Bizarre electrical gremlin (312R) - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Question Bizarre electrical gremlin (312R)

Ok, so I've been trying to trace this little bugger for a while now and I believe it's time to ask for adult assistance.

The problem is, the right indicators (front and rear) stay illuminated when the ignition is on. I've read through the manual and it says that it should only do that if one bulb is dead, or the relay is bad (or the switch). I think it could be sticking, but I'm not sure. I've taken the relay off the bike and tapped it a few times, but nothing (usually works for any other relays I've come across at work or in cars). The left indicator works perfectly and sometimes when I use the left indicator for a few blinks the switch to the right, the right starts working properly. I'll stop the blinky blinky and after a few seconds, the right indicators will just come back on steady.

This has only happened once before after I rode down a dusty road and parked for an hour or so. Then I went for a brief ride and the indicators went back to normal, so I ignored it. Now my baby has been sitting in my living room for about 5 months and someone apparently spilled some water on Gizmo.. Or put him in bright light... Or fed him after midnight.. Who knows! Either way, this thing is being a pain in my ass.

Anyone have any ideas or encountered this issue before? Many thanks!

*And just for the record, I used the search function and couldn't find anything like this*

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. - George S. Patton
2008 MV F4 312R -- Luna (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 MV Turismo Veloce 800 -- Sol (SOLD)

Last edited by J_Spec; 02-06-2014 at 12:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 04:03 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink

Nick;
clean the contacts in the switch and check the wires to and from the right indicators

its not the flasher, it doesn't know which side its blinking (only 2 wires

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Thanks Noel, I tried disconnecting the flasher completely earlier and it made no difference. So like you said, definitely not that. Traced all the wires and they're all dandy. I'll try taking the switch apart, but I think I have to go buy a 90 degree Phillips. I seem to have misplaced mine. I'll post up after I've dissected the switch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 07:18 PM

New Site Garage
Could you have a bad wire somewhere? I mean where the wire is bad inside the plastic coating to which you can not see. I by accident ran the wires on my mirror supports incorrectly and the pinching of the wire caused one to wear thin and expose the wire to a metal contact point. Found this only after 3 relay switches.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 07:59 PM

Nick;
it's almost always the switch......moisture gets in it

you should have a Bimmer with 2 indicator switches that aren't "supposed" to come apart......oh, yeah?

POS

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Ok, FINALLY got the switch apart after much fiddling and swearing. Cleaned the contacts up, snapped everything back together, put the nose on and... Lights are still on. Could be a short somewhere, but I doubt it. The indicators work properly after a bit of fiddling, but the lights just go steady again after a few seconds. A bit more knob-dicking and the indicators work properly for a few blinks and go back to steady. Bike running or just ignition on, there's no difference.

Andrew, I'll trace the wires again, but I left my multimeters at work. Only way to get there is fly and I'm not going back for three weeks... Figures.

Noel, I'll pass on the bimmer. You can have fun with that. Lol.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 08:41 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Have you loosened the 2 fairing bolts and moved the plates where the contacts are for the front indicators.Those contacts can drive you insane.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
The contacts are fine. I tried disconnecting the rear signals and I think that's where the problem is. Now I just have to figure this thing out.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 09:35 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Spec View Post

Noel, I'll pass on the bimmer. You can have fun with that. Lol.
commonly refereed to as a Bummer, its an R1150GS, my trash hauler.....I don't drive a car

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 09:44 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Have you got the original rear indicators or LED replacement.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode