Quick Shifter - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Quick Shifter

Anybody fitted a quick shifter? If so what make? Any problem with electronics? So on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 09:56 AM

Nope, can't help you Jorge as i never had one and don't know much about them.

BTW how was your track day at Kayalami ?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Talking

Got to the track at 7:00am. It was raining and tempratures near 0. Only got on the track at about 10am. Wet and very sleppery. Saw 2 guy crash out right in front of me. Later at about 2pm I managed to get 20min on a dry line track. It was great. Did some really good times. At 3pm it started to hail. Besides the weather it was great. Looking forward to the next one. Also going to phakisa in two weeks.
Thanks for asking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 12:01 PM

Ah yeah, don't even talk about rain.
It's been following me the last times i went to the track
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 10:09 PM

Added a Dynojet quick shifter to the SPR, and Reopropf used to have one on his AGO. We were both lazy bastards and let the dealer install them (as the dealer was mapping the PowerCommanders for us at the same time).

http://www.powercommander.com/quickshift.shtml

Of course, I love it as I'm a gadget guy. It took a little getting used to at first, particualrly when you realize you're best served to keep the throttle PINNED when shifting. Or, at least, you don't roll off if you want to continue the acceleration. It's a little counter-intuitive when you're used to "real" shifting. You have to get your brain and wrist around the idea that they're not to do anything when using the quick shifter.

You can also set a "floor" rev limit under which the quick shifter won't actuate the engine cutout. So, I set it somewhere around 4k RPM, ensuring I don't accidentally shift at low speed or low RPM's.

Where it really shines is on the track. Sometimes I use the clutch in quick up/down areas, but when you turn onto the straightaway... man, you get to hold on for dear life. Grip the grips, get down low, and let your big toe do all the work. No over-revving. No getting angry that you cluched out too slow and lost a bit of ground to some jerk on a Tamburini. None of that -- you just go fast, then instantly faster, then instantly fastest.

Sure, I used to shift sans-clutch anyway, but you'd typically have to roll off just a bit to try to more closely match engine speed and all... the quick shifter takes that calculation out of the picture.

Okay, the purists will argue that the art of biking is in knowing how to shift sans-clutch, or in massaging the friction zone of the clutch when coming out of a corner. All true - those are great arts.

But I'm a lazy SOB at heart... and every time I'm on the streets and can shift without moving my left hand back to the bar, I smile just a bit wider.

And if I want to get artistic and old school, I just ignore the quick-shifter and use the clutch as any normal human.

I can't give you much advice on the installation, but I'm glad to post or send close-ups if it helps your planning.

Last edited by tclinton; 05-25-2006 at 10:14 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for all the info. Really helps. If you can post some pic's it would be nice. Do you know if it damages anything in the long run?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 09:36 AM

LOVED it on AGO. Probably unnecessary on Tamburini. Am keeping Tam intact without mods. That jerk on his SPR is fast .
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 04:11 PM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reopropf
LOVED it on AGO. Probably unnecessary on Tamburini. Am keeping Tam intact without mods. That jerk on his SPR is fast .
Pull a plug cap off when he's not looking Peter!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john
Pull a plug cap off when he's not looking Peter!!
Reminds of mt. biking back in the day, we used to put water in our friends tires to slow them down

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode