Service query, rear hub - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Service query, rear hub

So recently I have had a major service on my bike, and asked for the rear hub to be looked at.
The last place I took it too, said it was starting to rust/fuse and that it should probably be replaced at next service. They greased/lubed it up real good and reassembled it.
A few months pass with riding in all seasons and weather and about 6,000km..

So I've taken it to another shop, and asked it to be looked at. I know it's condition is not great, but the current shop hasn't mentioned anything about it, even though I asked for it to be looked at.
The few times I've rung and asked what condition I was in, I'm told "mechanic that worked on it is not here". I've asked for calls back and never get one. I pick it up in the next few days but I'm wondering how should I approach this?

+80
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 07:16 PM

New Site Garage
Check through the "maint" section mate, lots of info on the hubs. Not sure what the first dealer meant about rust, it's alloy and can't rust, if the bearings where rusty, they'd have given up by now.

If I was you, I'd buy a new bearing, and find someone that can and will replace it for you, someone a bit smarter than the one's you've been to already. The manual suggests when the bearing should be replaced, I'll go with that for sure. Only replace the problematic bearing, and just service the other bearing.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 08:15 PM

Ben,

if you can ride or trailer the bike to me up near Peats Ridge I'll show you how to pull the hub out and check it.

Cheers
Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Cheers Donsy.

Hopefully u can find the manual on my PC when I get home..

And intrigued by your rust comment.
The previous place said they had to hammer it out as it had fused (to something, I'm nt sure)..

+80
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Hey Rsawkins I may just do that.

I'm getting her thursday. going for a blat that day. hopefully sometime in the future I can ride up and you can teach me how to service these babys

+80
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 04:10 AM

New Site Garage
Smile Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3nje909 View Post
teach me how to service these babys
Now that is great news Ben, I remember you telling me " I just ride them, don't work on them" a couple of months ago. You'll enjoy it mate, even more when you see how much money you can save yourself. Pretty sure the good man Richard will sort you out just fine.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 05:39 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3nje909 View Post
And intrigued by your rust comment.
The previous place said they had to hammer it out as it had fused (to something, I'm nt sure)..
Not unusual to have to give the axle a good whack with a piece of wood board and mallet to get it out....especially the first time.

I had to do that on my 910R, but there wasn't anything wrong with the hub or axle. Just stuck.

Service routinely and enjoy life.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 10:45 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink ?

Ben;
the axle and inner race of the 3810-2RS rust together because of too high a torque value makes the bearing get hot, forcing air from the hub.....

as it cools, it draws moist air (evening/night) causing the rust

the Factory spec'd torque (28-32Nm) is too high for the bearing

lots of people that have never ridden in rain or washed their bikes had the problem

I measured the bearing distortion at different torque levels.....the inner race starts collapsing at under 28Nm, measure it, I posted it

I recommend 15lbft/20Nm

I've had bikes fresh from an MV shop with the pinch bolts at over 80lbft/108Nm

I've sold over 300, 3810-2RS bearings and precisely 1 needle bearing......the grease seal was cut and the bearing was dry

not much to service in the hub......and absolutely no reason to replace it at 22,500mi like it says in the service manual

Mitch Hubs come with an O-ring to seal the bearing to the axle......I use them and drill a vent hole on the bottom of mine

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode