MV Agusta Forum banner

Muffler

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Jono 
#1 ·
Hey guys , I was thinking Of gutting out my muffler since it's hard to get a hold of qd exhausts and other brands here .Any experience here ? Anybody ? A member once told me it might affect the idling , or the way the box would miss read it and go limp mode . Help . :stickpoke

#2 ·
If you are prone to listening to "a member" and following whatever advice is profferred, here is my advice:

Leave it alone as you don't have the technical knowledge needed to do anything but harm to the running of your machine.

If you do not have access to a dyno tuner, then you will probably end up worse than you are for reasons you apparently don't have the technical background to understand.

You have asked this question in another thread and gotten sound advice there.

#3 ·
If the worst comes to the worst and it really fubars everything its not as though you can't find another one on eBay. Or get a used one, mess about with that and you still have the original. Seeing as how people are using aftermarket ones that are virtually straight through and don't report huge problems I don't see how it can hurt. I suspect that the stock silencer is one of those things that whatever you do with it you can't make it worse.......

#6 ·
All of that is well and good, but there is a bigger picture to consider.

A free flowing exhaust without a proper tuning afterwards will certainly make the motor run too lean. The owner needs to be able to diagnose this condition.

I think most who modified their stock exhaust or bought an engineered piece (aftermarket) done some sort of tuning afterward .

A lean engine runs nice and crisp, yet is detonating. And detonation will destroy your engine at some point. That is the ultimate harm done.

Nobody is saying don't do it, just know your own competency . There's a little more to it than attacking a pipe with a hack saw and a drill.

It takes many man hours, by a highly educated team of people and millions of dollars to develop the motorcycles we have. And after all that development there is sometimes a fault here and there. But overall, you get a good product. I often ask myself, when I attempt a modification if I'm actually improving this and if I'm smarter than the team of engineers who built this . Sometimes the answer is yes , sometimes it's no.

#7 ·
Hmmmmm. Almost every aftermarket exhaust available for the 800 says 'no other engine modifications needed.'

I agree that it isn't simple to make an exhaust that offers reasonable performance and is compliant with all the stupid regs. I doubt you'll get any more performance by messing with the stock item but I doubt you'll kill performance either. And it might sound awesome. Or at least better.

#9 ·
Generally not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.