of MV parts from his discontinued business of buying and breaking MVs.
You might try sending him a PM.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 10:09 AM

New Site Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsmen View Post
Just wondering if anyone has a wiring harness for a 2008 Brutale 910R? Can't find one on ebay and the harness they do have for other F4s, prices are all over the place.

Thinking about relocating the ECU to the tail on mine.

Thanks!
If you're u want to relocate the ECU to the tailpiece, then it would be best to get an F4 harness. I have no idea where you'd make it fitt though, and then you'd still have to splice into it the accomodate the SPU.
Why ?

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 10:32 AM
Big Randaddy

Carl might have one. I'll ask

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Here is my "why" novel Donsy...ha!
I'm using a Microtec M226 (installed at 12,000 miles). It has been a thermal idle-runaway (tuning) nightmare. About 5-10 minutes after start up, if I'm not doing 70 MPH, it start's its' run-away. Starts to get pretty bad on 75F-80F days.

Solution Attempt 1 (Professional Map Tuning):
Right after I got the new ECU installed, took the bike to two different local tuners with dyno's (both guys race) who where unable to properly tune despite having Microtec (for Ducati) experience. The bike is not the same beast it once was. No proper map, no proper idle set point (at 1,700 RPM per tuner two setting it). Tried to re-adjust, but always got too hot too fast.

Solution Attempt 2 (Insulation):
I made a thin metal CU heat shield with a silicon thermally insulating mat (robbed the kitchen!) and air gap between it and engine. That helped a little, killing some of the super extra high idles (2,600+ RPM), delayed the process by ~20 minutes depending how hot the day was, but once hot, stayed hot.

Solution Attempt 3 (Maintenance):
Took bike to very reputable local mechanic as bike had 18,000 miles at this point. Requested a bunch of mileage maintenance, including fuel filter replacement (I provided plus other parts). Was supposed to be two weeks. Seven weeks later, mechanic calls, says bike won't start, says doesn't have time to troubleshoot, asks me if the battery is charged (WTF!). He charges the weak battery, still won't start. Drops bike off at my place. I discovered the fuel line on the fuel filter had come off. I replaced filter and finish the rest of the maintenance. But this did not alter issue (but good to verify these weren't a cause).

Solution Attempt 4 (Add Fans):
Add a fan on one side that pushes air and a second fan opposite that pulls the air from in between engine and ECU. I added a timing control circuit that allows me to turn the fans on when I start up. Then when I shut the bike off, the fans still run for a pre-determined set time before shutting off. This is great if I run into a place for 30 min to an hour so that the engine heat hasn't saturated the ECU. Keeps air moving across ECU when stuck in traffic. Helped tiny amount.

Solution Attempt 5 (Remove Insulation):
Insulation causes a choke point for the air flow. When I went to remove the shield and mat to open gap/increase air flow, I found the ECU itself was hot despite being fairly thermally isolated with a "cool" engine (hmmmm!). Getting a little bit better. Very noticeable difference for frame temp (one side cold, one side hot to touch). This is definitely moving heat.

Solution Attempt 6 (Autotune):
Borrowed an Autotune Kit and started making my own maps, got idle properly adjusted without thermal influence. Between this and the fans, best combo. As long as moving, if idle creeps up a lot, it will come back down a little, but never to proper idle. I purchased my own Autotune Kit but have yet to use it as bike is in garage with that fuel tank fitting/line issue. I've purchased all the replacement parts. The CPC fittings were on a 2-3 week back order. This repair is still about 2 weeks out.

One issue with Autotune Solution, have what looks like decent map now, but mpg dropped from 33/34mpg to 22mpg. Then fuel line bit happened. Can't fully verify as this all happened at same time.

Moving forward....

Possible Solution 7A:
After fuel line fix, little map dial in, done???
BUT with her apart (for the 10th plus time), I don't want to do this wrenching anymore, I just want to ride, so:

Possible Solution 7B:
Purchase computer GPU/CPU cooling system and install. Currently at $600+ US in shopping cart (I'm adding peltiers and water blocks on both sides of ECU and radiator/reservoir/pump under rear wheel-well, voltage regulator and PWM (to limit peltiers' total/constant power draw) under passenger seat (which currently has the M163)). This solution has an ~11 amp current draw!

Possible Solution 7C:
For a little more that the above price, buy a new M226. Maybe this one has a manufacturing bug?

Possible Solution 7D:
Make wiring harness and relocate ECU under passenger seat.

Final Solution:
QUIT.
Put the stock cans back on, but keep TI headers, and put stock ECU back in. Sell M226+M163+TI cans (mabye keep TI cans and adjust trimmer pot on stock ECU?). Lose throttle response, killer M226 features, and idle issue, but get reliability and power back.

Last edited by marsmen; 09-03-2016 at 04:56 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 06:14 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

do this the easy way contact Chris Wells the MicroTec guy get the correct map

for your 910R

My '08 910R 32,500+ mi MicroTec M226, Arrow Thunder no dB Killer

idles ~1,200, fans come on at 86C, absolutely will NOT GO OVER 92C

only complaint..... neutral light glows a bit until in neutral then bright

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 07:48 PM

New Site Garage
What Noel said. Your problem is not the Microtec as a unit or where it's located, your problem is your tuning.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

I added the diode that shuts off the Neutral Light glow. It works. I recommend it.

I bought mine from him just shy of two years ago. The map he shipped it with was trashed the first day I installed the ECU as I took it to the first tuner to "adjust" that map to my bike. Per my request, they said they would save Chris's map as a backup but didn't. Chris is the one that loaned me an Autotune Kit as this has been a struggle. I'm currently awaiting the original map from him.

There's the Microtec Map that comes on the DVD. I've gone through it and manually mod'd some of the parameters. Have been nose deep in the manual and had a lot of fun with the Autotune. Will try it, and tuning it, when I fix fuel lines.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 05:39 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Wait a minute.....you said "trimmer pot" in the original ECU? That's not a 5SM then.....you have a 2008 Euro2 spec bike? Or an earlier model with 16M ECU?

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 05:48 AM

New Site Garage
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Wait a minute.....you said "trimmer pot" in the original ECU? That's not a 5SM then.....you have a 2008 Euro2 spec bike? Or an earlier model with 16M ECU?
He's got a M226 Microtec Ed, it has to be a 5SM replacement, I think this guy has gone adrift very badly.
Maybe he should start a NEW thread in the Performance section

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode