B3 800 Stock Exhaust "Cat" removed. Now poor fuel economy. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Angry B3 800 Stock Exhaust "Cat" removed. Now poor fuel economy.

My dealership removed the stock catalyst converter from my stock exhaust system. My fuel consumption has gone up significantly. Before removal of the Cat I got 200km's on a tank of fuel, now it's dropped down to 175km per tank. 16.5 liter tank. According to the dealership it was not needed to flash ECU as it will automatically adjust the fuel richness to what it should be. This does not seem normal, is it?

And I was like braap until the warning lights came on...
- Brutale 800 EAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 05:45 AM

New Site Garage
Removing anything from an exhaust system could warrant a tune, sometimes you're lucky but in general it's best to retune, not just flash the ECU. Did you just remove the cat or did you do the muffler box too ?

In most cases the ECU can only adapt to a small percentage variation when picked up by the Lambda sensor.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

I tend to agree with you on the tuning, and I did ask the "approved" mv agusta technician whether or not it is necessary to tune it in again. He said the electronics of the bike does it automatically. Just the cat was removed, not the muffler box. According to them, removing the muffler box will void warranty. How would I go about tuning it in again?

- Brutale 800 EAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 06:37 AM

New Site Garage
How did they remove the cat, isn't it part of the headers ?

Current steed - MY16 Dragster RR
Previous Bike - 2008 Triumph Street Triple
Scottish and living it up in South East Spain
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

They removed the triple pipes from the header, they then proceeded to cut open the where the cat lies, literally scraped and cleaned the cat out, then welding it close again. Here is a link from a guy that did it, it was exactly the same method used. Click on the link, then scroll down to the bottom of the page, there he give a description with pictures on how it's done. http://blog.daviddemartini.com/archives/5004

- Brutale 800 EAS
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 12:04 PM

Fuel consumption is irrelevant - does it sound any better?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 02:34 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
So, cutting open the exhaust and gutting the cat doesn't void the warranty, but removing the box would? Balderdash!

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 12:54 AM

What other things have they done? Service? Map update?

The whole Lambda story is misunderstood by most people. They the think it measures exactly how rich/lean the engine is running. It doesn't because it's a narrow band sensor. In theory it could measure but in practice it's actually a binary sensor. Rich or lean, high or low, 1 or 0. Look for a picture of a narrow band Lambda sensors range and you'll see. (There are wide band sensors but not used in the industry from what i know)

There is a whole lot more about ECU's and the way they adjust mixture. Not enough time to write about it. I've been experimenting with them by hooking them up to a computer. I could then see when the Lambda sensor had an effect and when not. That allowed me to sift through the true and false stories on the Internet.

There might be a way for the ECU to adjust the mixture when running idle for a few minutes. It's just theory but it could adjust the CO trim. If the Lambda would say it's running rich/lean for a long period of time one could say it's running rich/lean and the CO trim could automatically be adjusted until the sensor would shuffle between lean/rich.
If your sensor was knocked about it could give a false reading and made your bike run rich. (In theory)

You should as has been told hook it up to a dyno. It will probably run rich as you think. Then a dealership should be able to adjust CO trim. It will make the bike run richer/leaner across the entire rev range.

But there is a chance that something else is going on if they did other things to the bike.
Good luck.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 12:30 AM
Established Member

Your ECU must be the smartest one ever fitted to a production bike.
I'd be looking for a new and not lazy technician.

My Current Bikes
2014 VFR1200F ~ How Fast Do You Want To Tour?
2013 B3 800 ~ Naked Foolishness!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Fuel consumption is irrelevant - does it sound any better?
Yes it sounds better, but I'd say it is not worth this trouble at all. And btw yes fuel consumption is relevant especially when it falls with 25km less on a tank.

- Brutale 800 EAS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode