Changing tire size...65 to a 70 series? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to oicdn Send a message via Yahoo to oicdn
Changing tire size...65 to a 70 series?

Just curious if anybody has switched to a 70 series front tire? Is there any fender rub or anything else that needs to be done?

Aside from being easier to get, I would think the contact patch is slightly larger, so why wouldn't you want a 70 up front?

How about the 190/55 in the rear for the sake of contact patch? Would it even fit on the Brutale seeing as how the exhaust comes so close to the tire?

I need new tires here soon and I see some dece packages online for 190/50 and 120/70 sets...

Nate
Brutale S
Previously CLE #333 (hee hee, it rhymes!)
Buy some clothes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 06:42 PM

Used a 70 on my F4 and it rubbed very slightly on the plastic rad guard on trackdays only, and felt much more "planted" ... recomened mod....
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 09:46 PM

I've run 70's for the past few years. I cut out a small "bridge" out of Alum.

Although there is enough room for the tire without the bridge...every rock in the world grinds your front fender.

Here's what I did. Simple to make. Use only on the front connections to the fender. No problem with the rear.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

So when you say bridge, are the holes 1/2 inch apart? I guess I'm not quite getting what is done...a pic of your set-up would be nice though....

Nate
Brutale S
Buy some clothes:

Quote:
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 02:24 AM

Yes a pic of that would be great to see. I would like to do the same.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 03:00 AM

IMHO a 70 is much better, mine with the 65 would howl the front tyre on corner entry if I was slightly too quick, the 70 is better in this respect.

You need to ask the question "which will fit" under the std mudguard, there was a list of these on I think the old MV agusta f4 board, which has now gone. A Pirelli Diablo will fit, I don't think Dunlops will though
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

^ I know Michelins will, I remember seeing that thread somewhere. I can't remember is Pilot Powers will though.

Eitherway, that little spacer/bridge thing would help eitherway...

Nate
Brutale S
Buy some clothes:

Quote:
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 01:37 PM

Here is some info i got off the yahoo site.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005
Tire selection and fitment for 120/65 and 120/70
Thank you to: Mike Tiltson, Andy Ruhl, et al

Although it was officially suggested that no 120/70/17 tires be fitted to 750cc models, which came standard with hard to find 120/65/17 rubber, the factory chose to increase rake by .5deg on the 1000cc to allow for more commercial tire selection by owners. The reasoning behind this size restriction is contact of the front tire to the radiator(s) under heavy braking or bumps causing damage. Owners have found however that there are a few safe choices to be had in the easy to find and popularly sized 120/70/17 size while others prefer to stay with the original 120/65/17 - pick your poison, so to speak.

RED = Track focused

Here are 120/70 tires known to fit F4 750:
Dunlop D208GP
Metzeler Rennsport
Metzeler Racetech
Michelin Pilot Power **NOTE for Brutale only, contacts front fender - use 120/65 or spacer
Pirelli Supercorsa
Pirelli Diablo
Pirelli Diablo Corsa

Here are 120/70 tires known to NOT fit F4 750:
Michelin Pilot Sport
Dunlop D207RR
Continental Attack

Tires that are known to come in a 120/65 size:
Dunlop D207RR (no longer available - NLA)
Michelin Pilot Sport (NLA)
Michelin Pilot Power
Pirelli Dragon Corsa (NLA)
Pirelli Diablo Corsa
Dunlop D207ZR
Bridgestone BT010
Bridgestone BT019
Metzeler Sportec M-1

Important with the above considerations are the actual tire size vs the sidewall number. Not all 120/65 or 120/70 tires are the same actual size in mm. One method is to measure the actual height change from your old/current setting first, from axle to ground for example, then measure the new tire's actual height from the same location once installed. Make suspension changes as appropriate; for example moving from a 120/65 tire to a taller (in actual mm) 120/70 may require you drop the front height by a corresponding number of mm. Balance the rear ride height to accommodate the front's change to maintain proper geometry.

Last edited by Makomoto; 05-30-2006 at 01:42 PM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 04:40 PM

The source of that is here:

http://mvfaq.blogspot.com/2005/09/ti...for-12065.html

Much of that info, as is often the case, came from yahoo and some from mvf4 or my tech specs research when writing it. Many of us tried to keep track of ACTUAL diameter of the tires for a while but I think we have a pretty good list of what works at this point.

This doesn't answer the question of 'which is better' and that was intentional. Give them a try to find out for yourself I guess is the best answer, Nate. Brutale's are a bit more flexible with regard to fit so you are in better shape there. What isn't the same is 'feel'. It seems many people prefer the feel of the /70.

JamesC

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

There it is...I knew I saw those somewhere.

Of course, for the Pilots (the tires I wanted) the 70 doesn't fit on the Brutale (without a spacer) like every other tire does

Nate
Brutale S
Buy some clothes:

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode