Misfiring at idle and low RPM - 2009 F4 312R - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Misfiring at idle and low RPM - 2009 F4 312R

Geniuses,

I searched and the only common thing I found on here is the Engine Braking Solenoid (EBS) however I'm unsure if that's the issue with my bike.

When it gets hot, it sometimes drops one cylinder at idle and part throttle. Give it 40-50% throttle during acceleration and it runs on all four again. Usually lasts for a couple of minutes. Typically happens after 20+ minutes of riding when you come to a stop at the lights.

Often, if you give it a few 10k revs blips, the problem goes away (while everyone around looks at you for being an attention seeking whore revving his bike).

Doesn't really feel like a coil or plug because at low RPM but high load, it runs OK. Sticky injector? Any other common problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 03:07 AM

New Site Garage
No EBS relay on the 312's mate, so you can rule that out, might be a fouled injector but that would get worse as you rev it I recon. I would look at a bad spark plug instead. How many k's on the bike, have you serviced the fuel system at all ?

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

Bike has 9,200km and has had this fault for about 6 months. Only happens once every few rides and hasn't been getting worse since I bought it.

Only done oil, filter, rear hub and high brightness LED brake light, otherwise it's stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 03:55 AM
Established Member

My 2008 R312 has an EBS relay.... I know I had to blank it off when I installed the auto tune.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 04:13 AM

The engine braking system on F4 1000R and later models is controlled by the ECU, not a separate solenoid/relay like on the F4 1000S models.
Lcioz, look at your spark plugs, if in doubt change them out, clean fuel system and replace the fuel filter, check fuel hoses for deterioration. I did have a coil break down on our 1000R, so it does happen.
jimboF4
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboF4 View Post
I did have a coil break down on our 1000R, so it does happen.
jimboF4
+1
I was experiencing the same symptoms and had to replace the #3 ignition coil pack at just over 10k miles.

Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... ~Hunter S. Thompson
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icioz View Post
Geniuses,

I searched and the only common thing I found on here is the Engine Braking Solenoid (EBS) however I'm unsure if that's the issue with my bike.

When it gets hot, it sometimes drops one cylinder at idle and part throttle. Give it 40-50% throttle during acceleration and it runs on all four again. Usually lasts for a couple of minutes. Typically happens after 20+ minutes of riding when you come to a stop at the lights.

Often, if you give it a few 10k revs blips, the problem goes away (while everyone around looks at you for being an attention seeking whore revving his bike).

Doesn't really feel like a coil or plug because at low RPM but high load, it runs OK. Sticky injector? Any other common problems?

An easy item to check here is your Crank position sensor and it's wire which is positioned left side of bike adjacent to F4 cover plate.
CPS get cranky ( pun intended ) when hot if faulty and the wires can get damaged also...Anyway easy thing to check.

also have a look at the throttle body rubbers and clamps,,you may have an air leak..Oh and vacuum take offs that they are sealed properly and the little rubber caps aren't screwed.

joe

Last edited by gotojoe; 01-19-2014 at 07:39 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 09:48 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivere View Post
My 2008 R312 has an EBS relay.... I know I had to blank it off when I installed the auto tune.
Those things you blocked of are the second air system that allows fresh air into the exhaust to help with burning left over hydrocarbons and heating the catalytic converter. Controlled by the ECU via a relay/solenoid valve. They don't affect performance at all, but will confuse an auto-tune.

I'm going with fouling plug, possibly failing coil. Randarosa had a poor idle/low speed issue, VDST showed a DTC for #1 coil which we replaced as part of a good tune up.....that bike runs really good now!!

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 11:07 AM

New Site Garage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivere View Post
Show me and i'll apologize .

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 03:32 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboF4 View Post
The engine braking system on F4 1000R and later models is controlled by the ECU, not a separate solenoid/relay like on the F4 1000S models.
Lcioz, look at your spark plugs, if in doubt change them out, clean fuel system and replace the fuel filter, check fuel hoses for deterioration. I did have a coil break down on our 1000R, so it does happen.
jimboF4
Controlled by the ECU which switches a relay to activate a solenoid. Easy enough to rule out by unplugging the solenoid, or blocking off the hose..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Show me and i'll apologize .
No need Donsy..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode