Just took the plunge on a X-Bikes Microtec ECU - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Just took the plunge on a X-Bikes Microtec ECU

Hey All.

It has been a while since I have been on the forum, but as always, when it comes to the MV, this is the place I go for info...

Anyhow, a few weeks ago, I found that a few members were talking about X-Bikes and their custom Microtec ECU pacakges for the early F41000S. I contacted Chris at X-Bikes, and he was more than helpful and answered all my questions before I dished out the cash for a new ECU kit.

I will keep everyone updated, and let you all know how the install, initial runs, and fine tuning go. This will be on my 2005, F4-1000S.

Thanks to everyone for making this forum what it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 03:36 AM

Have met Chris,and he knows his stuff,keep us posted on the new purchase and results

cheers eddy
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 10:40 AM
X81

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddypro View Post
Have met Chris,and he knows his stuff,keep us posted on the new purchase and results

cheers eddy

I'm still too scared to go back to Oz after meeting you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 12:43 PM
Established Member

Best thing I ever did for my 2007 F4R was to fit a Microtec from X-Bikes. Chris sent me several maps to find the best one and it has transformed the bike. Throttle is smooth as glass without the factory jerkiness that made smooth riding difficult. Cooling fans come on sooner and keep the temp down in traffic. Well worth the $.

Eric
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 04:48 PM

Maybe, I will come looking for you next year,

cheers the Godfather
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

OK here is the latest on the new ECU.

Got the kit from Chris @ X-Bikes. Very nice setup. Consdering how busy the guy is, I am amazed at how much time he puts into the kits he sells, as well as the time he spends supporting them.

I was supplied with the new M232 ECU, so lots of new features including multiple maps (5), direct lambda connection (ie, no hideously expensive Microtec unit), launch control, traction control, pit lane speed limiter, quickshifting, and all the other goodies from the past ECU's. It also allowed for switchover from the wasted spark setup, to a semi-sequential configuration with individual control of each injector, as opposed to the stock setup where #1/#3 and #2/#4 injectors were ran in pairs.

The price of the ECU is seems very reasonable considering that it is a custom, plug in kit that literally took about 30 minutes to install after all the bodywork, tank and airbox were stripped off. Very professional wiring setup, and a sweet looking laser cut bracket with the X-Bikes logo cut in. Aside from a few washers used to space the bracket up a few mm on the stock anti-vibration mounts, it was super easy. X-Bikes does all the heavy lifting on this one.

As the stock wiring harness is retained, and is a sizable beast, I removed a small piece of factory heat shrink from the stock connector in order to allow the stock wiring to flex enough to allow it all to fit neatly tucked into the area under the seat pad. Given that this space used to be occupied by the power commander, I am not too worried about the space being eaten up.

The Microtec has to be half the weight of the older Marelli brick, and looks a lot cleaner. Chris put a bunch of factory style connectors in place to plug in all the optional parts (lambda, traction, launch, etc), so we are are pretty future proofed at this point.

Just got the basic wiring plugged in for now, and there will be some more to do once we get the speed sensor(s) integrated in to the ECU for traction / launch control. Gonna do this in baby steps in order to ensure everything works properly.

Now I just have to get a O2 / Lambda bung welded into the Titanium exhaust, and we can put the bike back together.

The software loaded into my Windows 8 laptop with no issues, and the CAN / progamming adapter immediately was recognized, so getting online with the ECU took only a few minutes. A few more to read over the intructions, check the diagnostics page to ensure that everything was powered up / reading correctly, and to load the maps / configuration provided by Chris.

TPS has now been calibrated via the software (super easy, and well documented by Chris in PDF format).

Software is pretty intimidating at first. I am a hardcore robotics / controls programmer, so even though i completely understand the hardware aspects of the ECU and albeit the software is pretty simple to operate, there is a staggering amount of options to tune for anything and everything. I am glad Chris did all the hard work, and that I only have to fine tune a little. Once I get the nack of all the options, I am sure I will start to play with some of the advanced tuning.

Gonna be fun.

A few pics attached, but I will post more info and progress photos as time permits.
Attached Images

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 05:45 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Sweet! Looks very tidy.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks esq'z me.

It definitely does look pretty clean so far. Mostly a testament to the X-Bikes harness / mounting plate design.

I am still pondering the thought of breaking the factory harness apart and permanently wiring the new ECU directly to the bike without the "plug-and-play" connector. But first we will get everything working as is, and once I am happy with how everything performs, it may become a small winter project to redo the wiring.

The ability to go back to the old ECU at the moment is a nice thought, even just to compare performance, but in all reality, with the level of tuning offered by the Microtec, and the fact that I will likely never sell this bike, stripping the extra weight, getting my under seat storage space back, and eliminating the chance of electrical problems at the connectors (more connectors, more chance of problems), makes the idea of a permanent conversion all the more attractive. The connectors actually use more space than the ECU itself!

Only time will tell...
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Well, small progress made today.

Got the titanium O2 sensor bung machined to fit the exhaust pipework (2" diameter). Went pretty easy with the help of a buddies lathe, a 2" hole saw and lots of coolant.

We are going to try and fit the sensor immediately below the right foot peg with the sensor wiring coming out underneath the rear brake lever, and having the wiring come up between the frame plate and the engine along with the factory harness. Just have to temporarily clamp it in place and put the bodywork back on in order to make sure we have enough room / clearance. I am pretty confident it will fit though.

Now I just have to wait for my welding supplier to get me some titanium welding wire and we should be ready to break out the TIG torch.

Can't wait to try out the auto tune, and possibly the closed loop O2 correction in the ECU.
Attached Images

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 05:11 AM
X81

M232 Ecu

Thanks for the kind words

I'm hoping that this updated upgrade will essentially offer all of the 1.6M bikes with as much or possibly more functionality and control than upto and including the 2012 F4RR.

This new generation Microtec is a huge leap forward as you've seen and it's worh the effort this end for me to bring as much online as possible.

But potentially we'll be able to offer.
  • Individual fuel maps per cylinder (as per the old M180)
  • Ignition table (as per old M180)
  • Gear position data (as per old M180 but never brought on line)
  • Rate of change traction control (selection of 32 trigger points and correction maps each for ignition and fuel correction)
  • 10 way traction switch (dial in % of fuel or ign correction to receive for each activation point) (requires aux channel swap over)
  • Launch control (works only in 1st)
  • Pit lane limiter (works only in 1st)
  • Gear based igntion offsets (wet maps/town maps)
  • Gear specific quick shift kill times incl no shift in 6th to 7th
  • Map selection
  • Aux channel for aftermarket Lambda controller (huge step forward as these can be cost effective now)
  • Lambda control now for closed loop AFR monitoring or Autotuning. Up to 2 lambda channels can be used and sampled.
  • EBS control
Plus a load of other stuff i've probably forgotten.

All in all i think it's an upgrade to the 1.6M based bikes now that brings them as bang up to date as is possible whilst working within the constraints of the original bike and wiring.

The price is going to change but for now i'm working on the best way possible to supply and price things as per a customers requirements.

Now all i need is the Eldor based ECU to be available and i can go play with the Fly by wire stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode