2010 1090RR: Oil leak observed at cylinder #1, at head gasket joint - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

2010 1090RR: Oil leak observed at cylinder #1, at head gasket joint

Question: Did MV provide a drilled weep hole passageway in the cylinder head, to drain any oil leaking from the cam box into the recess for spark plugs?

Elaboration: At 7,5000 miles, I removed valve cover to check valve lash. Upon reassembly, I replaced the valve cover gasket (#24 below) and used silicone sealant in half moon recesses per MV workshop manual. I DID NOT replace seals #25 or #25, nor did I replace o-rings #5 #16.

Upon putting engine back into service, I now have a slight weep of oil below exhaust port #1. There is zero indication of oil running down the outside of the cylinder head. Talcum powder and several other methods of oil detection have been used. However, the joint between the head and the cylinder block are wet below exhaust port #1.

It appears to me, that MV has a drilling approximately 2.0mm in diameter, below each exhaust port. I noticed this drilling to be wet with engine oil. I can insert a plastic tube as found on a can of WD-40 or Contact Cleaner into this hole to a depth of approximately 50mm.

I have since ordered the above referenced parts and in advance of pulling the valve cover, and making the inspection myself, I have the following question.

Might someone with personal experience with this engine know the answer? Does this drilling lead to the chamber around the spark plugs?

Ciao,
Dick
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 04:49 PM

Hi Dick,

What a good question ! I have now retrieved a cam cap bolt from the waste trap in the sink as a consequence of trying to answer it lol.

The answer is yes. There are four passage ways as you describe and they each lead to a spark plug well to drain off oil / water

I tested by pouring some baby oil down the spark plug wells in my ( off the bike ) 1000R cylinder head and sure enough it pees out of the little orifice under the exhaust port.

My hands are now lovely and soft ha ha

Logical to assume it is same basic system for your bike.

joe
Attached Images

Last edited by gotojoe; 01-15-2014 at 04:57 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 08:02 PM

Yes, the 1090 is the same. While you have the rocker cover off, make sure to check the cam chain tensioner. They have a propensity to jam and will not move in or out.
There is a gradual increase in engine noise as the chain stretches and starts to slap around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 05:55 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Common to almost all bikes, at least every one I have worked on......yes, there is a passage drilled to allow fluids to escape from the spark plug well. You likely dislodged the seal on the valve cover for that particular plug.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 02:00 AM
Established Member

i have a same problem after change the spark plug my f4 y10 ..
anyone can help?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 03:44 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
You likely dislodged the seal on the valve cover for that particular plug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andikaei View Post
i have a same problem after change the spark plug my f4 y10 ..
anyone can help?
There you go.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 06:38 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
There you go.
what part number that i have to check or replace #25 or #24???

its leak from 4 hole cylinder i think maybe because i change the spark with ngk cr9eix ??? or maybe I did not tighten too strong ????
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 09:56 AM
Banned

That's a nice design/
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 10:31 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:

its leak from 4 hole cylinder i think maybe because i change the spark with ngk cr9eix ??? or maybe I did not tighten too strong ????
#4 cylinder would be #25.....but kind of unusual to dislodge or damage that seal just changing a spark plug. Did you remove the cylinder head cover?

Confirm the oil is coming from the drain hole before going further. Could be from the head cover perimeter seal # 24 (much more common). Since the bike leans to the left on the side stand, oil pools in the left front corner and will leak from the cover seal in that area....especially once the head cover is removed and seal not replaced.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 10:39 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:

No mate, spark plug torque has nothing to do with your oil leak, either you messed up a seal, or you had an existing leak which just popped up while you changed the spark plug, you will probably want to replace all those seals (24&25), but it depends your skill's mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Kincaid View Post
That's a nice design/
As usual, your technical feedback is amazing...........

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode