Gearbox bearings - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Question Gearbox bearings

I guess this one is aimed at Donsy and Noel as I'm not sure who else has had a gearbox in pieces....

The replacement I bought from Time Machine Bikes was no good as it would appear the R312 has larger shafts than the 1000S & R. Lesson learned..

I'm hoping that replacing all of the needle roller bearings (8000A0370 ) in the main and counter shaft will solve the wining gearbox. (2 on the main shaft and 4 on the counter shaft)

If the 2 main bearings in the case look OK (8000A1086 & 8000A2318) feel OK should these be replaced also? Should I replace the 2 seals (800064296 & 800089410) while I have it in pieces?

Thanks
J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 04:25 AM

New Site Garage
No harm in replacing them Jeremy, I didn't replace mine, but next time I will for sure. Also make sure you don't damage the seal on the gear selector shaft and clutch push rod shaft, they are the first to go.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks Dons.
I will definately replace the 3 seals. The 2 larger bearings are quite expensive..

How do you deal with the 2 circlips on the main shaft that had been ground down to fit inside the gears? What a pain they were to remove as there is not much for the circlip pliers to hold on to...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 07:14 AM

New Site Garage
I'd be surprised if the bearing's caused the noise, but no expert, mine stopped sounding like a Boeing after I rebuilt, but I didn't replace the bearing's. Those circlip's are crazy, you should see them on the race box. :'(

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 08:42 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Whining sound is likely coming from tight gear tooth lash, not bearings. One set of gears have teeth slightly tight (not a problem except noise). Loose gear tooth lash usually makes rattle noise.
Transmission circlips are critical parts. Make sure the sharp edge is facing the direction of thrust. Replace if at all tweaked during removal.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
I'd be surprised if the bearing's caused the noise, but no expert, mine stopped sounding like a Boeing after I rebuilt, but I didn't replace the bearing's. Those circlip's are crazy, you should see them on the race box. :'(
Do you know the cause if it wasn't the bearings?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 10:59 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink

Ed;
tight gears would eat bearings, never seen any tight gears.....I used to build GM Muncies, T-10s and Honda car trannys

bad bearings whine......bad ball bearings usually tear the cage up and get ugly, throwing cage pieces into the gears

that's why you put the special slotted shim behind the input shaft bearing on GM Muncies and T-10s.....to keep trash out of the gears

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 07:19 AM
Old Wing Nut

Not tight like root to tip fit, tight like face to face fit...lash. Ever hear a rear diff with gears not shimmed right? I've seen it in transmissions too, manufacturing tolerance stack. Rare, but it happens.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 11:50 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Not tight like root to tip fit, tight like face to face fit...lash. Ever hear a rear diff with gears not shimmed right? I've seen it in transmissions too, manufacturing tolerance stack. Rare, but it happens.
the sides of gears where they bear on shims is smooth....no way to make noise.....thats side play not lash

spider, side gears and ring and pinions are whole different can of worms.....its depth of engagement of the gears

lash or backlash is the play between two meshing sets of gear teeth

Kawasakis and new BMWs have a spring loaded sheet metal gear off set to the main gear on clutch baskets.....to cut down on noise, maybe other bikes do too

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Last edited by theknurl; 01-31-2014 at 12:01 AM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 05:25 AM
Old Wing Nut

Yep, I know why the diff gears whine when not shimmed correctly....that's just what I was talking about.mdepth of engagement changes lash.
Lots of bikes with scissor gears out there. The TL1000 Suzuki, among others, has them on the cam gears. Primary gears are quite common. The new Indian Thunderstroke has scissor gears.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode