Engine Stalls - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Engine Stalls

Advice appreciated here!

Just purchased MV 2000 F4 750. Bike is stalling when clutch engaged & gearing down. Have covered the obvious - stale fuel. Refilled tank with high octane 98 unleaded & given the bike about a 80km run...no change.

Idle problem? Refer to workshop or do it yourself?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 08:24 PM

I'm by no means an expert on Agusta's, but I had a similar problems on a Duc I once owned, and it turned out to be a bad kick stand switch. The bike would just cut out and shut down durring hard shifts or on rough roads. I found if you tapped the switch while the bike was running you could replicate the problem. Swapped out the switch, and bingo! Problem solved. In your case, I'm not sure if thats the problem, but its worth a look.

If that doesnt seem to work or be the cause of the problem, it could also be a short somewhere in line of the N switch, which could be a little more tricky to find or track down.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 08:31 PM

If it's what I'm thinking, It's not uncommon, heres a couple of past threads on the issue with the relevant info.

http://mvagusta.net/forum/showthread...ighlight=stall

http://mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=450
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 07:43 AM
Established Member

I had a similar thing on my Ducati 996, it turned out to be damp spark plugs due to overzealous pressure washing!!!!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm...still the stalling issue???

Hi folks,

The great riding weather is upon us once again & here to stay I hope. Interestly enough the warm weather is creating havoc with my bikes stalling problem.

Stalls when clutch is engaged, changing down gears & throttle released. I had up until yesterday mastered preventing stallling by blipping the throttle
& using the clutch mighty quick. Now once the bike gets over 90c it dies completely around town & will only start upon using the ignition switch. If I leave in neutral & blip the throttle it will stall immediately stall when hot! Last week at Thredbo it stalled at slow pace whilst changing from 1st to 2nd upon throttle response. Could this be the a problem with the throttle response sensor or may the intake air temp sensor???

Bike has been dyno tuned, spark plugs replaced with iridium plugs, I'm using premium fuel & not shell??? The bike has a performance chip & standard exhaust... maybe the problem may lie here & a powercommander be the trick. Perhaps going back to a standard chip???

Apart from this annoying problem the bike rides & handles beautifully.

Look forward to your opinions.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to alvin
Very common problem, don't worry. If you do a search on stalling you will find a few threads:
http://mvagusta.net/forum/showthread...light=stalling

http://mvagusta.net/forum/showthread...light=stalling
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 08:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
Hi there, I have a similar bike set up, and although mine stalls very rarley I did do some investigating on this. Mine has a factory Corse Chip and it is so much better higher in the range I don't want to go back to standard.
The importer told me the Corse Chip is intended for racing so MV won't be modyfing that.
I still don't believe a powercomander is required and I won't be going that route, I also am not a fan of the dyno etc.
I believe they are just tricky and need to be set up correctly. My dealer here in Sydney has just taken deleivery of some very special diagnostic equipment from MV, and they are picking my bike up tomorrow to set it all up using these tools.
Also removing the outside throttle spring so it is easier to turn makes a difference.
I'll let you know.

MVA Sydney
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 09:05 PM

Lulu, sorry to hear you are still having this problem.

It is most definately a fuelling issue and easily sorted if you follow this from JamesC's FAQ

http://mvfaq.blogspot.com/2005/12/tu...ensor-tps.html
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to alvin
Please only post once, combined with your other thread
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 09:20 PM

Lulu, the first time I got my 750, it would stall similar to yours. I was running a RG3 pipes with RG3 chip and would constantly stall in traffic. I notice that the bike would pop and surge at low revs with the above setup. The bike smelt rich even with the CO2 checkout within specs as per manual.

I've since modified a standard pipe as per Casoli mod and running the RG3 chip and everything works like a treat. No more stalling in traffic and the surging at low revs has 99% completely disapprear. Only once did the engine cut out in the 3000km of riding the twisties and that was when the engine was cold.

Yes the removal of the secondary throttle spring made the bike predictable at very small opening such as when you get stuck in stop go traffic.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode