Front-end Chatter Under Hard Braking - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Front-end Chatter Under Hard Braking

As the title says, I'm getting some front-end chatter and noise under medium to hard braking. Just checked with a digital caliper and the rotors are not warped. I did a visual check with a flashlight and the pads seem to have plenty of life left in them; but I believe they're also the original set. Getting ready for a 10,200 mile (18,000 km) service, should I go ahead and replace the front pads as well?

Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... ~Hunter S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 04:24 PM
Established Member

I had front end vibration on hard braking with one of my old Sportsters when the neck bearings were a tad loose. If you can't find anything wrong with the brakes, might want to check those bearings.

Eric
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 04:38 PM

pads may be glazed, on a flat surface with emery cloth, rub the pads across the cloth, that'll clean the glazing off. Additionally some scotch brite on the discs and or brake cleaner to the discs (don't get on paint as it'll ruin it).

The final thing you can try is to make sure the buttons are free - these are the buttons holding the discs to the carriers.

I'd be inclined to just put on new pads.

Chris
2014 B3 Brutale 800
That's Giuliano Maoggi and the start of the 1956 Motogiro d'Italia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 07:51 PM

New Site Garage
Do you feel the "chatter" in the lever, then it's brakes. If not, lift the front off the ground and feel the front-end for play, sounds like the steering bearings to me, might just need tensioning.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 09:28 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
I'm with Donsy, headstock play......unless you're getting pulsing in the lever

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 02:30 AM

New Site Garage
When I got my bike it had the same kind of problem but also under soft braking. My friends just made the joke to break harder (like really hard)... So I did next to cleaning the brakes and that worked reasonably well... At least it became much less.

What a beast of a motorcycle!
It growls and rages and flies across the tarmac like a wild animal that has escaped the confinement of a cage and after merely waiting restlessly until the release, will not endure being locked up ever again.

Skye I miss you. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 08:58 AM

Service the front end is my suggestion : )

Clean the discs...I would dump the pads as they have had a fair service life but it is your dollar ; )

Torque up the bearing carrier ring.( have a look in the manuals for torque setting ...or the whole lot will be loose. Adjust the steering bearings..Contact plus 10 degrees angular.

If it has been loose then check that the steering isn't indexing through damage to the bearing races.

joe
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 09:40 PM
Established Member

I have been experiencing this and have just checked mine to find it was loose. According to the manual you "screw down the steering pin, without tightening and tighten another 10degrees"
I assume this means tighten until there is no slop in the steering bearings? How tight is too tight?

Also, is the steering nut supposed to be stiff to tighten?

Thanks!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 02:14 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivere View Post
I have been experiencing this and have just checked mine to find it was loose. According to the manual you "screw down the steering pin, without tightening and tighten another 10degrees"
I assume this means tighten until there is no slop in the steering bearings? How tight is too tight?

Also, is the steering nut supposed to be stiff to tighten?

Thanks!
If you do it according to the workshop manual, it would be hard to overtighten it. Remove the steering damper and that way you will feel if the bearing is too tight.
Steering nut should not be tight to turn, have you removed the top yoke ?

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 06:50 PM
Established Member

Hi Dons
Yes, I had the lower yoke in only and it certainly wasn't hard to turn at all so i guess I must have it about right.
Thanks

Last edited by vivere; 01-02-2014 at 09:39 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode