Turn signal connects - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Turn signal connects

Keep di-electric grease away from the bullet connector pins. The contact area is tiny and unlike Lucar connects there is no spring action pressing the male and female terminals together. So if you overdo it with the grease it the result will be the male contact pin floats in a coating of insulating grease.

It takes very little contamination of the pins to break continuity.

I found a little WD 40 and making and breaking the connection a few times is very "conducive to making things conductive"

IMHO they need to be cleaned at service time with a bit of WD40 and making and breaking the connection a few times to clean it up .It's very common for them to stop working through a dry or contaminated connection.

Not good.

Joe

Last edited by gotojoe; 12-09-2013 at 04:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 02:05 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Good tip Joe,they are fiddly little suckers.Also if you happen to snap off one of those locating pins,you can drill and tap to 4mm,screw in a bolt and cut to length,it's there for life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
2 good tips!!!!

When I start putting Lola back in street trim these will likely come in handy!

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 03:27 PM
cus

"conducive to making things conductive"
Try saying that five times fast.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Try saying five times fast five times fast ; )
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Cyber SPOTTER

I must admit I gave up with mine about 3 years ago - I hard wired them with bullet connectors (I think I did a thread here with pics about it) and end of problem forever, especially the need to be micro precise with the tightening of the allen bolt that holds the fairing stay so that the blinkers work.

The system was a great idea and fantastic when it worked well.

Joe, I think the use of di-electric grease was my main problem looking back now - great post and excellent tip for others

MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 02:04 AM

New Site Garage
Joe's right, better to use Conductive grease in cases like that - http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=NA1034 , save the dielectric grease for places you need waterproofing. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/3907...=true&lpid=103

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Last edited by Donsy; 12-10-2013 at 04:16 AM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVista View Post
I must admit I gave up with mine about 3 years ago - I hard wired them with bullet connectors (I think I did a thread here with pics about it) and end of problem forever, especially the need to be micro precise with the tightening of the allen bolt that holds the fairing stay so that the blinkers work.

The system was a great idea and fantastic when it worked well.

Joe, I think the use of di-electric grease was my main problem looking back now - great post and excellent tip for others

I'm with you on the contact plate Rob. Freakin nightmare to get working and when it does you are left with the sneaking feeling it may let you down sometime critical.

I am leaning heavily towards doing what you did Rob on the F4s.

It doesn't do in modern traffic conditions to be making turns without signalling properly..It's crazy enough out there as it is..

Joe
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 02:35 PM
cus

Hand signals ? Still use them on my Ducati and have yet to have one not work or get stuck on
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

I wish Cus.

Tried that on my previous Jota coming out of Portsmouth one dark night...Almost ended up wearing a 40 ft truck .....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode