What Did I Do To My Clutch? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

What Did I Do To My Clutch?

Hey,

So I'm still pretty new to my MV Agusta and well, bikes in general so this is probably an idiot question, but I trust you guys.

I went to take my 04 brutale 750s off the battery tender and get it ready for the season. (Had to have surgery so I'm getting a late start anyway). I started the bike and let it sit in neutral for about 10 minutes, revved a few times and decided it was good to go. I turned it off, unplugged it from the tender and started it up no problem; however, as soon as i popped it into gear, the bike stalled.

I cycled through the gears 20-30 times and it couldn't find neutral at all, the rear wheel wouldn't unlock, and every time i tried to restart it, the bike just jumped forward a few inches and stalled again.

I put it back on the battery tender and waited a week, still won't start or find neutral. Fluid levels are all good, and frankly I can't feel any difference in whether the clutch is engaging or not when I pull it in.

So far it's been suggested to me to check both points on the clutch cable, confirm that the clutch is moving where it enters the crank case, try rocking it back and forth a bit with the clutch in, and try to bump start it down hill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 10:43 AM

obvious question- is the side stand up?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 10:47 AM

New Site Garage
Sticky plates??

What a beast of a motorcycle!
It growls and rages and flies across the tarmac like a wild animal that has escaped the confinement of a cage and after merely waiting restlessly until the release, will not endure being locked up ever again.

Skye I miss you. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by number2 View Post
obvious question- is the side stand up?
lol yes, the side stand was up
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 11:04 AM

New Site Garage
clutch cable on a 750, its hydraulic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petethepianist View Post

So far it's been suggested to me to check both points on the clutch cable, confirm that the clutch is moving where it enters the crank case, try rocking it back and forth a bit with the clutch in, and try to bump start it down hill.

4,5Mg~3Al~2Ti~Fe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 11:10 AM

First off you're going to have to find neutral. Rocking the bike back and forth will allow one to get through the hears and find neutral. (((Don't try to bump start it if you can't find neutral, or you'll not be able to stop the bike without cutting it off. I can just picture some guy rolling down to the bottom of a hill with the bike running and no way to stop it when panic sets in and they both go rolling into something or someone.))) Once you have N you can determine if your clutch rod is releasing the pressure plate when the clutch lever is pulled in. And yes, your bike has a clutch master not a clutch cable. If the hydraulic assembly is working properly you should feel a decent amount of resistance at the lever then a slight relief of that pressure once one gets past half way in the lever throw, or at the very least close to the end of the lever travel. To be sure one could take off the oil fill cap and look in on the clutch assembly from above(may require a flashlight) to see if the pressure plate is moving at all. Get that far and let us know what you find out.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 11:12 AM
Al-

two possibilities:

1) the clutch isn't full disengaging because the hydraulics need to be bled or maybe be leaking fluid past the seal on the slave

2) its been sitting all winter and the clutch plates are sticking even when it is full disengaged
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 08:42 AM

well Pete you are a pianist so that means you may not have a lot of common sense . That is a joke.

Agree you need to find neutral. Make sure there is plenty of fluid in the master cylinder. Take the cap off the reservoir for the clutch and pull the lever in slowly. Too fast and you may be wearing the fluid. Make sure you do not see any bubbles. If the hydraulic portion is working correctly then the plates are stuck. If the hydraulics are not working then the plates will never release and you will not find neutral. Does the lever fell firm when it is depressed or does it move easily without much resistance? If there is firm pressure then it probably does not need to be bled? If it moves easily with little resistance then you may have some air in the line. If you know how to bleed the system do that. Open the bleed valve down at the bottom of the line where it enters the clutch assy. Just enough to allow a little to bleed out. Keep a wrench on the valve and at the same time slowly press the clutch lever. If there is any air you will see bubbles. If not you will only see fluid. Before releasing the lever close the valve so as not to pull air back into the line. If bleeding does not solve the problem you may need to disassemble the clutch or take it to a dealer
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al- View Post
two possibilities:

1) the clutch isn't full disengaging because the hydraulics need to be bled or maybe be leaking fluid past the seal on the slave

2) its been sitting all winter and the clutch plates are sticking even when it is full disengaged
Al, I've got to thank you for this, I was able to determine it was an issue with the slave. Gave in and had it replaced, (i won't lie to myself, I wasn't prepared to attempt fixing that myself), and it's up and running again. Finally get to enjoy my summer... well, whenever the rain lets up.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 03:01 PM
Al-

no problem, thats what the community is for. I've gotten a ton of advice on here, so I help out whenever I can.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode