Another cam chain tensioner question - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Another cam chain tensioner question

I have a 2004 750 Brutale and it recomends replacing the cam chain tensioner at 36000klms. What actually wears out in these, I have read all the posts on this web site and understand about the ones that were replaced under warranty. On the 750's it appears to me the only thing that would need replacing is the spring which could loose its tennsion from the engine heat, would it be possible to remove the large bolt in the middle of the tensioner and replace the spring, saving all the work removing the tank and rocker cover.

Graeme.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 04:46 PM

New Site Garage
No mate, rather do it the right way.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 05:47 PM

Donsy is 100% correct, do it right, your bike is ten years old, replace the part, trying to be cheap will cost you a great deal of money if it let's go.

JimboF4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 06:04 PM

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ian SAVS
Agreed. Do it right mate. It's worth the peace of mind.

What we've got here, is failure to communicate.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys, ordering the part today.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 09:00 PM

The one in my 2004 750 Brutale lasted 8.5 years and 97000km.... When the tensioner stops doing it's job properly you will hear a VERY different noise from the engine. After that the chain gradually eats the chain guides and then snaps. I'm pretty sure MV never tested the engines or anything else much past 36000km and that's why everything is listed to be replaced at that point.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 05:27 AM

Send a message via MSN to DimST Send a message via Yahoo to DimST
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsawkins View Post
The one in my 2004 750 Brutale lasted 8.5 years and 97000km.... When the tensioner stops doing it's job properly you will hear a VERY different noise from the engine. After that the chain gradually eats the chain guides and then snaps. I'm pretty sure MV never tested the engines or anything else much past 36000km and that's why everything is listed to be replaced at that point.
I don't know if I'm putting you in trouble but as far I understand you keep a history log for your bikes, I would really like to see a post - if you haven't done it yet, with your experience from your Brutale after all those Kms.

thanks in advance
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 12:23 PM
JDS
King of Bling

Send a message via MSN to JDS
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsawkins View Post
You could have a very good point there ..

EMAIL :
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimST View Post
I don't know if I'm putting you in trouble but as far I understand you keep a history log for your bikes, I would really like to see a post - if you haven't done it yet, with your experience from your Brutale after all those Kms.

thanks in advance
I don't really have a log, but I have almost all the receipts with costs and km on them. Is that the sort of info you are after or something else ?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

I replaced the cam chain tensioner the other day, the bike has travelled 37000 klms as you can see from the pictures the only problem seems to be the little spring that operates the pawl on the extension arm, the internal tension spring seems to have the same tension as the new one, I have not moved the the arm since I pulled it out so you could assume the cam chain is still in good condition. While I had the rocker cover off I checked the valve clearance and that was all in the tolerance specified in the manual. The tank was off so I decided to replace the plastic fuel line fitting on the tank, with the metal ones, these were purchased from Trooper Lu's in Sydney. I would like to thank members on this site for there posts and information regarding these jobs undertaken.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode