F3 675 Throttle or Fueling problem on Racetrack - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

F3 675 Throttle or Fueling problem on Racetrack

Hi All,

Loving the F3 675 very much, but every now and then I get surprised by it... I once had the engine hold back on me like some sort of "limp home mode" with the orange light on the dash coming on. These where just short blips of a few seconds, and then it would go again. The throttle would then just only respond with 50% power , and a bit of engine breaking would be noticeable. This was riding on mountain roads, nothing special that would cause it to react this way. Only one day.... Never happend again.

Now, yesterday I was at racetrack TT Assen and was enjoying the MV. I rode 4 seconds of my personal best time comparing it to my old bike SV650.

BUT!!! The F3 had ZERO throttle response coming out of the GT chicane (quick right/left hander) on the the start-finish straight! Costing me valuable lap time. I tried the chicane in 2nd and 3rd gear, same problem every single lap... I would open the throttle fully coming out of the chicane, and nothing happend, I would have to release the throttle and give it a second turning it fully open before it would actually go as expected.

Now, this might have to do with the quick move from right to left and fuel would not be picked up, but the engine didn't stutter or jerk, it would just not response to the gashandle on the first try, but on the second.

This did not happen on any other part of the track, but it was consistently every single lap...

Is there anybody able to tell me what this could be???

Here is a pic of the MV at the track:

Last edited by supermv675; 09-19-2016 at 07:57 AM. Reason: It's probably the TC...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 05:27 AM

Could it be the traction control kicking in?

Current:
2015 MV Agusta Brutale 800 Dragster RR
Previous:
2009 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
1992 Suzuki GSXR 750
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 06:11 AM

Is it the first generation throttle or is it the new throttle (came out in 2014)?

Sounds like a throttle grip issue, but the orange light on the dash could be your side stand switch...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Roughack, I hadden't thought of that yet. I would think it is unlikely because it would possibly have happend on other parts of the track as well. Also on my second turn of the throttle the bike would accelerate just as hard as the first try, because it also was from 0% to 100%, making the front wheel very light.
Traction control should limit the throttle response to keep the rear wheel from spinning, not numbing the throttle response to completely 0. But I'll mention it to the dealer when I bring it in for service.

The original throttle grip from 2012 is on my bike. Throttle response is fine around the rest of the track and out on the roads.

Orange light is indeed the same light as the side stand light. But is this not also a engine error light? I checked the side stand when this problem occurred, but saw no issues. Sidestand was firmly up and touching the side stand switch. Also I was driving for a couple of hours already before this problem occurred out of the blue.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 09:39 AM
Established Member

If you've had the TC kick in aggressively on the road, you'll realise it can feel quite a crude system on the F3 - it does just feel like it cuts the power.

And when I say on the road, just through "fooling" the system, such as hitting a catseye or a bump on the power with the TC above level 2 - it'll stumble for half a second or so. If I was on track, the delay would be enough that I'd feel the need to shut the throttle and grab another handful.

However, not sure if it is more subtle when experiencing slip on track, rather than a sudden loss of traction as when the wheel leaves the road over a sharp bump.

Out of interest, what TC level are you using? Tried with it off? I can't imagine on hot track tyres on good track tarmac, that you really *need* TC on a 675 on track...

2013 MV Agusta F3 675 EAS
2000 Kawasaki ZX7R
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

I think the TC is in highest possible setting (all the ring is full on the display).
Engine map was in sport ofcourse...

If the TC would really deaden the throttle response so much as you say, then it might as well be that... But I find it really strange that on a second handful of gas it would go as the little rocket that it is supposed to be!?!

Did not try another setting with the TC yet...
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 10:48 AM
Established Member

Wind it back man - even on 4 out of 8, I find it hauling back the power on the road when it doesn't need to (sharp bumps, catseyes, etc). Like it's run out of fuel, cutting the power. No idea how it would feel on 8.

When you shut the throttle, it takes it out of the TC loop, then open again and the conditions have changed enough that it won't kick in - suspension has settled, bike is more upright, etc, etc.

Try it on 2.

2013 MV Agusta F3 675 EAS
2000 Kawasaki ZX7R
The Following User Says Thank You to Shug For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 12:17 PM

Definitely traction control! Level 8 is WAY too high. Depending how aggressive and experienced a rider you are, I don't see anyone wanting more than level 4 on the track. I ride with level 1 or no traction control at all.

MV's 1st generation traction control is rather rudimentary and it was designed more as a safety control for street riding, than a rider aid on the track. So for very fast track riders, it is not very useful.
The Following User Says Thank You to crash2much For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 01:19 PM

I keep mine on 1 at the track on the F3 800. It still kicks in coming out of turns and you can actually hear it in my playback videos but it is subtle and almost sounds like the bike is slipping slightly and cutting power by very little. I run slicks and warmers at the track but usually keep the tc on 1. On the street I usually put it at 3 to keep myself in check.

Cheers, Jon-Michael

2014 F3 800 EAS
2013 F3 675 EAS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to 99sitr For This Useful Post:
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 04:27 PM

just wondering, is the chicane at Assen downhill at all?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode