Time for a Microtec - Page 3 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks again for the responses everyone.

Looks like those tubes were to spread the airflow across all four intakes and/or deaden noise...
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...t=50500&page=1

I guess the last couple questions I have are:

1. Do I really need to buy a stock airbox or can I continue to use this one assuming I get a dyno run and/or get a Microtec? I see one used on ebay for $89.95.

2. Either way - sounds like I have these options:

a) Get the bike remapped at Rob's Dyno - could be a long wait..Hopefully will find out tomorrow. Also could drop Chucks 1090RR map on there with a reflash, but I'd almost rather just do a complete dyno run if I'm going to be working with Rob.
b) Buy a Microtec (also gets me quickshifter). This would also allow me to reinstall the original cans if I swap-in a different midpipe. Im not completely sure I'm happy with how loud the Arrow system is - even with the dbkiller installed. Nice to be able to remap on my own using Chris' maps. I do understand that they will not be as dead accurate as a dyno run, but I'm ok if it gets me 90% there.
c) Do both - if the assortment of maps Chris would send me aren't adequate (assuming Rob can map using the Microtec software). This would be pretty expensive, but only necessary if I wasn't happy with the maps supplied by Chris and needed them dialed in.
d) Sell the bike and find something stock. I'd lose money and really don't want to sell the bike.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by killcity; 07-10-2016 at 05:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

I finally said "f**k it" and scheduled an appt with Rob's Dyno. It's not until September 12th, but I'm hoping this will finally put this whole thing to rest. I'm also buying a stock airbox off ebay so by the time I bring it to him, it will be a little more "sane" without anyone's "performance tweaks".

I really would still dig a quickshifter, but at this point, I just want the bike running correctly and will deal with that later.
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 08:01 PM

Where are you located? I may send my 1090RR ecu up to Rob as well. I'd like to just go see him and get it and the Senna done at the same time... but the FL to MA trip is a long one that I have not planned yet. My 2012 has a PCV on it, and it seems ok, besides lots of popping on hard decel, which leads me to believe it may still be lean.

"When you cannot ride de bike, you are very quiet at home in de sofa." -Rossi
I'm Curtis...
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For used MV parts, look up my ebay user ID; "cbmx101"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 08:36 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Or rich on the overrun....unburned fuel igniting in the pipes...after fire!

Could be either....

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Or rich on the overrun....unburned fuel igniting in the pipes...after fire!

Could be either....
Agreed. Although the lack of black on the silencers that have always been in the exhaust until I bought it don't show a "rich" environment. They are pretty clean, as well as the clean end caps... although I'm sure George kept those clean.

"When you cannot ride de bike, you are very quiet at home in de sofa." -Rossi
I'm Curtis...
Email:

Facebook:

For used MV parts, look up my ebay user ID; "cbmx101"
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 09:15 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Yeah..lean misfire can cause incomplete combustion and after fire on decel as well. It can even dry foul spark plugs.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 07:07 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
When you guys are inthe neighborhood, you'll have to let me know. If I can, I'll come down to Rob's...If you can, come stay here for a night or two!

Gapalicious 2020 at
from TENTATIVELYSept. 30-OCT.4, 2020

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 11:27 AM

I purchased my Microtec M226 from X-Bikes shy of 2 years ago. I was super nervous about the purchase (especially form someone on the other side of the planet). Chris and Louise have been really good to work with, super knowledgeable. It is a great way to go. It totally fixed the low RPM twitchy throttle response issue.

After getting my M226, I took my bike to two different guys for tuning, locally to me. Both own dynos, both race bikes, both had worked with other Microtec Models before. Neither one could properly tune my bike. It was a nightmare.

I'm currently using a borrowed Microtec M163 for auto-tuning. Ironically, I just found the maps Chris sent with the controller (yeah, I feel like a real knob for not noticing earlier!). Amazingly, my current auto-tune map, 3D image, looks similar to his. Which is a super good thing.

I'VE HAD SOOOOOO MUCH FUN MAKING MY OWN MAPS in the last two weeks. I even purchased my own M163 (used) due to arrive in the next week.

I use my stock air box, BMC high flow air filter, and full MV Corse TI exhaust. (2008 Brutale 910R)

There is a weird thermal issue on this controller, which I think I've mostly fixed.

Only thing I wish....I wish I knew what the stock ECU map looked like. What AFRs in which TPS/RPM cells. As much fun as I'm having making my own, I would love to just have the stock one back. It would also be cool to know things like the values for the ignition/advance per the correlation by Velocity/Acceleration. (my next adventure is messing with those)

But as familiar as I am now with the software and mapping, to completely customize a map....on my own.....SUPER EXCITED!!!! (all credit goes to X-Bikes for the support and encouragement!)

Last edited by marsmen; 07-20-2016 at 11:51 AM.
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 02:48 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsmen View Post

I use my stock air box, BMC high flow air filter, and full MV Corse TI exhaust. (2008 Brutale 910R)

There is a weird thermal issue on this controller, which I think I've mostly fixed.
the M226? How you notice?

4,5Mg~3Al~2Ti~Fe

post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsmen View Post
I purchased my Microtec M226 from X-Bikes shy of 2 years ago. I was super nervous about the purchase (especially form someone on the other side of the planet). Chris and Louise have been really good to work with, super knowledgeable. It is a great way to go. It totally fixed the low RPM twitchy throttle response issue.

After getting my M226, I took my bike to two different guys for tuning, locally to me. Both own dynos, both race bikes, both had worked with other Microtec Models before. Neither one could properly tune my bike. It was a nightmare.

I'm currently using a borrowed Microtec M163 for auto-tuning. Ironically, I just found the maps Chris sent with the controller (yeah, I feel like a real knob for not noticing earlier!). Amazingly, my current auto-tune map, 3D image, looks similar to his. Which is a super good thing.

I'VE HAD SOOOOOO MUCH FUN MAKING MY OWN MAPS in the last two weeks. I even purchased my own M163 (used) due to arrive in the next week.

Only thing I wish....I wish I knew what the stock ECU map looked like. What AFRs in which TPS/RPM cells. As much fun as I'm having making my own, I would love to just have the stock one back. It would also be cool to know things like the values for the ignition/advance per the correlation by Velocity/Acceleration. (my next adventure is messing with those)

But as familiar as I am now with the software and mapping, to completely customize a map....on my own.....SUPER EXCITED!!!! (all credit goes to X-Bikes for the support and encouragement!)

Glad you mentioned this because I ordered an M226 too. That said, I still have a dyno run (Rob's Dyno) scheduled for mid - Sept, which I may or may not keep depending on how well I get the bike running. I also just installed a stock airbox and stock filter in an effort to revert back to a known configuration. Took the bike for a ride earlier and it felt smoother. Either way, after having a Tuneboy on my Diavel, I like having an ECU I can remap myself and not have to take it to a tuner every time and shell out hundreds of dollars.

I spoke to Chris @ X-Bikes about a week ago on the phone for 45 minutes before I decided to pull the trigger. Can't say enough about how helpful and enjoyable my discussion with him was.

Between you and him, now I know who to bug when I'm tuning this thing.

Last edited by killcity; 07-20-2016 at 05:10 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode