Modifying older bikes and parts availablity - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Modifying older bikes and parts availablity

I have been in the process of Andrewing my bike and have discovered some interesting observations.

Parts for older MVs are becoming scarce so if you have parts keep them in case you or another forum member needs them.

Custom parts vary greatly in availability and quality. I have ordered many different carbon parts from 3-4 sources. Some parts are great quality and fit well for the most part. Some parts are good quality and don't fit very well and other parts just don't fit. The people who sell the parts have provided great customer service and provided replacement parts or refunds, but one problem is the lack of replacement parts if you receive one that doesn't fit. I ordered a nose fairing and it did not fit properly and the seller said they would not be able to provide another part, but they gave me a full refund. I found another one from Carbonvani which was more expensive and ordered it.

I received a carbon air box after waiting 40 days for them to make it and it fit but just barely. The nuts for the mounting screws were the wrong size (8mm instead of 6mm) so I had to drill out the plates the screw goes through and the holes where the 2 air sensors mount next to the air filter hole are not there so I will have to drill them out.

I waited 6 months for the aluminum tank and when it arrived it did not come close to fitting properly. So now I am waiting to hear from Japan about a replacement.

So, if you plan on customizing your older bike be prepared to do a lot of research and plan on some frustration. The best price is not always the best part so if you can afford the money go with the higher price which most of the time means higher quality, but not always. Lastly buy Italian parts if possible since they are usually the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 06:18 PM

New Site Garage
Andrewing

When doing this work to our generation of bikes. It is a marathon and not a sprint. That is what I keep telling myself.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

well put. Nothing easy about upgrading these bikes. You to give it to the designers and workers who make the parts and make them fit from factory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 07:00 PM

I am not "Andrewing" my F4... although I will take full credit for that word... lol. The show is officially called "Andrew My Ride", and it will air on the Speed Channel this fall... so stay tuned...

In all seriousness, I have found the same thing. If you have taken a look at any quality aftermarket parts dealer, say for example Design Corse, and look at what they had available for a first gen F4 compared to what they have now, it's probably half. So you are spot on. Combine that with not being able to get oem parts from the dealer during all of the company BS, and right now is a hard time for parts all around. That said, I am grateful for the forum community and friends that I have made through it. LOTS of things would not be happening without it.

"When you cannot ride de bike, you are very quiet at home in de sofa." -Rossi
I'm Curtis...
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For used MV parts, look up my ebay user ID; "cbmx101"
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

well it happened again. Ordered a set of carbon mirrors from a Chinese company and guess what. One of them is molded wrong so now I have to get another mirror or a refund. What a pain in the ass trying to get the correct parts fo the F4
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 08:06 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by number2 View Post
well it happened again. Ordered a set of carbon mirrors from a Chinese company and guess what. One of them is molded wrong so now I have to get another mirror or a refund. What a pain in the ass trying to get the correct parts fo the F4
George;

Why are you buying chink shit?.......

I use CRG mirrors on 3 bikes .......with no issues

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
George;

Why are you buying chink shit?.......

I use CRG mirrors on 3 bikes .......with no issues

Probably not a good term to use, but to your point; I wanted carbon mirrors and no one else makes them. I know Arthur has bought them with good luck
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 10:28 PM

That stinks George. I got mine off eBay on a price error a few years ago and other than having to sand the inner guide a bit for the mirror to slide in, mine are perfect. I asked him to send me more sets but he didn't want to honor the price I paid for the other ones. I'm sorry yours weren't good.

2009 F4 RR 1078 312
2005 F4 Tamboweenie
2005 F4 1000S
1999 Aprilia RS50
1996 Ducati 916
1959 MV Agusta TREL 125 Centomila

PAST - 2013 F4RR, 2008 F4 312R, 2005 F4 1000S, 1999 F4 750 S
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 10:38 PM

At least you can get a replacement. I bought a frame off eBay and it arrived dented with rash.

2009 F4 RR 1078 312
2005 F4 Tamboweenie
2005 F4 1000S
1999 Aprilia RS50
1996 Ducati 916
1959 MV Agusta TREL 125 Centomila

PAST - 2013 F4RR, 2008 F4 312R, 2005 F4 1000S, 1999 F4 750 S
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

He is going to send a replacement and until it arrives I will use the stock mirrors after they are painted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode